Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chapter 25

Saturday came quickly and before Melissa knew it she was sitting in their front row seats of Jersey Boys. Dinner, like everything else since she met Jon, had gone perfectly. They enjoyed an exquisite meal, and casual conversation. Already, each couldn’t believe how much they really knew about the other.


They were sitting in silence, not necessarily needing words to enjoy each other’s company. Jon looked over at Melissa and saw her deep in thought. He squeezed her hand and finally broke the silence. “Tell me what you’re thinking right now.”


“Hmm,” Melissa asked not hearing a word he said and putting her focus back on him.


“You’re awfully deep in thought over there darlin’. Tell me what you’re thinking,” Jon said again.


“Well, I was thinking about you and me, and us,” she started.


“Oh, yeah? What about us,” he asked.


“I was thinking that were in a really good place, and how after only a few weeks I can’t believe how good we are together. And I was thinking about how Steph knows about us, and you said she’s ok with that.” Though I still have my doubts about that, Melissa thought to herself.


“It’s like you took all those thoughts right outta my head,” Jon said and leaned over to lightly kiss her temple.


“And,” she continued.


“There’s more,” Jon asked.


“Oh yes, I’m a very pensive woman. I was thinking about the first time I heard about Jersey Boys. I heard that it was about a famous Jersey band and the story of the founding member and his band, and whatever. I was so so excited I called Angela freaking out and I was like ‘Ang we have to go.’ And she was like whatever, totally not caring. I told her opening night was a must, because they may even be there. And she must’ve thought I was nuts because she was like ‘Honestly Mel, why do you even care?’ And I was so mad and I started to yell at her, ‘Why wouldn’t I want to see a Bon Jovi musical?’ And then all she could do was laugh,” Melissa said smiling.


Jon couldn’t help but laugh a little. “That is one of the cutest stories I’ve ever heard. But why us and not like Bruce or the Rat Pack or even the actual subjects.”


“Are you seriously asking why I thought of you guys first. Just because you’ve never been the favorite Jersey child of the critics, doesn’t mean that someone couldn’t have had an ingenious idea and put you guys on Broadway,” Melissa said confidently as the house lights lowered.


Jon leaned over and whispered in her ear, “You’re fantastic.” He let go of her hand and gave her a quick kiss. He slipped his arm around her and pulled her close. “Not to mention good for my ego,” he added as the stage lights came up and the cast entered the stage.


***

Over the next two weeks Melissa felt herself letting down her guard and she could feel herself honestly letting Jon into her life and into her heart, both of which she kept protected at all costs. The level of comfort and security that she felt with him was growing everyday, and she never thought she would allow herself to feel this way with a man again.


A lot of the credit she had to give to Jon. As he had promised on their first date, he was taking things slowly at her request. Never once did he force a kiss on her, or overstay his welcome at her apartment by even a second. He quickly learned what made her uncomfortable, and what her boundaries were. Little did Melissa know that Jon was taking things slow for himself as well, the last thing he needed to do was get involved in a relationship out of spite for his ex. He needed to know that this was something special and true, and each day he was being proven right.


In these last two magical weeks, they had developed a comfortable routine. Wednesdays he spent with her at the hospital, followed by dinner at Gracie’s, and Saturday night was date night. They talked to each other almost everyday; Melissa had even spoken to his daughter once, if that’s what you could call it. She had called him one afternoon and Steph answered his phone, and upon introducing herself to the woman’s voice on the other end of the phone she got a quick, “Hold on let me get my dad.” It wasn’t a rude response, just short one. So what if it wasn’t anything special, Melissa had told herself, at least it’s something. It’s her dad that I’m with, whatever’s gonna happen with his daughter and me will come when the time is right.


The week after seeing Jersey Boys, Jon had brought his guitar to the hospital with him again. Before he and Melissa left, he played a few songs for the kids, and at Melissa’s request he sang “Who Says You Can’t Go Home.” Just as Melissa had thought the song had a magical effect on the kids. By the middle of the song they were all singing along and raising their arms anxiously awaiting the next “It’s alright”.


That weekend he called Dave and asked for his Toxic Avenger tickets. And just as Dave had warned, Jon was quickly spotted after the show by some fans. Jon graciously took all the pictures and signed all the programs that he was asked though he did catch his gaze did traveling to Melissa more than once. He made no effort to hide her or separate himself from her; she bowed out of the spotlight on her own. She didn’t feel it was her place to hover over him, and this wasn’t the place to become territorial. She knew she wouldn’t like it if she were in their shoes. Besides she loved seeing him in Jon Bon Jovi mode.


The next week at the hospital right before Jon sang for the group that had gathered for her, he slipped her a note.


Melissa,

Just like you said at Jersey Boys, this is a great place we’re in. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. You gotta believe that you’re exactly where you’re supposed to be…

Jon


As she read it she heard the opening notes of “Welcome to Wherever You Are,” from his guitar. He didn’t miss a thing, it seemed that for each romantic gesture he had he was already planning his next, and Melissa was in no position to argue. That Saturday, Jon decided it was time to celebrate their one-month anniversary from their first date, even though it was technically Wednesday. He admitted he forgot, but promised to make it up to her, and he certainly did. He arrived at her apartment with a survival bag that Amalia had packed for him. A lasagna, bread, salads, fresh cannolis and of course a bottle of wine. He quickly admitted to not cooking it himself, and she assured him that it was the thought that counted especially since the food was delicious. After dinner he gave in and sat down to watch Titanic. It was one of her favorite movies, how could he not indulge her? It would just have to be their little secret, for now at least.


***

The next Wednesday came and Melissa couldn’t help but look at the time all morning. The minutes ticked away slowly and she was glad to be doing therapy work with the patients today, if she were stuck in her office she would go crazy. At 12:15 she excused herself and happily made her way to the 4th floor lounge and grabbed her usual two cups of coffee. She eagerly made her way down to the lobby and began talking with the receptionist as she had done the previous three weeks.


At exactly 12:30 the main doors opened and Jon entered holding his guitar case yet again. It was a familiar sight that Melissa had no problem getting accustomed too. She gave him a hug, albeit an awkward one with a cup of coffee and a guitar case, and he returned her gesture with a kiss. It wasn’t until she pulled away from him and looked over her shoulder that she noticed Richie standing behind him guitar in hand. Melissa’s eyes widened at the thought of the two of them playing together and stood staring at him, nearly dropping the coffee she was holding.


“Melissa, you remember Richie, don’t you,” Jon said as his friend took a few steps to stand next to him.


Melissa smiled from ear to ear, “I most certainly do,” she answered.


Richie smiled at her excitement and said, “Come her darlin’. I don’t bite,” and pulled her into a quick hug. “Nice to see you as always,” he said adding a quick kiss to her cheek.


If two months ago you told me this would be happening I would’ve told you, that you were nuts, Melissa thought and at a temporary loss for words nodded at him. Upon gaining some of her composure she asked, “Wait, what are you doing here?”


“Am I not welcome? Johnny’s been talkin’ about this place like it’s friggin’ Disneyland or something so I had to come and check it out for myself. And I just happen to be in town for a week or so,” Richie answered.


“Of course you’re welcome here, Jon just didn’t mention you were in town,” Melissa said leading them towards the elevators.


“Johnny, that hurts man,” Richie said holding his chest.


“Shut up, don’t flatter yourself. You’re not what I’m thinking about when I’m talking to my girlfriend. I wouldn’t think you would be thinking of me if the situations were reversed,” Jon countered.


“I wish! Every girl I’m with can’t help but talk about Jon. It’s Jon this and Jon that. I think I’ve even been called Jon at the most inopportune times, if you know what I mean,” Richie said teasing.


“Rich, watch it,” Jon said protectively.


“Oh no, not on my account. This stuff is priceless,” Melissa said taking Jon’s hand. “Boys will be boys.”


“See Johnny, don’t be such a prude. Us boys are bound to get into trouble,”
Richie said as Jon rolled his eyes. He then turned to Melissa, “I thought my dear Angela was the nurse, not you Mel.”


“Nicknames for my girlfriend,” Jon asked.


“Don’t worry, when we’re together all I do is talk about you,” Melissa teased.


“Damn Johnny she’s a keeper, she can hang with the boys,” Richie said.


Melissa continued unphased by Richie’s comment. “And Ang is the nurse, you don’t want to know what’s all over the shirt that I came in with. Scrubs are the better choice after you’ve had a run in with a five year old, who’s having bad side effects from a new medication. Does Angela know you’re in town?”


“I think I just happened to forget to mention that. We have been talking, we’ve gotta compare notes on you two. I think it just seemed to slip my mind. I think I’ll like the element of surprise anyway,” Richie said smiling.


The elevator doors opened and Richie stepped inside. Jon leaned over and whispered to Melissa, “He’s harmless I swear. Pay no attention to anything offensive he says, he doesn’t mean it.”


“Come on you two love birds I a’int got all day,” Richie said pointing to his bare wrist. Melissa squeezed Jon’s hand to reassure him and entered the elevator. “It’s about damn time,” Richie continued, “I thought I was gonna have to start to sing.”


Melissa pressed the button for her floor. “Oh yeah, what were you gonna sing Mr. Sambora,” she asked.


“I beg you to take that back,” Jon said. He knew the answer; he had heard it for an hour in the car on the ride up.


“I’m so glad you asked,” Richie said smiling he cleared his throat, and sang loudly. “Johnny and Melissa, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Johnny with a baby carriage.”


As Richie belted out the last words the doors opened, and Jon shook his head. “I warned you,” he teased.


Melissa smiled, This is gonna be one hell of a day.

1 comment:

Bayaderra said...

"The level of comfort and security that she felt with him was growing everyday, and she never thought she would allow herself to feel this way with a man again."

What happened to you in the past Melissa? What baggage are you carrying?
Loved Richie's "performance" in the elevator! How old is he again? LMAO! Hmmm, can't wait to "see" Angela's reaction!