Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chapter 37

“I’m sorry,” Jon said sheepishly.

“You’re sorry,” Melissa asked as Jon nodded. “For what?”

“I’m not exactly sure, but I was married long enough to know that ‘we need to talk’ really means ‘you’re in trouble,’ and I’m pretty sure I didn’t mean it. So I’m sorry.”

Melissa let out a laugh releasing a majority of her apprehension. “You don’t even want to know what you did?”

“So I did do something, huh,” Jon asked.

“Well yeah, but I don’t think you meant to. But we need some ground rules, I think that’s how Richie put it,” Melissa said.

Jon picked his head up at the mention of his friend’s name, “Richie,” he asked.

“Yeah, I talked to him last night. I need to talk to a friend and Angela just wasn’t cutting it,” she said.

“Why didn’t you come to me,” Jon asked.

“I just needed to talk to someone us from an objective-ish perspective, and I don’t think you really qualify for that. Why, are you mad,” she asked not knowing if she wanted to hear his answer.

“No, not really. I mean of course you can talk to Richie; I’m not about to tell you that you cant. I’m glad that you guys are friends, I just like being the one that you come to when you need something. Besides it still kinda throws me off that you can tolerate being in the same room as him let alone go to talk to him. He and my ex weren’t usually on speaking terms. Anyway you talked to Richie,” Jon said shaking his ex out of his head.

“Can I ask you something,” Melissa asked.

“Of course,” Jon answered curiously.

“And you’ll give me an honest answer,” Melissa asked.

“Melissa what’s wrong,” Jon asked and she shot him a ‘just answer the question’ look. “I promise.”

“What are we doing,” Melissa asked, holding her breath waiting for his answer.

“Right now, I’m not quite sure, talking,” Jon said genuinely confused.

“No I mean us, what are we doing? What are we trying to do?”

“Ooooh, one of those questions,” Jon said taking a breath. “I’ll start with the basics? We are dating; you are my girlfriend, which handily makes me your boyfriend. We’re getting to know each other, which we’ve done, wonders at. I know your two best friends and now you’ve met all of mine, and my daughter. How am I doing?”

“Good, but why are we doing this? No why are you doing this,” Melissa said trying to ask the right question to hear what she needed.

“Why? Because I enjoy your company, and you are an amazing woman and in a short time you have become an important part of my life. I mean I don’t know where this is gonna lead to in 5 years or in 5 months, but I know that hope that you’ll be a part of my life for a very long time,” Jon said hoping he answered the question correctly. She was asking him how he felt so there wasn’t a wrong answer, right?

She leaned over and gave him a kiss, “Perfect answer,” she said.

“Do I get a little more than that,” Jon asked.

“Oh, sorry. Of course you do. I was a little worried after the show last night that I cared way more about us than you did, but I think we’re right on track. After you poured your heart out to me on Friday night, and yesterday afternoon was wonderful seeing you in business mode but…”

“Tell me what I did, if you don’t tell me I’ll probably just do it again,” Jon said as a wave of guilt flooded over him.

“It wasn’t your fault, now I know we just should’ve talked about it before the show. But I kinda felt dispensable, like I could be your girlfriend to your friends and colleagues and employees even, but not the public. To them we were just friends,” Melissa said not wanting to meet his eyes.

“Mel what are you talking about sweetheart, you lost me somewhere. I never ever meant to make you feel like that; one thing I’ve learned is that you are in no was expendable. Especially since I’ve seen how well you and Steph get along,” Jon said and reached over to lift her chin so his eyes could meet hers. “I mean that, I really do.”

“Thank you, I believe you. Last night on stage you called me your friend. Now I can see why you did it, I just had to make sure, for my own peace of mind,” she said.

“Just so that we actually are on the same page and your not thinking something different, I honestly didn’t really think about it, but that may not have been the best place to announce that I’m dating someone new,” Jon said.

“I know, and I completely agree and understand, but in the moment I was just a little upset. But now I’m all good. But since we’re on the topic when are you planning on us coming out as a couple,” Melissa asked.

“To who exactly so you mean? The public or my family,” Jon asked.

“Either,” Melissa answered she hadn’t really given much thought to the latter.

“Well I’m pretty sure that there was at least one mole yesterday at the lunch who’s gonna tell someone who will tell someone and on and on that I had a gorgeous blond on my arm that I was calling my girlfriend. Give it time it will come out on it’s own. I’ve never been one to flaunt my private life, but I’d say a night or two out together after the rumors are started and it’ll be pretty official. My family on the other hand, I don’t want you to think I don’t want you to know them or them to know about you, but I think we should wait a little longer until we tell the boys at least the little ones. They’ve had a big adjustment with the divorce and their mom’s significant other just about moving in with them, and they’re still pretty mad that Steph moved out, I’d hate to throw something else new at them. But it has nothing to do with you I promise.”

“I believe you, thanks for being honest with me,” Melissa said.

“Of course, and I’d like you to meet my parents next time they’re in town. They live down in Florida but they pop up here from time to time,” Jon said and Melissa nodded. “Now anything else I did that I need to be set straight about?”

Melissa bit her lip almost not wanting to say anything, but knew it would be better for both of them if she just said it. “Jon I don’t want you to treat me like your ex-wife.”

“What my ex,” Jon asked confused. In his mind every horrible thing he had said or done to his ex flooded past as he looked at Melissa.

“I mean don’t assume I want what she wanted. I want to be part of all aspects of your life. I know that the media thing was never her thing and she hated it but I accept that its something that we’re well I’m gonna have to deal with. I don’t want you to have to separate that part of your life from me. Last night after the show you kinda worked the room and left me to do my own thing, I rather would have spent it with you,” she said.

“Really,” Jon asked in disbelief.

“Absolutely. I knew who I was getting involved with when we started dating, so I’m not about to starting holding facets of your life against you. Just if you don’t know ask, don’t assume that I’m gonna want everything the way she did, because you know what they say when you assume,” Melissa teased.

“Yeah, yeah, I promise I’ll ask you. Now with all that aside, did you have a good time last night,” Jon asked trying to lighten the mood.

“Are you kidding? I think it was once of the best shows I’ve ever been to, and I’m not just saying that,” Melissa said smiling.

“Good, but you see I’m at a bit of a disadvantage here,” Jon said wryly.

“Oh yeah, why’s that,” she asked.

“It seems that you now know my hidden talent, but I have no idea what yours is, so spill,” he said.

“I don’t think anything I saw you do last night was a ‘hidden talent’. A talent maybe but hidden, not so much,” Melissa teased.

“Oh come on tell me what it is,” Jon said trying to coax it out of her.

“No way mister, that’s something I think I’m gonna have to show you,” Melissa said trying to keep a straight face as Jon smiled and wiggled his eyebrows. “Keep your mind out of the gutter rock star. Do we have plans yet for Saturday night?”

“I don’t think so why,” Jon asked with a boyish grin.

“Well, then I’ve got something special in mind for you,” Melissa said smiling at him.

“Oh yeah, what is it,” he asked.

“If I told you then it wouldn’t be a surprise, now would it,” she asked trying to be firm. He gave her his best ‘duck lips’ and pouty eyes and she leaned over to kiss him. The duck lips always got her and he was beginning to catch on to it, much to her dismay. When they pulled apart she looked him right in the eye and with an attempted scowl she muttered, “No more duck lips.”

He laughed and looked at her. It was nice to have that kind of affect on a woman again and he was definitely eating up every minute of it until she too would become immune to it. “I’ll try but no promises,” he said smiling.

Their attention was drawn to a pair of young women in their early twenties almost squealing a few feet from them nearly skipping over. Beneath his sunglasses Jon rolled his eyes and looked right at Melissa, “Are you sure you’re ready for all this,” he teased.

Before she could answer the two girls, dressed a little suggestively in too short skirts, and too tight tees from last nights show were right in front of them nearly jumping up and down.

“Oh my God, I just knew it was you, I had to convince her it was you,” the first girl said.

“It’s true I feel like a horrible fan, I wasn’t sure until I saw the duck lips,” the second girl answered.

“I’m flattered ladies,” Jon said politely but Melissa could tell that he was a little annoyed that they had interrupted their conversation.

Both of the girls giggled and when they made no move Jon realized they were gonna be one of those fans, the ones that thought that just because they found him that that entitled them to the next 5 hours of his life. Melissa set back and watched it unfold, not quite sure what to do or what these women were about to do.

“You were at the show last night, right,” Jon said playing along with their fantasies.

“We were, second row on the floor,” the second girl said still beaming.

“Well I’m glad you enjoyed the show but,” Jon started before he was cut off.

“Could we take a picture please,” the first girl said abruptly, as though she had just remembered how to speak after a temporary bout with amnesia.

“Of course,” Jon said standing thankful he had taken his glasses so they couldn’t see the looks he was giving them.

From across the way Jason, one of Jon’s security guards, was heading over to diffuse the situation. Melissa was surprised that she hadn’t noticed him before since it was the same man who had been with her and Angela the night before. He stood back a few feet to get a good sense of the situation before he made a move. The girls however were in full swing with one on each side of Jon their arms around him laughing and giggling at him. It wasn’t until he reminded that they wanted a picture did them make any effort to move their encounter along. One of the girls nearly threw her camera at Melissa with a quick, “could ya, thanks,” before taking her spot next to Jon. Melissa took the camera and stood in front of them where Jon mouthed, “I’m sorry,” to her. She shook her head and took a few pictures of the girls before they took their camera back and continued talking to him.

Jason grabbed her arm and whispered in her ear, “Miss Blake I think it’s time you should leave. If you just wait right over there,” he said pointing to the walkway back to the street.

“No I’m fine right here, thank you,” Melissa answered politely.

“Miss, I must insist that you wait over there until Mr. Bongiovi is finished,” Jason insisted trying to lead her away from the situation.

“No, I’m not leaving without Jon, let go of me,” Melissa said firmly but quietly taking her arm back from the much larger man.

Jon looked up when he heard Melissa and he gave Jason a nod to leave her alone while the two fans were still busily chit chatting away. Jason immediately apologized, but Melissa shook it off and assured him that she was fine. She stayed back from Jon a little bit, not wanting to involved in the conversation, but wanted to catch a little of what they were saying.

“How long are you in town for? When are you guys gonna start recording again? Is Richie still in town? Is he still single? What kinda cd is the next one gonna be? Are you gonna come to Giant’s on the next tour? Are you gonna do more shows for the Soul this year? Are the rumors true, is Dave’s show going to Broadway? When are you releasing the DVD from this tour? Obie hasn’t been answering questions, I know he was at the show last night but has he been on vacation? I saw Stephanie Rose was at the show last night why weren’t the boys there? What does the High Point flag really mean? Is it true that it’s only out when you’re there?” The two girls seemed to be asking questions one right after another not giving him any time at all to answer, and Jon seemed to be content to nod along to their questions as Melissa had to hold in a giggle.

“Sorry ladies, it’s been a pleasure but I have to be heading back to the hotel now. We’ve got a band meeting, but I’ll make sure Obie gets right on answering those questions for you,” Jon said trying to step away from them and Melissa stepped closer.

“Aww are you sure you have to go already,” the first asked.

“Yeah, I mean it’s not like they can start the meeting without you,” the second pleaded.

“I’m positive, but I’m glad you enjoyed the show and I’ll be sure to tell Richie that you enjoyed his solos last night, and I’ll tell Tico that you bought all of your sister’s baby clothes from him.” Jon said turning from one girl to the other.

“Really,” the one girl asked.

“Absolutely, cross my heart,” Jon said to which both girls responded with a squeal. Jason finally stepped over to the trio and the girls began to look nervous as they were really running out of time.

One of the girls frantically started to scribble on a piece of paper, “Here’s our numbers,” she said handing him a piece of paper. “We go to Drexel University right in town, so we’ll be here next time your down here.”

Jon politely took the paper from her as Melissa walked over next to them. “Thanks ladies, it was nice meeting you. Enjoy the weather while it lasts,” Jon said as took Melissa’s hand and with Jason right behind them made his way back to the hotel.

“I’m sorry about that,” Jon said.

“Don’t worry about it. It comes with the territory remember? It was actually a little entertaining I must admit. I think they knew more about you all then I did,” Melissa said laughing.

“Yeah you get those sometimes, usually they just like to say hi, but then others, well you saw. You were a great sport though,” he said giving her a kiss on the forehead. “Is everything ok with you two,” Jon asked Jason.

“Yes, sir, I was just trying to remove Miss Blake from the situation until you were finished, and she insisted on staying,” Jason answered him.

“It’s ok really,” Melissa said not wanting to get him in trouble.

Jon thought a minute before he spoke, it was his own fault for not knowing how Melissa would want to be treated that his staff were not properly informed. “Jason, forget everything that Dorothea ever asked you to do, and ask Melissa from now on what she wants unless I tell you otherwise.”

“Yes, sir, not a problem,” Jason answered a little relieved.

“Are you sure you’re ok you look a little rattled,” Jon asked her.

“I’m fine, but I am curious as to what you’re gonna do with the lovely Drexel students’ phone numbers,” Melissa teased.

“What we always do of course. It gets offered to the group and then goes to the highest bidder,” Jon said smiling.

Melissa rolled her eyes, “Come on now, what are you gonna do with it?”

“You think I’m kidding? Just wait and see,” Jon said with a laugh. “Anyway what are you up to this week?”

“I’m at the office tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Then it seems I’ve got a hot date for Saturday night, what about you,” she asked.

“Field trip Tuesday, a trip to see my girlfriend on Wednesday, parent teacher conferences on Thursday and Friday. But then I’ve a hot date Saturday night to look forward to,” Jon said smiling as they entered the hotel.

“Who’s field trip,” Melissa asked.

“Jake’s class is going apple picking. Dot was supposed to go but it’s gonna be in the 20’s on Tuesday so she thought it was a good time for me to ‘finally go on a field trip.’ Just what I wanted freezing my ass off with 35 6-year-olds in a wide-open field. Awesome,” Jon said not wanting to think of the disasters that could happen.

“Well I’m sure you’ll be warm in that big coat of yours. I always thought you could fit four of you in there so it must be warm enough,” Melissa teased.

“Now who looks like the stalker,” Jon teased as the entered the room where the band was already waiting for them.

“It’s about damn time love birds,” Richie said with a wink for Melissa.

“Yeah, yeah be nice,” Jon said as the guys made their way over to say hi to Melissa. This sort of camaraderie was new to Melissa but she was learning to embrace these new relationships.

Once they were all seated and had ordered Jon stood quietly at his seat and waited for the guys to turn their attention to him. Quickly checking to make sure that his daughter’s ipod was in place a few seats down from him he smiled and pulled the piece of paper from his pocket and held it up. “Any takers,” he asked.

“Uh-uh we need more than that,” Richie said.

“Drexel students, that’s all you’re getting,” Jon said. “And I think the number’ll be good for a while they said they were juniors and still undecided.”

“Students,” Dave asked his interest stirring.

“Two, I’ll give you that,” Jon said smirking.

“You just want you’re Manning helmet back that I won off of you this summer,” Richie said suspiciously.

“Damn right I want it back, what’s it worth to you,” Jon said.

“Don’t worry darlin’ I got it off of him at poker,” Richie said looking at Melissa. “And I’m not sure what it’s worth.”

“May I say something,” Angela said from across the table.

“Of course,” Tico said.

“It’s just my observation, but Mr. Torres and Mr. McDonald aren’t you married? And Mr. Bryan aren’t you in a very committed relationship of multiple years? And Mr. Sambora I understand you’re single and all but I would hate to think that you would just take that number. And Mr. Bon Jovi need I remind you who is sitting three seats to your left,” Angela said with enough guilt in her voice to leave all four men looking thoroughly embarrassed. “Now I’m not about to tell you what to do of course, just reminding you of the facts.”

Jon sighed and left the number in the middle of the table, who was he to argue with her when she was right? Melissa certainly brought new elements into his life including her friends, which aside from the current situation even though he had brought it on himself, have been nothing but warm and welcoming to him. He sat down and watched his friends around him return to their conversations knowing that not only was this weekend an overwhelming success in his eyes, but it was something that he hoped would happen again and again.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

OMG!!! The auctioning off of the phone number...*shaking head* boys will be boys! Love how Angela put them in their place!!!
Rachel, glad to hear that you and your family are feeling better! Now more please :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, girlfriend! This was just what I needed for a sleepless night!

Linda