Monday, December 8, 2008

Chapter 32

Jon sat backstage at the Wachovia Center putting the final touches on the set list. After the usual cross outs and arrows that usually accompanied his set lists, Jon was satisfied and passed it around to the group of guys around him. They had been discussing it for nearly 45 minutes so there were no great surprises, and they all nodded along their approval, not that it was really needed. It usually was not such a big production, but he had asked Melissa if she had any requests, and after she had sent him nearly every song they had ever recorded, he was feeling a little overwhelmed and the set list reflected it.


“Jon, you do know that this is the longest set list we’ve done in years, right,” Dave asked passing the set list to Tico.


“I guess I got a little carried away, huh? We’ll just have to sell it that we’re a bunch of guys in our 30’s and we can still keep up,” Jon said smiling.


“Damn Jon, she’s got some influential powers over you, there’s gotta be like 50 songs here,” Tico teased.


“God, there’s not that many is there,” Jon said reaching for the list.


“No, do you think we would’ve let you get this far with 50 songs? But you do have it bad for her don’t you,” Tico asked giving him back the piece of paper so he could rewrite it legibly.


“Yeah, I do. I’m glad you’re all here,” Jon said turning to look at the four men who over the years have become closer to him than his family. “I know I’m not usually one to need approval, but I want to know what you think of Melissa. I mean I think she’s amazing, but how about some more objective opinions.”


“Damn, Jon, you really like her huh? You’ve never asked our opinion of the women you’ve been with,” Dave said.


“Well that’s because I knew Dot before anyone of you, and no one else that I’ve been with has been important enough for me to ask what you think,” Jon said while he continued to scribble the set list down.


“You know how I stand. I’ve spent a good amount of time with her, and I like her. And all the little things that Angela tells me that she probably shouldn’t be, makes me like her even more. She’s good for you,” Richie said smiling.


“And I talked to her for a while last night at dinner, she seems like a real sweetheart. She’s so genuine and a real person. I thoroughly enjoyed spending the night with her,” Tico said reassuringly.


“I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with her, but I see how happy she makes you. After the year you’ve been through, anyone who can make you happy must be pretty fuckin’ special,” Dave said.


Jon sat and took in all of everything that they were saying. They had known each other so long that they spoke as one person, simply finishing one another’s thoughts. “Hugh,” Jon asked turning to his usually quiet bassist.


“Well, like Dave I didn’t talk to her too much, but if she likes you enough to stand up to your ex, than she’s a keeper in my book,” Hugh said.


“I know what all of you are saying but it just seems so quick, I haven’t felt like this with anyone besides Dot. I just don’t know what I’m doing here,” Jon said sighing.


“Is Johnny, finally a little outta his comfort zone? I didn’t think that was possible,” Richie teased through a smirk.


“Fuck you Sambora, I’m being serious here,” Jon said.


“I know me too,” Richie happily replied.


Tico, the ever-present voice of wisdom, interrupted the banter between them. “Jon look at it this way, what has she done that would make you question her or has she done anything that makes you a little skeptical?”


“Nothing,” Jon said.


“Then my advice to you is enjoy what you’ve got, and see where it goes. Don’t doubt that she’s too good to be true just yet. I did that with Maria and I almost lost her. From what I’ve seen of you two, she seems pretty damn perfect,” Tico said straightforwardly and Jon nodded at him.


“I do have to say though Jon, I never thought that you would be the one that would end up with the youngest woman outta all of us. I know she’s really young, you better watch yourself before she realizes just how old you are,” Dave teased.


“We weren’t breaking the law last night giving her alcohol last night were we,” Richie asked.


“You know damn well we weren’t, Sambora. But she’s not like the girls we used to have in the 80’s though. She’s smart and focused and-“ Jon began.


“I was only teasing,” Dave said laughing. “A little defensive there? She seems great; it’s nice to have some fresh meat around here, and a little eye candy.”


“Hey,” Jon started but stopped when Dave put his hands up in surrender.


“I’m just kidding. I’ve seen your temper, no need to show me again. Would you feel better if I told you she wasn’t that pretty? No eye candy there. I’ll keep my eye on that friend of hers.”


“I’ll fight you for her,” Richie challenged.


“Her husband may wanna get in on the action too, don’t forget,” Jon said as he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.


The men around him kept up their good-natured teasing as he read the text from Melissa. were going through security…do u mind if we come back or should we head 2 r seats? Instead of answering Jon walked over to a security guard and had him radio over to Jason and Michael that they were to bring the women backstage and gave them their location. Jon headed back over to the rest of the guys and stood in front of them.


“Ok. They’re all here and they’re on their way back now. We weren’t talking about them, got it,” Jon said.


“Talking about who,” Richie said smiling.


“Thanks, and try to behave yourselves,” Jon asked.


“Would you think we wouldn’t be on our best behavior,” Dave said trying to look hurt.


“I’ve seen you on your best behavior and sometimes that’s still not saying much,” Jon threw back at him.


There was a knock at the door and Angela stood at the doorway smiling. “Do you mind if we crash the party,” she asked grinning.


“Absolutely not,” Dave said standing and offered his arm to her. “I think I’m insulted. Sambora this one’s for you.”


When Dave stepped out of the way Jon and the rest of the men couldn’t help but laugh at Angela. She was in a pair of jeans with a well-worn white Mrs. Sambora tee shirt on. “Is that an offer my dear,” Richie said as he walked over to her and led her to sit down on the couch between him and Tico.


Jon walked over to the doorway where Melissa was watching everything play out. She was dressed casually in jeans and a green shirt that made her eyes pop. Simple sheer cap sleeves and a low v-neck accentuated her breasts and her jeans hugged her hips just right. A pair of black low black heels completed her outfit. “I’m sorry I told her not to wear that,” she said.


“Don’t worry about it, I just hope it doesn’t all go to his head,” Jon said. “You look amazing tonight,” he said taking in what she was wearing.


“Well thank you, I try not to embarrass the band unlike some people,” she said.


“My only concern is, are you gonna be able to dance in those,” Jon said looking at her shoes. “Because I don’t wanna see your butt in your seat, one bit.”


“Don’t worry, we came for a party and that’s exactly what we plan on doing, dancing the night away. Besides these are nothing, don’t sweat it,” she said smiling. “You haven’t changed a bit since the last tour I see. Taking it back to the early legs,” she said gesturing to his clothes. A black v-neck tee shirt, his too tight black jeans and black sneakers were almost identical to the first time she saw him play on the last tour.


“Why fix what ain’t broke,” he said.


“Hi, Dad,” Steph said as she walked in the door, followed closely by Cara.


“Hey, you look all dressed up just to see your old man go to work,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the top of her head.


“Dad, its not like I’m gonna be stuck in some office building or something. There’s Uncle Richie, I have to go ask him something,” Steph said and walked over to the group that was talking and laughing behind them.


“She really loves you. I don’t think she could stop talking about you all the way over here. She’s really proud of you,” Melissa said quietly to Jon as to not be overheard by prying ears.


“That’s a mutual feeling let me tell you,” Jon said feeling a sense of pride that his daughter was bragging about him.


“I know,” Melissa said smiling.


“Mel, Oh my Jovi come look at this,” Angela squealed from the other side of the room.


Laughter and teasing erupted at the “Oh my Jovi” comment and Angela, like always, took it in stride reminding them that she had given them enough money throughout the years to say “whatever she damn well pleases”. Melissa walked over to the group, her hand firmly tucked in Jon’s, and stopped in front of her friend who was comfortably situated on Richie’s lap.


“Melissa, before I forget to ask, how’s my truck doing,” Tico teased.


“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Melissa answered with an attempt at an innocent face.


“What happened were you guys in an accident,” Jon asked Melissa and then looked at his daughter.


“No we weren’t in an accident,” Melissa said confidently.


“From what I hear it was a matter of millimeters,” Tico continued.


“What happened to ‘what happens in the car, stays in the car’” Melissa asked.


“That may work for Vegas, but they dragged it outta me,” Angela protested.


“I just asked how the drive over was with traffic,” Richie said. “She squealed on her own, and for the record she wasn’t the only one.”


“You too, Steph,” Melissa asked her, and got a shy nod in return. “Guys it wasn’t that close.”


“No guys she’s right. If we were like microscopic insects or something, then it wasn’t even close,” Angela said.


“Who’s side are you on,” Melissa asked her. “It wasn’t my fault anyway. I’m from Jersey, that makes me an aggressive driver.”


“Oh Bella, I’m just kidding. What did I tell you about teasing, it means we like you,” Tico said giving her a kiss on the cheek as he passed her to get himself another drink.


“Anyway, Mrs. Sambora, what am I looking at,” Melissa teased back at her.


“I see we have our first round of congratulations,” Richie said smiling.


Ignoring him Angela handed her a piece of paper. “Melissa they listened to us. We had control over what they’re playing tonight,” she said in a near squeal.


“Of course we listened, why wouldn’t we,” Jon asked surprised.


“Well its still a little weird to think that we have any say in what happens on stage to the biggest band in the UNIVERSE,” Angela said.


“I think I’d have some problems if I didn’t listen to my girlfriend. And you missy are not one I’d want to ignore either. But if you continue to cause fighting between my band I’m gonna have to ban you,” Jon said to Angela.


“Were you all fighting over me again,” Angela said teasingly, as her cell phone rang in her purse. Bon Jovi music blared out of the phone as it rang and the men around her tried to muffle their laughs. Answering the phone to stop the ringing she stopped and looked them all in the eye. “Remember what I said, I’ve given you a lot of money over the years.” She stood and walked to the door to take the call in private and Melissa could hear her talking to Tommy.


The men returned to their conversations and Melissa remembered the piece of paper that she was handed and saw that she did in fact have a bit of influence over what they were playing.

Let it Rock

Bad Name

Born to be my Baby

We Got it Goin’ On

Crash

Raise Your Hands

One Wild Night

If God was a Woman- Richie Vox

Always

Jersey Girl

Runaway

Bad Medicine (shout)

Wild in the Streets

Something for the Pain

Dry County

It’s my Life

Livin’ In Sin- Richie Vox

These Days

Stick to your Guns

Faith

Bells of Freedom

HAND

Who Says you Cant go Home

ENCORE:

Twist and Shout

I Love This Town

Prayer

ENCORE II:

Lie to Me

Wanted

“Jon most of these songs you don’t usually play. Are they really because I asked you,” Melissa asked.


“Of course. And if you didn’t give me like 100 songs there would probably be more of your requests in there,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the temple.


Angela made a rather dramatic reentry and declared that it was getting close to show time and they should be heading to their seats. Now way were they gonna be the slightest bit off because they were distracted.


Melissa, Angela, Steph and Cara said goodbye to the guys pretty quickly, but each stopped an extra minute to linger a bit longer. Angela was still getting some teasing from Dave about her shirt and he was assuring he that he would buy her a “Mrs. Bryan” shirt that she promised to wear around his girlfriend. Steph was deep in conversation with Richie, but couldn’t be overheard by anyone. Melissa lingered a little longer to talk to Jon, not able to leave him. He was even more irresistible when he was in “performance mode”.


“Are you sure you have everything you need,” Jon asked her.


“Yup I’ve got the tickets, and this lovely lanyard,” Melissa said pulling her all-access pass over her head.


“And if you need anything at all you’ll let Cara or Jason know,” Jon asked.


“Yes, I’ll let them know, but I have done the whole concert thing before,” Melissa teased.


“I know, I’ll see you out there,” Jon said as Angela and Steph appeared behind them.


“I guess it’s 20 minutes till show time when we finally get kicked out,” Angela said.


“Ok have fun you guys and be safe,” Jon said. “Keep your phone where you can feel it and make sure it’s on vibrate,” he whispered to Melissa as he gave her a quick kiss goodbye.


Melissa, Angela and Cara made their way into the hall, but Jon grabbed Steph’s arm before she could join them. “You ok, sweetie?”


“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for letting me come this weekend. I love seeing you guys play, and I usually don’t get to go. Have fun dad, I’ll be watching,” Steph said giving him a kiss on the cheek.


“I love you hun, you know you can come watch your old man play anytime,” Jon said pulling her into a hug.


“I love you too Dad,” Steph said before leaving and following the women in the hall and up to their seats.


Once the women were gone Jon shut the door and turned to his band mates. “OK guys, there’s a couple changes to the set,” Jon said to many groans.


“Just one show I’d like to see you make a set list and leave the damn thing alone,” Richie said getting grabbing a pen to make the necessary changes on his copy.


“I’ve got some special women in my life, and I just want to show them how much I care,” Jon said smiling.


Upstairs, the four women made their way to their seats with the help of their security and sat back waiting in anticipation for the show to start. As promised, the seats were fantastic, even better than seats on the floor. They had a clear view of all of the guys and the side ramps came right out and even a little past their seats. The only thing between them and the stage was a low rail and next to her Melissa could see Angela calculating how to get on stage and past security. Melissa found an interesting image in her head of Angela running on stage with Jason, who was easily double her size, leaping from the chair next to her to stop her. On the other side of her she could imagine Steph looking on in horror and Angela rushed the stage. Shaking her head and willing the thought away Melissa put her phone on vibrate and slipped it into her pocket as she had been asked.


They made small talk with each other as they waited for the lights to go down, and the arena around them was buzzing in anticipation. A few minutes before eight, Ron Jaworski and Craig Spencer, both co-owners of the team, along with their wives made their way down their row to their seats. The reintroduced themselves and spoke a few minutes to each of them as they made their way to their seats. It seemed as though everything and everyone was now in place and the band could finally get to work. Melissa felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and she took it out. She read a simple its show time… and as she read the last letters the lights in the arena went out and the crowd went wild. Jumping to their feet Melissa and Angela joined in the screaming as they could see movement on stage.


This is gonna be one hell of a show, Melissa thought, yup that’s my boyfriend up there. You’ve gotta be friggin’ kidding me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the new chapter!

Linda

Bayaderra said...

Wow! What a set list!
ROFLMAO @ Angela's shirt! I wonder what did Steph and Richie talk about...hmmmm

Anonymous said...

Noooooo! said in stunned disbelief that there was no more to read yet . . . .