Sunday, October 26, 2008

Chapter 24

Jon had been gone less than five minutes before Melissa’s phone rang. She grabbed the house phone from the cradle and plopped on the couch. She looked at the caller id before answering, though she knew what it would read, Karapolis, Thomas.


“I’m starting to think that you’re actually stalking me. Has he even left the parking lot yet,” Melissa asked.


“Well I should hope so you left dinner almost a half hour ago! Why how long did he stay? I want all the details. Every single one and don’t leave out a single breath he took. And OH MY GOD, Tommy said you’re now referring to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend?! Start talking,” Angela said enthusiastically.


“Oh not much to tell, just dinner, and a kiss. Nothing to write home about,” Melissa taunted.


“Melissa Caroline Blake, don’t make me drive over there and get it out of you. You know I will,” Angela threatened.


“Ok, ok calm down! It was perfect,” Melissa started.


Melissa then spent the next 45 minutes recounting every detail of her evening, not leaving out a single word that was said or bite of food that was taken.


“Oh god, I think he’s better than I ever could have imagined,” Angela said when she had heard the whole story. “The only thing that can even come close to competing with that is those gorgeous flowers he gave you. Are you ready for the hidden meaning in them?”


“I’m still not convinced that there’s any meaning in them, but go ahead if you must,” Melissa answered.


“Ok, be ready for your head to explode! Pink roses mean sweet thoughts and emotions, purple means enchantment, and white means purity and innocence. Now you had 36 pink roses which means-“


Melissa couldn’t take anymore, what if he had picked them because they really did just look pretty. “Angela, come on now. What if there were 37 roses and one broke in the car. Seriously.”


“No, trust me it fits, I promise. Now like I was saying 36 roses means head over heels, so he is head of heels with sweet thoughts for you. Then there were 20 purple roses, which means I am sincere towards you. So he is sincerely enchanted by you. And finally there were seven white roses. Seven means infatuation, so he is infatuated with your purity and innocence. Do I need to mention again the Tiffany’s vase? Tell me that’s not the sweetest thing you’ve ever heard in your life,” Angela said proud of her deduction.


All Melissa could do is smile hoping that he had intended every one of those things. “Well if he did mean that, then it is. You should see me right now I can’t wipe this smile off of my face.”


“Oh Mel, I couldn’t be happier for you, even if I was you. I should let you get some beauty sleep; you’ve had a long day. A nearly private serenade, a boyfriend, a strong declaration in flowers, a kiss goodnight. Sweet dreams, sweetie, even thought I don’t know if dreams could be sweeter than your day. I’ll see you in the morning,” Angela said.


“Thanks, Ang. And thanks for stalking me too, I know its just because you love me,” Melissa said.


“Damn right I do. I’ll let you get lost in your thoughts over there missy. Night,” Angela said before hanging up.


Melissa barely noticed because just as Angela had predicted she was lost in her thoughts of a perfect evening. Little did she know that 35 miles south of her Jon was lost in his own thoughts about her. The only thing that temporarily distracted him was Richie’s text message from across the country. You have a girlfriend and i have to hear about it from someone other than you wtf man?? i want all the dets asap but i have a feeling im gonna have to wait… And Richie was right he would have to wait, tonight was reserved for his thoughts, and his thoughts only. Tomorrow was far, far away.


****

Thursday morning Jon called Melissa as he promised and thanked her again for a wonderful evening. He confirmed their time for Saturday, and assured her that he would talk to Steph that afternoon. Her comfort with the situation eased Jon’s mind for the day, after all he wasn’t doing anything wrong.


That afternoon Jon picked Steph up from school at 3 o’clock as he had done every day that week, but today he was nervous. He had taken her home and she was sitting at the counter next to him eating a snack when she finally mustered enough courage to ask the question she had been dreading.


“Daddy, did I do something wrong are you mad at me,” she asked timidly.


“No, of course not sweetheart. Why would you say that,” Jon asked worried.


“Well you’ve been acting funny today, I’m afraid you’re gonna tell me you want me to move back in with mom,” she answered honestly.


“Oh, Steph,” Jon said giving his daughter a hug. “I don’t want you to move out. Not until it’s time for you to move into the convent that is.”


“Oh, Dad,” she said smiling. “I’ve told you a hundred times I’m not joining a convent.”


“Well I guess that means that I’ll just have to try harder to convince you,” Jon said smiling.


Steph rolled her eyes at her dad, “Ok Dad, you can try. But if it’s not me, what’s wrong? You’ve been acting weird all day.”


Shit, am I that transparent, Jon thought. “Well there is something that I need to talk to you about.”


“What is it Dad? Are you ok?”


“Yeah, Steph I’m fine. I thought I was supposed to be the parent here. You don’t have to worry about me.” Jon looked around the kitchen and saw Amalia working on dinner and Cara was lost in paperwork at the table. This was gonna be awkward enough without an audience, even if they were like family. “Amalia, Cara, could you give us a couple of minutes please?”


Jon was greeted with chorus of “Of course Mr. B,” and “Yes, Mr. Jon,” as the women left the kitchen.


“Now Steph there’s something that I have to talk to you about. And I’m telling you because you know that I’ve always been honest with you, and I don’t see any reason that that should change. I think you’re grown up enough for me to talk to you like an adult, and I want you to ask me anything. Ok honey,” Jon said looking into his daughter’s eyes.


“Sure, Dad,” she answered simply.


“Well a couple of weeks ago I met a woman.” As he said the words his daughter pulled back in a wince as if he, not his words, had hit her like a ton of bricks.


“You do want me to move out don’t you,” she asked tears welling up in her eyes.


“Steph listen to me, I just told you that that’s not what I want didn’t I,” Jon asked and she nodded. “Well then there’s no need for you to worry. But like I said I met this woman and she’s amazing. I really like her; we’ve been spending time together. She works at the hospital that I’ve been volunteering at, and we’ve been on a couple of dates. She knows that you and the boys come first in my life and she understands that. We were talking yesterday, because I wanted to set straight what we were, so I could come talk to you. Boy this is awkward, I well have a girlfriend.” There it was, he said it and the world didn’t come to an end around him. “Stephie you’ll always been my number one girl, and I know the timing is horrible but I really like her. And I think you will too. I want to get this out in the open and I want to hear what you’re thinking because the last thing I want is for you to feel uncomfortable if I can help it, like how things went at your mom’s.”


“Well I think it’s nice that you’re spending time with someone. But I don’t want to lose you to some woman, I still need you,” Steph said with a bit of hesitation and bitterness in her voice.


“Steph, we’re taking this slow. Partly because I don’t want to rush into anything that’s gonna end badly and end up hurting you or the boys,” Jon said. “Do you have any questions?”


“What’s she like? I mean what does she do, what’s her name? She’s not just dating you because of who you are is she,” Steph asked with clear tones of protectiveness in her voice.


“Her name is Melissa, and she works with sick kids at a hospital about an hour and a half from here. I’d love for you to come with me sometime, not just to meet her but working with the kids is an amazing experience. And she is a fan, but she’s in this for more than just that. She’s amazing; I think you’d like her. She’s funny and smart and caring,” Jon stopped himself before he started to ramble.


“She’s not moving in here or anything is she, like is that why you told me,” Steph asked defensively.


Jon laughed, he knew that that was a crazy but given what she had been through with her mother how could she not think that. “Of course that’s not why I’m telling you. Melissa and me are a ways off from living together. And before anyone moved in I would talk to you about it first.”


“Ok Dad. As long as you’re happy. I just don’t want to see you hurt again. Not after what Mom did to you-“


“Stephanie,” Jon warned.


“I’m just saying, I don’t want to see you hurt again. I’ve got some homework I should get a start on,” she said getting up.


“You’re sure you’re ok with this Steph,” Jon asked taking her hand.


“Yup, if she makes you happy, then I’m happy,” she answered.


He pulled her into a quick hug. When did she become the parent here, Jon thought. “I love you Steph,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the forehead.


“I love you to Dad,” Steph said before leaving.


That could’ve gone a lot worse. Actually I think she’s ok with this, Jon thought walking to the cabinet pouring himself a glass of much needed wine. In his pocket his phone started to ring, and he took it out.


He smiled as he read it, “You know you have perfect timing?”


“What can I say? I know my brother and I know when he needs to talk. Now spill,” Richie said on the other end of the phone.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Glad to see that Stephanie is taking this well. Love the friends interaction. Angela and Richie really make this story more "colorfull" and fun!
Next chapter!!!!!!

alicefayenjbj said...

okaaaay I guess I see this a little different from Baya. I don't think she is taking it as well as you think...she is still holding a lot in and when they meet face to face then you might see more of it. I know I know JMHO.

I do agree with baya about Richie and Angela...the story is like they are the comedy and The other characthers while main to the story...are more drama. Do you see where I am going?