Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chapter 29

The groups of friends, both new and old, enjoyed a family style buffet. Though the group consisted of almost 15 people there was a true sense of family and they had sincerely accepted Melissa into their group, no questions asked. All that mattered to them was that she made Jon happy. It had been so long since Melissa had been around a group of people, besides Tommy and Angela, that were so open and non-judgmental, and she was soaking in every minute with her new friends. They sat around the table laughing, talking and eating for nearly two hours, and yet they made her feel that they knew each other much longer. She had spoken at length with Tico who was seated next to her, on her other side Jon’s attention was captured by his daughter, and across the table Angela was the life of the party between Richie and Hugh. Ordinarily she probably would’ve tried to take control of the situation and Jon’s attention but she kept her promise to herself and let the evening transpire on its own. As it did it turned out that she didn’t mind, she enjoyed finding out more about Tico, fully immersing herself into the lives of this sacred inner circle.


After all of the food, and more than a dozen bottles of wine were finished, people started to scatter themselves throughout the room. Melissa was content to continue talking to Tico, until he excused himself to call home. Melissa looked around the room soaking in the whole experience, not taking anything for granted. She saw Angela in an animated conversation with a majority of the band, looking like she was thoroughly enjoying herself. Across the table Hugh and Lorenza were still deep in conversation, but she had yet to find who she was looking for. In a quiet corner of the room she finally found Jon, deep in conversation with Obie and Cara. They were no doubt talking business, and she wasn’t about to interrupt them. Her eyes strayed over to the piano where she heard music, and expected to see Dave. Instead she was surprised to see Steph. Gathering all of her courage she stood and made her way to the piano.


“Your dad told me that you played, you’re really good. Is that something that I know,” Melissa asked approaching the piano.


“Probably not, its some of Uncle Dave’s stuff that he didn’t release,” Steph said continuing to play and not looking up.


“It really is beautiful. Dave taught you then? Could you ask for a better teacher,” Melissa asked trying to engage her in conversation.


Steph stopped playing and looked up at Melissa. “This may sound horrible but my dad always taught me that it’s better to be honest. I came down here this weekend with every intention of hating you, because you were no good for my dad. But he told me to give you a chance so I am, and I’m kinda finding it hard not to like you, because you make my dad happy. That’s all that matters, my dad’s happiness. Don’t hurt him, he’s been hurt too many times.”


“I have no intentions of hurting your dad. He’s a wonderful man who has been generous and gracious to me. I’m not gonna say that I’m perfect, or perfect for him. I know he was with your mom for a long time, so we’re taking this slow, for both of us,” Melissa said.


Steph’s eyes were fuming when Melissa mentioned her mother. “Don’t talk about her, she’s not good for me or my dad. We’re better off without her. He could be with anyone and it would be an upgrade.” Steph’s eyes had a horrified look, “But please don’t tell him I said that.”


“You’re secret’s safe with me,” Melissa said reassuringly. Jon hadn’t mentioned his ex wife, except in passing and Melissa couldn’t help but let her curiosity get the best of her.


“I don’t need you to cover for me,” Steph said quickly. “We were doing just fine by ourselves. Look I don’t hate you, and you seem nice enough, but I’ve had a long day. I think I’m gonna call it a night. I’m sure I’ll see you tomorrow,” she said standing and leaving.


Melissa stood at the piano a little confused. Everything seemed to be going fine, good even. What did I say that scared her off? This is gonna be a challenge I can feel it. It’s good to know she doesn’t hate me at least.


Jon was in fact talking about the show tomorrow, making sure that everything was running according to schedule. He was just about wrapping things up when he felt a hand on his arm and he turned and saw his daughter. “What’s up Steph?”


“I don’t wanna bother you but I just wanted to let you know that I’m done for the night,” she said.


“I’ll talk to you two tomorrow. Let me know if anything changes,” Jon said to Obie and Cara, and they promptly left them alone. “You’ve had enough of this crazy family huh,” Jon asked turning to his daughter.


“Yeah, I was up early today, and I’ve got a headache. I think I’m gonna go up to bed. I bet some sleep will help,” she said.


“Ok let me just say goodnight, and then I’m all yours,” Jon said.


“No, Dad, stay down here. I’m just gonna be sleeping,” Steph started.


“Are you sure, I’ve got some stuff to work on upstairs,” Jon offered.


“No it’s fine. No sense in you coming up to watch me sleep. I’ll be fine,” she said.


“Look at least let me walk you upstairs,” Jon started and put his hand up when she started to protest. “I know you don’t need me to walk you up the stairs, but I want to. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to you.”


“Dad, why do you have to be so dramatic,” she asked rolling her eyes.


“Because I love you,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the forehead. “Now let me just tell Melissa quick, she may be the only one who would notice I was gone,” he said looking around at everyone engaged in laughter and conversation.


“Ok,” she answered and followed him back over to the piano, where Tico now joined her.


“Hey, Mel. Steph’s not feeling well so she’s gonna call it a night,” Jon said.


“Oh, hold on a second,” Melissa said digging through her purse, until she found a small pink pillbox. “Whatever you need is in here I’m sure. Motrin, Midol, Tylenol, Advil, Benadryl, you name it. Help yourself.”


“That’s ok, I’m sure I have something upstairs,” Steph said quickly.


“Don’t be silly honey, it can’t hurt,” Jon said, and she took the box from Melissa.


“Thanks, I’ll give it back to you tomorrow,” Steph said stowing it in her purse.


“I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Melissa asked Jon.


“No I’ll be back down in a little bit. I’m just gonna walk her up; she assures me that she’ll be fine,” Jon said.


“Ok, I’ll see you then,” Melissa said. “It was nice meeting you Stephanie.”


Steph nodded at her, “Night Uncle Tico,” she said giving him a hug. “Tell everyone else I said goodnight.”


“Ok course. And don’t blame your dad for being lame. If I had a little girl I wouldn’t let her outta my sight at all. Especially if she was as beautiful as you, we were boys you know,” Tico said.


“My dad told you to say that,” she said rolling her eyes.


“Not at all,” Tico said. “But he, Richie and Dave talk about the group discount they’re gonna get at the convent. I think they were gonna send you to some mountain in Switzerland.”


“Good night Tico,” Jon said as he put his arm around his daughter and led her back to the elevator. “Ok, Stephie let me hear it. What do you think?”


“Think,” she asked as they entered the elevator.


“Melissa, I know you just met her, but what do you think? And remember that just a couple hours ago you promised me that you were gonna be honest,” Jon said hitting the button for their floor.


“Dad, do I have to do this now, I really have a headache,” Steph started.


“If that’s why you don’t wanna talk about this than that’s fine,” Jon said simply.


“Well, I mean its just weird for me. I see that she makes you happy, and she was nice to me. So I guess that means that I like her enough. I mean I don’t not like her, but I think that’s the best I can do, for now at least” she said.


“Then I guess I’ll have to take it,” Jon said smiling as the doors opened and they made their way down the hall. “Thank you for giving her a chance. It means a lot to me that you two know each other.”


Steph smiled at him as she dug through her bag for her key. “I can’t promise anything Dad, but I can try.”


“That’s all I could ever ask. Are you sure your ok up here,” Jon asked entering the suite and checking around, not sure what he was looking for.


“Of course, I’m just gonna shower quick and then go to bed. I was up early. Don’t worry about me, go on back downstairs,” she said through a yawn.


“Its my job to worry, I thought you knew that by now. I’m right downstairs if you need me. I’ve got my cell,” Jon said giving her a hug and a kiss goodnight.


“Tell everyone I said goodnight. I’ll see you in the morning,” she said as she pulled away from him and turned to walk towards her room.


“I love you Steph,” Jon said.


Steph turned around and looked at him, “I know, I love you too Dad.”


She continued down the hall and he heard her door shut behind her. Jon walked out of the room, making sure the door shut securely behind him. He walked back to the elevator and back down to where he had left his friends. When he reached the door he was surprised at the sight he saw. All of his friends were gathered around the piano singing a rousing rendition of “Piano Man”. Slightly confused Jon walked over to them remaining in the back for a minute enjoying the unique and rare version, confident that Angela had caught it all on film so he could watch it all transpire. At gatherings like these they usually kept work from pleasure, not that they didn’t enjoy their music. But keeping the two separate at times was essential to keeping them sane. When he got closer he saw Dave at the piano with Melissa at his side on the bench. He also noticed that the group was smaller than when he left it. You know you’re getting old when we don’t even stand to see 11:00, he thought. They were making their big finish and gave themselves a hearty round of applause.


“How long was I gone, and you’ve resorted to karaoke,” Jon asked.


“I was wondering what happened to you, I missed my harmonica,” Dave said.


“Oh, God the harmonica,” Angela said from his left. “I would pay to see you and that harmonica.”


“That I think could be arranged,” Jon said with a wink. “Now what brought this whole group over to the piano?”


“These two here, found a way to absolutely murder Heart and Soul,” Dave said gesturing to Tico and Melissa. “So I had to come over and rescue my piano from such a painful experience. You give a bunch of musicians some music and we can’t help but sing along.”


“It wasn’t that bad,” Tico started.


“It’s ok, we were killing it slowly,” Melissa said laughing. “I never said I was a musician, in my defense.”


“That’s for damn sure, but you sure are pretty to look at,” Dave said giving her a kiss on the cheek. “But this piano man, needs to call it a night,” he said rising.


Dave’s declaration started a round of yawns around the piano as they dispersed back throughout the room. Dave left Melissa on the piano bench talking to Lorenza and he went to talk to Jon.


“I really need to get to bed, I feel like an old man. I’ve been up since the probably four this morning with Gabby. I will see you for lunch though. She’s fantastic, Jon. I’m really happy for you,” Dave said.


“Thanks, I think she’s pretty damn fantastic too,” Jon said letting his gaze travel back to her.


“You can’t even not look at her, I can’t remember the last time I saw you like this,” Dave said.


“Sorry man,” Jon said laughing. “I just can’t stop thinking about her.”


“Well then I wont keep you any longer, I’ll see you tomorrow man. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,” Dave said.


“That’s not saying much man,” Jon said.


Dave gave him a crafty smile and headed to Melissa and Angela to say a quick goodnight. Melissa laughed and talked casually with Dave as he left. Jon loved seeing her interact so comfortably with his friends, they were, after all his second family. He couldn’t stand just watching her anymore and he walked over to Melissa.


“Oh mi bella, the pleasure was all mine. You have been wonderful company this evening,” Tico said to Melissa giving her a kiss on the cheek. “If you make Johnny this happy, than as far as I’m concerned you’re as good as family.”


“Thanks,” Melissa said blushing. “And I didn’t mean to embarrass you before at the piano.”


“Oh bella, if it wasn’t that they’d find something else to pick on, its how we show we care,” Tico said laughing.


“He’s right, so you better watch your back. We mock our own, it’s a rule,” Jon said.


“I’m heading up, I’m beat. You know how much I love to fly,” Tico said.


“That I have learned by now, I’ll see you at lunch,” Jon said.


“Don’t let her get away. I hate to jinx this but she looks like the best thing that’s happened to you in God knows how long,” Tico said knocking on the top of the piano.


“I know, I’m a lucky man,” Jon said smiling.


As Tico left Jon looked around at the now nearly empty room. In his head he counted, and the there were four, he thought turning to Melissa, Angela and Richie.


“Well that looks like our cue,” Richie said coming up behind Angela and wrapping his arms around her.


“You don’t have to run outta here,” Jon said half-heartedly.


“That’s alright, we’ve got plans of our own,” Richie said smiling.


“That we do,” Angela said smirking.


“Well if you’re sure,” Jon said. “Rich can you do me a favor, and check on Steph. I’m sure she’s sleeping by now.”


“You got it,” Richie said smiling. “Then I think we have a bet to straighten out.”


“And here I was hoping you forgot,” Angela teased. “Can you go find my bag?”


“Your wish is my command,” Richie said with a bow and set off to the table.


She whispered something to Melissa and then turned to go to Richie, but Jon put his hand on her arm to stop her. “He may have had a little to drink, but don’t let him get away with anything. Call me if he gets a little too rowdy,” Jon told her sincerely. “I know he wouldn’t hurt a fly, but get a bottle of wine in him, and you never know what’s gonna come out of his mouth.”


“Don’t worry about it darlin’, but thank you. I appreciate it,” Angela said.


“What do you appreciate,” Richie said returning.


“He was just warning me about your drunk ass, even though I can’t imagine that you could be more handsy than you are sober,” Angela teased. “Remember what I said,” she said turning to Melissa.


“I think I could be offended, but I’m gonna take the high road here,” Richie said with a mischievous smirk. “Have a good night you two,” he said with a wave as they left the room.


“Alone at last,” Jon said.


Alone indeed, Melissa thought happily to herself, now what?

1 comment:

Bayaderra said...

“Alone at last,” Jon said.



Alone indeed, Melissa thought happily to herself, now what?

Yep, a very good question ;)
Poor Stephanie, can't help but feel sorry for her...Girl of her age really needs her mom. What went sooo wrong with Dorothea?

Loved the "family" interaction.
next chapter please!