Friday, October 24, 2008

Chapter 23

Melissa and Jon walked a few blocks into the center of town. Along the way Melissa pointed out all the little landmarks, that made her hometown unique and Jon couldn’t help but get caught up in the small town charm. They reached Gracie’s and Jon was pleased to see a cute restaurant on one of the main roads with a small amount of patio seating outside with a casual family-style feel inside. It perfectly fit the vibe of both Tommy and Angela and the town. They made their way over to the hostess stand when Melissa began talking with the hostess, who Jon assumed she had spoken with earlier. They were then led to Melissa’s ‘usual booth’ as Jon was told by the hostess, against a far wall. Once they were seated Jon took in the hodgepodge décor that gave a homey atmosphere. There were pictures of local championship athletic teams, pictures of town wide activities, what looked like family pictures, and a few autographed pictures from local celebrities, each collection of pictures giving off a different theme. The background of the walls were murals of different scenes of the town to match the themed pictures.


“This place is wonderful, I can see why you come here,” Jon said looking around the room.


“I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that my best friends own the place, or anything,” Melissa teased. “But even if they didn’t, I think I’d still be in here all the time.


“I’m glad to hear the you still come for the food,” Tommy said stepping up to their table.


“Nice to see you again Tommy,” Jon said extending his hand. “This is a great place here.”


Tommy shook his hand and said, “Thanks we do the best we can. But I heard you had quite an interesting day with my wife.”


“She definitely made it entertaining, she knows how to keep you on your toes,” Jon said laughing.


“And Mel, I didn’t know you were planning on coming in tonight,” Tommy said leaning down to give her a kiss on the cheek.


When he leaned down Jon couldn’t help but feel a little twinge of jealousy. God am I falling hard for her. He’s her brother, damn it.


“Well I didn’t think I was either, but Jon asked me to dinner and I couldn’t think of anyplace else I’d rather take him,” Melissa said.


“Oh, Mel you spoil me. Any requests for tonight or do you just want the usual,” Tommy asked.


“Usual,” Jon asked before agreeing.


“I usually just have whoever’s in the kitchen pick whatever they recommend for the night. If that’s ok with you, I can’t even remember the last time I saw a menu here,” Melissa answered.


“Whatever the chef says is good for me,” Jon said.


“Perfect, I’ll put that in for you, and I’ll send James over for you drinks. Let me know if there’s anything else I can get you,” Tommy said before leaving.


“Chef recommendations, huh? You get the royal treatment around here don’t you,” Jon teased.


“We take care of family. And this way I never have to pick,” Melissa said smiling.


A young waiter walked over to their table, and smiled at Melissa. “How are you Melissa? I haven’t seen you since vacation, but I heard you had a good time,” the waiter said.


“Yes it was a nice break, I had a truly wonderful time. James this is Jon,” Melissa said gesturing to Jon.


“Nice to meet you Jon, I’m James,” he said shaking his hand. “Me and Melissa go back a couple of years since I’ve been working here. I won’t intrude on your dinner, but can I get you guys something to drink?”


“I’ll have a glass of white wine, what ever you have is fine. A Pinot Bianco maybe,” Jon said.


“I’ll have the same, and an ice water please,” Melissa ordered.


“Two waters please,” Jon said.


“I’ll get that for you. Your salads should be up in a minute,” James said before leaving.


“You really know everyone around here don’t you,” Jon asked. “I feel like I’m out with the most popular girl in town.”


“Don’t be silly, of course I know the people here, but I’m not exactly the town socialite,” Melissa said shaking her head at him.


“I’m sure,” Jon said laughing as an older couple across the room waved at her.


“Well I’m bound to know some people, I’ve lived here almost 30 years,” Melissa said. “And for the record those are my neighbors that lived next to me growing up. Not too exciting.”


James returned with their drinks and their salads. Jon and Melissa thanked him before beginning to eat.


“Now tell me if I’m incredibly out of line here but can I ask you something,” Melissa said.


“Is it a question that’s gonna remind me that you’re a fan? Like ‘When’s the new album coming out’ or ‘What’s it like to tour?’” Jon said laughing.


“No nothing like that, but those questions will come in time don’t worry,” she replied as he laughed.


“Ok then shoot,” he said.


“And you’ll tell me if its none of my business,” She asked and he nodded as he took a sip of wine. “What did you tell Steph you were doing tonight?”


Jon almost choked on his wine, as the words came out of her mouth. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked,” she said apologetically and embarrassed.


“No, absolutely not. I just hadn’t thought of what exactly I was gonna tell her. I don’t know when I was gonna, but now we have a chance to talk about it,” Jon said reassuringly.


Melissa raised a suspicious eyebrow at him. “You didn’t tell her what you were doing? You didn’t leave her home alone to have diner with me did you?”


“No, of course not. I thought I told you, she’s at her mom’s tonight. I’m picking her up later,” Jon said.


“That does sound familiar now that you say that,” Melissa said.


“And it was a last minute thing. Dot called me this morning and said that she’d be taking Steph Wednesdays after school and for dinner so she can spend some time with her brothers. I’ll be picking her up around 9 or so, which is how I’m free for you tonight. I don’t think I even told Steph what I was doing today.”


Melissa looked a little disappointed, “You didn’t?”


“Hey, don’t look at me like that. Things have been crazy with getting back to school this week, and trying to get into a routine, it just slipped my mind to tell her what I was doing because I’ve been so interested in what she was doing,” he said trying to reassure her.


Busy my ass, Melissa thought, Maybe Angela was right and I’ve put way more into this that he’s thinking.


“I see way too many wheels turning in your head, for this to end well for me,” Jon said reaching across the table to take her hand. She looked up at him, “I told her that I went to the hospital two weeks ago, but she didn’t seem interested because she had other stuff going on and what her dad was doing just wasn’t interesting. I didn’t even think about taking you out tonight until I was driving Steph to school. I was gonna tell her about us, but I didn’t exactly know what we were so I kinda put it off. But after today I know that you are a special woman, and I want to see a lot more of you. And I know that I need to tell my daughter, because that’s the one thing in our relationship that’s always been consistent: there’s no secrets. And why on earth would I want to hide you?”


“Really,” Melissa asked not entirely convinced.


“Absolutely. I want you to be a part of my life, and Steph is definitely a part of my life, so it only makes sense that she knows about us. I was gonna talk to her about this tomorrow because I was hoping to take you out this weekend, and she would naturally be curious of where I was going, and like I said no secrets. The boys may be another story for a little while, though. Jesse is still mad at me as it is and I don’t wanna confuse the little ones. But I don’t want you to think that I’m hiding our relationship. Speaking of which I’m not usually one for labels, but how about we try to figure something out so I know what to tell Steph,” Jon said hoping to have convinced Melissa.


Melissa’s head was spinning at all that he said. Another date Saturday? He wants to tell his daughter, for real? And what are we? Before she had to respond James returned to clear their salad plates and deliver their entrees. Thankful for the extra minute to think, she took a deep breath before answering.


“You know, I’m not really one for labels either. I never thought of what we are. I know I love spending time with you, and you make me happy. I love talking to you when I can’t see you, and I feel so comfortable with you. Like I’ve known you longer than I really have,” Melissa said trying not to sound too needy. And I think I’m falling in love with you, she thought to herself.


Jon smiled at her, “I don’t think I could have said it any better. I’m glad we’re on the same page, because that’s exactly how I feel. So what does that make us boyfriend-girlfriend? That sounds so high school, doesn’t it,” Jon asked taking a bite of his dinner.


“That does sound very juvenile, doesn’t it? But yes by traditional standards I guess that make me your girlfriend,” Melissa said smiling.


“I think I like the sound of that, my girlfriend. And this food is absolutely amazing. I think this is better than some five star restaurants I’ve been at over the past 25 years,” Jon said taking another bite.


“I told you it was good here, boyfriend,” Melissa said at an almost giggle.


“You really like how that sounds don’t you,” Jon asked and Melissa nodded with a mouth full of food. “Well then tomorrow I’m gonna tell my daughter that I have a girlfriend, that I love spending time with.”


“That sounds perfect. And I can tell Angela that I have a boyfriend that I love spending time with. She’ll be ecstatic. That is if she’s not hiding here somewhere, or listening in a van outside because she bugged the table,” Melissa laughed at the visual, but not underestimating her friend.


“And within minutes there will be a text sent across the country to make Mr. Sambora happy. I think he was beginning to worry I lost my touch and I was gonna end up alone,” Jon said.


“Alone with a hundred million girls volunteering to keep you company,” Melissa teased.


“You’re bad you know that. You’re starting to sound like Richie now. He would always tell me if I didn’t find the right girl, there would always be some girl out there. But now I can tell him I think I’ve found her.”


Melissa smiled at the possibilities and decided it was best to keep talking rather than let her mind wander to long, as she finished her dinner.


“So you said something about this weekend,” Melissa asked curiously.


Jon nodded as he finished chewing. “If you don’t have plans, Angela said that you’ve never seen Jersey Boys and I just happened to know someone who got me tickets. Maybe dinner and a show, how’s that sound?”

“Umm perfect. I’ve wanted to see if for almost three years since it came out, but I never got around to it. You think of everything don’t you,” Melissa asked excitedly.


“I try babe, what can I say? Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t,” Jon said smiling.


James came back to their table to clear the plates and assured them that dessert would be out in a minute. Melissa and Jon said their thanks but quickly turned their attention back to each other.


“So is there anywhere specific in the city that you want to go for dinner,” Jon asked.


“I don’t think so. When the three of us go in we usually don’t eat anywhere special. Whatever you recommend,” Melissa said, thinking of the last time she was in the city and had a hotdog and pretzel from a cart.


“Well, if you don’t mind French food Richie went to Le Cirque last time he was in town, and said it was great. I haven’t been since they reopened a couple years ago,” Jon said.


“Le Cirque? Are you serious? That’s fantastic with me, you shouldn’t even have to ask,” Melissa said not able to wipe the smile off her face.

“Well then its settled,” Jon said pleased with himself.


Tommy walked up to the table with a tray in hand. “I trust everything was good?”


“It was fantastic. I wouldn’t have changed a thing,” Jon said.


“That’s what I like to hear. And this is a piece of cheesecake with some berry compote and fresh berries, and of course coffee” Tommy said putting the plate in between the two of them, a carafe of coffee next to the plate and two mugs one in front of each. “You looked stuffed with all the food that was sent out. Let me know if there’s something else I can get you,” Tommy said. He winked at Melissa before leaving them to enjoy their dessert.


Jon took good forkful of cake and began to chew. “Mmm, this is delicious. It’s gonna be hard to get me to leave all this good food. So tell me something about yourself that I probably don’t want to know. I wanna know about my girlfriend’s past experiences with the band,” Jon said careful to put extra emphasis on the word girlfriend.


Melissa took a big bite of cake giving her a minute to think. “Hmm,” she started as she finished the cake. “That’s a tough one, and a little embarrassing. On the HAND tour Angela and I paid a security guy to get us back stage and it worked. But he only let us into Bobby’s dressing room and then Bobby only came in for a minute and was like ‘who are those girls in my dressing room’ and then he left. It was quite a disappointment,” Melissa said laughing.


“That’s horrible I’m so sorry,” Jon said with a naively shocked look on his face. “But in all fairness you shouldn’t have been allowed back there at all.”


“I know, I know. I don’t think it was one of your security guys, I think it was one of the Continental security. We couldn’t believe it worked,” Melissa said.


“For just money I can’t either. I’ve heard stories that you wouldn’t believe. Just to get backstage to find out that we already left. What were you planning on doing if you had actually met us,” Jon asked letting the curiosity get the better of him.


“Well, I honestly had no idea. I was just hoping not to throw up or pass out,” Melissa felt stupid as soon as the words came out of her mouth. “And sure enough when I did finally meet you neither of those happened, thank goodness. But I’m sure Angela had a plan for a certain someone, she was technically single. Engaged but not married, that would’ve been good enough for her.”


“I’m sure she had a plan all right,” Jon said.


“But hey that went better than the time before that, that we tried getting back stage,” Melissa said with a smile.


“Oh yeah? What happened, did you get yourself arrested or something,” Jon said jokingly.


“Almost,” Melissa answered as his mouth dropped. “Me and my mom and Angela went up to Boston during the Crush tour. We were really close we were behind the stage; it has the best view you know, and we tried paying this guy to let us backstage for after the show. We were working on him in between the opening act and you guys. Turns out he was a cop and could’ve had us arrested for bribing a cop. Our Jersey accents probably didn’t help our case either. And the funny thing was that we didn’t even mind going to jail we were more concerned about missing the show. It took a lot of begging and pleading not to get arrested that night.”


“That is definitely one of those stories I don’t think can be beat,” Jon said sitting back in his seat.


“I’m glad you get so much enjoyment out of my near criminal record,” Melissa teased taking another bite of their shrinking cake.


“Well that just shows that you’re loyal. I’m hopping if you were that loyal to a stranger, my girlfriend is gonna be as loyal as they come,” Jon said taking a small piece of cake as it dwindled to the middle.


“That’s me, Melissa the loyal. I’ve even been told loyal to a fault,” Melissa closed her eyes at the thought. Not now Melissa keep your cool. “I almost went to jail for you didn’t I? I think I’ve proved myself.”


Jon saw a hint of uneasiness in her eyes, and moved on before he lost her to her thoughts. “I don’t think I could eat another bite. The last bit is yours,” Jon said putting his fork down.


“Mmm, perfect,” Melissa said taking the last piece on her fork and ate it, messily. There was more on the fork than she could tell, and she laughed at her own messiness quickly wiping her mouth with a napkin.


“Well I always said I need a woman that’s not afraid to eat a real meal,” Jon said laughing. He watched her wipe her mouth and saw a bit of filling that she missed. “Missed a spot,” he said with their eyes locked and reached across the table and wiped the stray smudge with his finger.


Melissa loved the feel of his gentle touch against her skin, even if it was only for a second. She tried not to let him see her blush, and was thankful when Tommy came back to the table to take the focus off of her for a minute. Jon looked up breaking the silent connection, when Tommy finally spoke.


“Well I see you enjoyed your dinners. Didn’t even leave anything on the plate,” Tommy said taking it from the table. “Can I get you more coffee or anything else?”


“I think we’re good,” Jon said looking at his watch. “Wow it’s 7:30 already, I guess time flies when your with your girlfriend,” Jon said putting emphasis on the last word. Melissa had to control her giggles as Tommy raised his brow at her, and she just smiled. “I should be hitting the road by 8 or so, so just the check would be great,” Jon said reaching for his wallet.


“Absolutely not,” Tommy said. “You money is no good here. If you’re with my Mel Bell here, I can’t charge you. Family eats free.”


“Now I know the secret to a free meal,” Jon said smiling.


“All I ask is that you tip my staff, as you feel they deserve,” Tommy said before leaving them.


“Who needs family when you have friends like these,” Jon said smiling.


“We take care of our own. Its what we do,” Melissa said gratefully.


“I really do need to get on the road soon so I can pick Steph up at a decent hour. If you’re finished, I’d love to walk you home,” Jon said leaving a generous tip on the table.


“I’m ready,” Melissa said.


Before either of them rose, nearly in unison they finished the contents of their mugs, and couldn’t help but laugh as they saw the other doing the same.


“I guess we agree that coffee is one of the most important food groups,” Jon said rising from the table.


“What do you mean one of? I thought it was the most important,” Melissa said grabbing her purse. Before she could stand up Jon walked over to pull her chair out for her.


She thanked him and they left the restaurant hand in hand. They walked quietly through the streets of town, taking in the cool night. The sky above was crisp and clear and they admired the hints of stars that they could see over the lights in the town, the nearby highway and from the city.


As they approached her building Jon’s mind began to race. Should I kiss her? I want to kiss her; she is my girlfriend after all. God that sounds weird, girlfriend. I haven’t had one of those in a long time, but I’m glad she’s mine. So I’m gonna kiss her. Jon was surprised at his own assertiveness, and he felt a twinge of nervousness as they approached the door of the building.


“Well thanks for a wonderful day,” Melissa said digging out her key.


“You’re welcome, the pleasure was all mine,” Jon said smiling.


“Well have a good night,” Melissa said holding the door open behind her.


“Let me walk you upstairs,” Jon said. He put his hand up when she started to protest. “I just want to make sure you get in ok. I’ll only stay a second I’ve gotta get on the road myself.”


She nodded and held the door open for him, and waked up the stairs to her apartment. She stopped outside of her door, not sure what to expect next.


“So, Saturday, I’ll pick you up around 5 o’clock. Does that work for you,” Jon asked, stalling for time.


“Five sounds great, and thanks again for a great day,” Melissa said holding her key in her hand. “Good night boyfriend.


She turned to open her door when she felt his hand on her bare elbow. She turned around to meet his gaze, and locked her eyes with his. “Something else,” she asked not know what she wanted her answer to be.


“I’ll call you tomorrow, promise,” he said.


Melissa felt a hint of disappointment creep up in her, why she didn’t know. You told him to take it slow what do you want him to do, she thought.


If you’re gonna do this just kiss her, already, before you make this even more awkward, Jon thought to himself.


He took his own advice and reached over and gently took her face in his hands. Before either of them could think he reached down and kissed her leaving her feeling like putty under the spell of his touch. For a minute the world stood still for them, as he cradled her face in his hands and she moved her hands through his hair. In that moment the world was perfect.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

*note to self...next time I'm in Ridgewood, check out Gracie's*
What a nice chapter Rachel! The dinner scene was perfect...I felt like I was there with them....
And the sweet good night kiss....*sigh*

Anonymous said...

"In that moment the world was perfect." Ahhhh remember when a kiss could do that? I miss those days.
Great chapter.