Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chapter 27

After talking extensively with Angela, Melissa felt better about the shock announcement that she would be meeting Jon’s daughter and spending a significant amount of time with her. Richie also helped ease her mind, through Angela. He tried to assure her that Steph was a good kid, not that she ever doubted that, and she just wants to see her dad happy, again not that she doubted that. It was just the thought of the unknown, and needing her approval. The approval of a teenage girl, is there another group of people that are more moody and unpredictable then the teenage girl?


Richie had also tried to talk to Jon to see what, if anything, was going through his mind when he invited both his girlfriend and his daughter on a trip together where they would be sharing close quarters. Jon played it off as nothing; Melissa said she was fine with it after all. When Richie asked him what Steph said when he told her, Richie could’ve smacked him when Jon told him that he forgot to mention it. Even for a guy Jon could be clueless.


Friday morning over breakfast, Jon decide was just as good a time as ever, to tell his daughter. “Stephie, I need to talk to you about something, about this weekend.”


“I can still go can’t I,” she asked worried.


“Yes, of course you can. I wouldn’t want you anywhere else. But Melissa and her friend are going down for the show. They’re gonna meet us down there and they we’ll probably do something on Saturday before the show. Is that ok, kiddo,” Jon asked.


Steph’s face fell as the words were coming out of his mouth, but she tried to regain her composure before answering. “If that’s what you want dad. I was kinda looking forward to spending some time with you on the road but that’s fine too I guess. I should go get ready for school.”


She left the room almost immediately and didn’t return for a couple of minutes, and Richie answered the room. “How’d it go man,” Richie asked.


“Everything’s ok. She said she was a little bummed because she thought it was just gonna be the two of us, but we’ve got a lot of alone time now. I told you everything was gonna be fine,” Jon said. “She left here a while ago, I better go get her or she’ll be late for school. I’ll see you when I get back. We’ll be leaving by four when Steph gets home from school,” Jon said grabbing his travel mug and heading for the stairs.


***

That afternoon, Angela and Melissa put their overnight bags into Angela’s truck. They giddily piled into the front seat and set out for Philly as they had done so many times before. This time had a different feel because Melissa was going to see her boyfriend, and this time they were actually getting to meet the band. Other than Richie and of course Jon, they hadn’t met the other members. Before they knew it the were flying down the parkway, already halfway through the New Jersey disc.


Around the same time Jon piled his bag and Steph’s three bags into the trunk of his car. “Steph you know were only going for two nights right,” he asked her curious of what could possibly be in all these bags.


“I know Dad, it’s only three bags, isn’t it,” she answered, unable to see his confusion.


“It’s a good thing I’m not driving all the way down, I don’t know if there’s enough room here for Richie’s bag,” Jon said looking at his packed trunk.


“What are you talking about Dad,” Steph asked getting into the passenger seat.


“I thought I told you, Gabby wanted to go down and see the show, especially when she heard you were going. We’re gonna head down in Dave’s truck. We’ll go pick them up and Cara’s gonna drive Tico’s car down in case he needs it. She left a couple hours ago and has us all checked in.”


“Why isn’t Uncle Tico driving it himself,” Steph asked confused.


“Everyone but, you, me, Dave, Gabby and Richie are flying right into Philly,” Jon said beeping the horn to try to get Richie out of the house quicker. A few minutes later he came out with a bag over his shoulder. Jon rolled down his window as he passed. “You’re gonna have to sit with your bag ‘til we get to Dave’s. Trunk’s filled.”


“How the hell is it filled,” Richie asked.


“I’ll give you a couple of years until you have a teenage girl and then you’ll understand their definition of necessity. Come on get in I wanna get over to Dave’s so we can really get on the road,” Jon said as Richie climbed into the back seat.


“So just how many bags did you bring, Steph, that I can’t even fit one bag in the trunk,” Richie asked.


“Three. One for my clothes, one for my concert clothes and my jackets and shoes and one for all my toiletries. Then my backpack’s back there too with my laptop. I have a paper that’s due Monday that I should try to get done before I get back. Why, are you just like my dad and you only have one bag,” Steph asked.


“Yeah just one bag, and it’s only half full,” Richie said still in amazement.


“Just wait till Ava’s a little older, it’ll be half a dozen bags for a sleepover, and that’s not including all the clothes that they think is necessary to keep at their friends house in the first place,” Jon said.


“Oh, Dad, you just don’t get it,” Steph said rolling her eyes, as she dug in her purse for her ipod.


After a short drive into the next town they arrived at Dave’s house. They all got out of the car and started loading their bags into Dave’s truck while Jon went and rang the doorbell. After a quick hello, Dave grabbed his stuff and met Richie and Steph at his truck.


“Steph, darlin’, you are more beautiful each time I see you. Look how grown up you are. How have you been,” Dave asked giving her a hug and a kiss.


“I’m ok. Where’s Gabby, Uncle Dave,” she asked looking over his shoulder.


“Oh, I’m sorry sweetie. She really wanted to come, especially since you haven’t seen each other in a while but Colton’s been sick all week and it finally caught her. She was up all night throwing up, but she says hi though,” Dave said offering her a smile.


“Oh,” she said disappointedly. “I’m gonna get in the car Dad. You’ve got all my stuff right?”


“Yeah Steph, its all here,” Jon said looking at their pile of bags and Dave’s empty trunk.


The guys took the ‘throw it all in, and see if it fits’ approach and to their surprise it all fit. As Jon shut the trunk, he saw Richie and Dave get in the front seat of the car. Jon walked up to the passenger window.


“Who says you get shotgun,” Jon asked Richie.


“Do you want it,” Richie asked, and Jon nodded. “That’s fine but I was gonna prep Dave on our lady friends that will be joining us. But if you want me to shout that from the back seat, that’s fine too,” Richie said reaching for the door handle.


“Whatever, you can stay. Just keep your voice down a little, Steph probably doesn’t need to hear half of what’s gonna come out of your mouth,” Jon said getting into the back next to his daughter. He looked at her, and saw her already lost in her music and a book she was reading, not even looking up when he took the seat next to her.


“So I wanna hear everything,” Dave said pulling out of the driveway. “I don’t know why but I feel I’ve been left outta the loop here.”


“Well, Melissa is special,” Richie started.


“Oh, I see Jon. It’s ok we’re family you could’ve told me,” Dave teased.


Jon leaned into the front seat and smacked Dave in the back of the head. “Don’t be an ass.”


“No I mean it, she is an amazing woman. And she’s good for our Johnny here,” Richie said. “She makes him happy. I mean stupid happy. She’s fantastic; she can put up with us boys, but be all girly. He’s a lucky man. But her friend, she’s the feisty one. She keeps me on my toes.”


“You didn’t tell me that you were dating her,” Dave said.


“He’s not, they just don’t know it,” Jon said.


“We’re not dating, we’re just friends. If she wasn’t married, we’d be dating,” Richie said smiling. “Speak of the devil, it’s Angela now.” He paused as he read his phone, and laughed. “Jon, Melissa hasn’t been to your house since you’ve been dating has she?”


“No, why,” Jon asked suspiciously.


“Angela just sent me a text to say that they’re passing your exit off the Parkway. I know Angela’s been here a couple of times, I’m not sure about Mel though,” Richie said.


Jon shook his head. Sometimes it was hard to see Melissa as a fan, and not just his Melissa. “Somehow I can see Angela camped outside on my front lawn for days trying to sneak in.”


“See that’s my girl,” Richie said proudly. “Melissa’s like the all-American-girl. She’s blonde, got this killer body, and she’s just a sweetheart. And Ang is like the totally opposite. She’s Greek, so she’s darker with these gorgeous features, and she’s tiny and I’m sure she’s gotten herself into some trouble and pulled Mel down with her.”


“So I want to know all about Melissa, well both of them I guess. I haven’t seen you this happy in a couple years Jon, even before the divorce. I need to know who’s tamed the grouchy beast,” Dave said.


“Don’t let him tell the story, my version of events is much better. And my version comes with visuals,” Richie said.


“Whatever, I’ll be here if you need me to fill in any details of my personal life,” Jon said getting to work on his blackberry.


Ecstatic with his freedom, Richie took out his phone and started showing Dave pictures that Angela had sent him. “Damn Jon, she is gor-geous,” Dave said.


“Just try to keep your eyes on the road there,” Jon said not looking up.


“Yeah, yeah. Now tell me everything he wouldn’t tell me,” Dave said to Richie.


He put the phone away, and started to dish on their short but deep romantic history. He wouldn’t betray Jon’s trust and left out certain details from their beach trip, and Jon took note to thank him later. Richie didn’t leave out a single detail that he knew and before they knew it they had entered Philly.


Jon called Cara to make sure that everything was on schedule at the hotel. She assured him that she had checked into all the rooms and she would meet them down in the lobby with their keys, and an itinerary for the weekend. In the front seat he heard Richie talking to someone, who he assumed Angela, on the phone. From the half of the conversation that Jon could hear, a serious bet was put in place of who would arrive first at the hotel.


“They’re a good 15 minutes behind us and they have no idea we’re almost here,” Richie said pleased with himself.


“Do we want to know the terms of the bet,” Jon asked.


“Probably not,” Richie said mischievously. “Not with you’re daughter in the car anyway.”


“I thought you said she was married,” Dave said. “Or did I get my whole history lesson mix up.”


“Oh no, she’s very married. Her husband even had dinner with us this week. You just haven’t seen the two of them in action together. I think Richie has finally met his female counterpart,” Jon said.


“Damn why are the good ones always taken,” Dave said. “Not that I’m not completely happy with my girlfriend.”


“Don’t worry about that little slip, I wont tell a soul,” Richie said as Dave pulled in front of the hotel.


Jon nudged Steph who was still lost in her book. “We’re here Steph. Ready to go?”


“Yeah, sure,” she said packing her things into her purse. Her car door opened and a bellman offered his hand as she got out of the car.


Jon’s door opened and he made his way to the back of the truck, to direct the bellman of which bags were to stay together and which ones were in separate rooms. It was more than a day before the show and he was already in full “control mode”.


They made their way into the lobby and Cara met them at the door. She pointed the bellman over to a desk in the corner, where she had set up all of their information, and Dave and Richie were sitting.


“Cara wonderful to see you as always. Especially when you’ve got a schedule for me,” Jon said giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.


“I do what I can to keep you happy Mr. B. I think I’ve got everything you needed; I just want to run through everything with you while I’ve got four of you here at once. You’re ride down was ok,” Cara asked.


“Yup everything was fine, thanks. Did you see which way Steph went when she came in,” Jon asked looking around for his daughter.


“She’s right over there next to Richie,” Cara said pointing.


Jon followed where she directed and sure enough there was his daughter. She’s growing up right before my eyes. I didn’t even give her a second look. She’s looking more like a woman and less like my little girl everyday. I’m not gonna miss anymore time with her.


“Are you ok, Mr. B,” Cara asked.


“Everything is perfect,” Jon said and followed her over to her makeshift office. He took a seat next to his daughter and took the folder that was handed to him.


“Now I know that I’m not the one who does this when you guys are on tour so tell me if there’s anything that’s missing. First I have these for you,” Cara started and handed them each a bottle, sparkling water for Dave, and diet soda for Richie, water for Jon, and Steph’s favorite vitamin water. “Now in your folders are your schedules for tonight and tomorrow, everyone’s room numbers that are in your party, the names that everyone’s rooms are under, a map of the hotel, phone numbers that you may need while you’re in town including my cell if you don’t already have it. There are also your room keys, oh your bags,” and she quickly directed the bellmen to the appropriate rooms.


“Now Hugh is already checked in, Lorenza is scheduled to land in about an hour, and Tico just texted me that he landed. He’ll be about a half hour with this traffic. I checked in at the arena on my way down here and the stage is all set up, I spoke with some heads over there and they said everything is ready for tomorrow. Their numbers are in your packet, because I’m sure you’ll want to talk to them yourselves. All of your instruments arrived either yesterday and I dropped off the last of the guitars while I was there. I also personally met with the even coordinator for your dinner tonight and everything is on track for around 8, which gives us about an hour and a half. I also checked out each of your rooms and I checked them with the lists that you gave me, and everything is ready for you. My only question is for Richie and Mr. B. I haven’t personally made contact with your guests for the weekend, so I don’t know exactly when they will be arriving. I do have their contact information if you’d like me to call them.”


“That’s ok Cara, they should be here any minute,” Jon said.


“Ok, if that’s it you guys are good to go. The band has the whole 8th floor, each of you has your own suite, all of the band members do. Jon you have the Presidential Suite, so if you wanted to do an impromptu group breakfast, your room would probably be best. It has a table that seats 10 I believe. You have a connecting room for Stephanie, so you’ll be together but you’ll have your own spaces. Your guests I assume know each other, as they are sharing a suite. If you’re ready I can go up with you and show you to your rooms. Unless would you two prefer I can come back in a few minutes and wait for your guests, or take you all up at once,” Cara said to Jon and Richie.


“That would be great me and Richie can wait here,” Jon said. “Steph are you ok to go up?”


“Yeah Dad, I’m not a kid. I’ll pick out my room and I’ll start to unpack,” Steph said standing.


“I know you’re not, but I’m your Dad, it’s my job to worry. Stay in the room till I get up there,” Jon said.


“Sure Dad,” she said and followed Dave and Cara to the elevator.


Jon and Richie stood and turned towards the doors waiting for Melissa and Angela. The women pulled up outside and thanked the bellman for taking their bags and their car.


“Damn they beat us,” Angela said pointing to Dave’s truck. “I think they did at least, Richie didn’t mention that Dave was with them.”


“You know you scare me sometimes,” Melissa said laughing.


“It’s not my fault that he was photographed driving it,” Angela said as Melissa rolled her eyes. “Now Sweetie, I don’t want you to worry your pretty little head any longer about this whole Steph thing. It’s gonna be fine. I don’t think Jon would have you two meet if he wasn’t sure himself.”


“If you say so,” Melissa said opening the hotel door. “Let’s go find our men.”


“Yes ma’am,” Angela said. They turned the corner and saw them waiting in the lobby. “I think we found them.”


Jon smiled when he saw her; in a strange way it was calming to be excited to see someone again like he did when he saw her. He walked towards her and met her halfway. He shook his head at her, “Nice shirts,” he said when he could read that they both had Soul championship shirts on.


“We had to show our support. We’re not just here for that band that’s playing. I don’t even know if they’re any good,” Angela teased.


“What she said,” Melissa said and leaned up to give him a kiss, which he willingly welcomed and readily returned. When they finally pulled away she let her gaze travel over Jon’s shoulder and saw his eyes glaring back at her in the form of a teenage girl. Shit, she thought, so much for first impressions. The elevator doors opened, and Steph was out of sight.


“Are you ok,” Jon asked when he saw her look upset.


“I’m fine, I just can’t believe I’m finally here. I can’t wait for tomorrow, I think I’m gonna see the show in a whole new light,” Melissa said covering.


“Well I’m glad you’re here too,” Jon said kissing the top of her head. “Come on we might as well join them,” he said gesturing to Richie and Angela who were sitting on a nearby couch. “Cara just walked Steph and Dave upstairs, she should be back down in a few minutes with all your info. She really went above and beyond with the amount of stuff she gave us. I think she left the extras over here.”


Melissa followed him and took the folder when he offered it. She sat down next to Angela on the couch and listen as she squealed about all the “confidential information” that she had. She read along with Angela their schedule and room assignments, as part of her was loving every minute of the special inside look she was getting into the band. The other part of her couldn’t get the look of a hurt and angry teenage girl. What’s done is done, there’s no going back. Just enjoy yourself; she thought shaking herself back to the present as Jon put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Oh No!!!! Not a good first impression!
Lets hope Stephanie comes around and mellows out. BTW...what kind of truck does David drive? And where can I see that picture? :)

Scarlett said...

I actually have no idea lol. Just made that one up. He seemed like a truck guy to me :-)