Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chapter 34

Jon was backstage listening to the screaming crowd as he took a much-needed breather before heading out for the finale. He sat in a folding chair with his blue shirt hanging open, as one of the wardrobe assistants had a hairdryer trying to cool him off and dry his hair at the same time. He had his cell phone in his right hand waiting for a message from his daughter that didn’t seem to be coming. Even though he was still focused on the show at hand, he couldn’t help but think of what an amazing show they had working tonight. Lost in his thoughts he barely noticed the noise of the crowd die down and Richie had to nearly yell to get his attention.


“Jon,” Richie began. “Hurry your ass up here, you’re gonna wanna see this.”


“What are you talking about man,” Jon asked nodding to the woman that he was dry enough to get back on stage.


“Just get up here, or you’re gonna be kicking yourself,” Richie said and pulled Jon out of his makeshift dressing room and up into the wings of the stage. Jon was stunned when he saw his daughter standing center stage with a microphone in her hand.


“What the hell is going on,” Jon said with a hint of irritability. He had always tried to keep his kids out of the limelight and it was a shock to see her before thousands of people, making herself the focus of their attention.


“Just shut up and listen. I swear sometimes you two share a brain,” Richie said and pushed him up on stage but kept him out of the lights not to take away from her moment.


Someone came up behind Richie and he quickly excused himself. Next to him the rest of the band appeared and they all exchanged unknowing glances. Leave it to Richie to be in on all the little secrets, Jon thought as Steph began to speak.


“Hi everyone, thanks for coming out tonight this show has been amazing. Probably one of the best I’ve ever been to, and I’ve been coming to shows since before I could walk or talk. I guess I should introduce myself my name is Stephanie Bongiovi. Firstly I just needed to come up here to thank my dad for the dedication he just made to me. I don’t know if he can even hear me, but I love you Dad.”


The audience let out a collective “aww” and Jon felt tears welling up in his eyes. He was standing in awe of her, her composure in the situation, and the comfort and eloquence in which she let her feelings flow.


“I’m sure Uncle Richie has him somewhere he can hear me. I owe him a big thank you because he was the integral piece of my plan tonight. Now I promise that I had no idea my dad was gonna sing to me, and he better not have known that I had anything planned for him tonight either. I was planning on doing this on his birthday, but he was down here with all of you and I couldn’t make that show but the youtube videos show he was having the time of his life. But this weekend and everything that’s happened recently, seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to try to show my dad just how important he is to me and how much I love him. And I could’ve done this at home or somewhere a little more private, but I want the whole world to know that I have the best dad in the whole world, and what an amazing man he really is when you get past the rock starness.


“When I was thinking of what song to sing there was one that I thought perfectly encompassed everything I was trying to convey. I know traditionally it’s a love song, but I always thought that the first person you’re really in love with is you parents because they are the first people who love you unconditionally and I’ve learned that time and time again.” Steph walked towards the back of the stage near Dave’s keyboards and Jon stepped back into the shadows just a bit so she wouldn’t see him just yet.


“Now I don’t know if I’ve really got this whole keyboard thing down, and I hope Uncle Dave doesn’t mind because I technically didn’t ask, so please bear with me,” Steph said looking at the four keyboards set up.


“Not so fast darlin’,” Richie said from the side of the stage. “I’ve got that little something you asked me to track down for you.”


Jon couldn’t see what he was referring to and tried to get a better view. The crowd was so captivated by the story that was unfolding before them, that they gave a surprisingly subdued cheer for Richie.


“How did you manage to pull this off,” Steph asked.


“You drop the name Richie Sambora and it makes it a little bit easier. Not much, but a little,” he said smiling. “I’ll leave you to your business, don’t mind me I’m just the messenger. Knock ‘em dead,” Richie said giving her a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.


Jon saw three roadies wheeling a grand piano across the stage. Two more quickly followed with a piano bench, and a microphone stand. Richie appeared at Jon’s side as he whispered, “I told you, you weren’t gonna wanna miss this.” Jon looked back at him still in awe of everything, and saw his daughter settling in on the piano bench and adjusting the microphone stand as needed.


She played a few notes, to get her fingers warmed and ready. “Dad, I just want to say that I love you so much, and well, I’ll run the risk of sounding corny, but thank you for loving me.” The audience gave her a round of applause as she braced herself for the biggest performance of her life. She started to play flawlessly, and her voice effortlessly flowed through the arena.

It's hard for me to say the things
I want to say sometimes.
There's no one here but you and me,
And that broken old streetlight.
Lock the doors;
We'll leave the world outside.
All I've got to give to you,
Are these five words when I.

Thank you for loving me.
For being my eyes,
When I couldn't see.
For parting my lips,
When I couldn't breathe.
Thank you for loving me.
Thank you for loving me.”


Jon listened to her in amazement. Her voice and piano skills sounded so much more mature than her 15 years. He had never heard anything more beautiful, as his daughter bore her soul to him for the whole world to see. After all the time he worried if he was doing things right for her, it had been there right in front of him all along. The only thing she needed was his love, and that was something that he was sure to be able to give her. Overwhelmed with emotion he felt a tear flow down his face, but made no movement to hide it.


You pick me up when I fall down.
You ring the bell before they count me out.
If I was drowning you would part the sea,
And risk your own life to rescue me.

When I couldn't fly,
Oh, you gave me wings.
You parted my lips,
When I couldn't breathe.
Thank you for loving me.
Thank you for loving me.
Thank you for loving me,
For loving me”


As Steph closed the song with a piano solo, Jon made his way on stage tears fresh in his eyes. The audience gave her one of the loudest ovations of the night as he made his way to the piano. He took her in his arms and held her tight.


“Thank you baby girl, I really needed that,” Jon whispered in her ear as he kissed her forehead. He took the microphone from the stand and addressed the audience. “Can I hear it one more time for my not so little girl,” Jon asked giving a little bow as he presented his daughter. The obliged of course, and Jon swelled with pride. As they quieted down he continued, “Now I don’t know how the hell I’m gonna follow that but I’m sure as hell gonna try.” He smiled as the crowd cheered excitedly, and he led Steph off the back of the stage his arm firmly around her shoulder.


They were greeted backstage by four very proud uncles, and Jon’s emotions left him speechless. Compliments were flying, and they almost had to be pulled back on stage, once the piano was cleared, to finish the show. They played both encores without any further surprises and around 11:30 the band made their final curtain call and were heading backstage.


The band quickly showered and changed into street clothes before heading down to the larger room where they had been prior to the show. It was now transformed from an uneventful room to a post show meeting area with food and drinks for all. The room was filled with about 35 people, not including the band, that were somehow related to the Soul and had managed to get backstage. When Jon arrived he was happy to see that all of the attention was still on Steph as people were giving her much deserved praise. The sense of pride that he had felt watching her play came flooding back, and he didn’t know if he could be any happier.


Jon made his rounds of the room, but never really took his eyes off of his daughter and the grace that seemed to radiate off of her. He hardly noticed when Melissa and Angela said their goodnights shortly after midnight insisting that they had had enough of an adventure for one night. Jason accompanied them back to the hotel, and Jon checked in a little later to make sure that they had indeed arrived safely. The room began to empty out after 45 minutes or so and Richie was the first one of the band to leave around 12:30, mentioning something about Ava as he left. It didn’t even matter who Jon was talking too and what they were saying; the building could’ve been on fire and it wouldn’t have fazed him. Tonight was as close to perfect as it could get and there wasn’t anything that was changing that for him.


******


Around 1:30 Melissa had talked herself in circles to Angela and thought her head may explode if she wasn’t able to get some real answers about what had happened tonight. Contrary to her recent actions, she wasn’t a jealous woman by nature, but all day she found herself staking claim to a man, who she feared wasn’t as invested in their relationship as she was. He had referred to her as a friend after all. Melissa stood from the couch and grabbed her key and cell phone from her purse.


“Melissa, where are you going,” Angela asked. “Especially dressed like that,” she added gesturing to her pajamas and wet hair.


“I think there’s one person who can give me some straight answers, without all the bullshit. I’ll be back, don’t wait up for me,” Melissa said as she walked to the door.


“Melissa please tell me where you’re going,” Angela said catching the door before she could open it.


“I’ll be fine, Ang, I promise. I’m not even leaving the floor. I have my phone,” Melissa said determined to not be talked out of this.


“Ok, be careful. I’ll be right here when you get back,” Angela said giving her a quick hug.


Melissa nodded and walked out into the hallway. She walked with determined steps two rooms down and stopped outside the door. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I don’t need to ring the bell and wake him if he’s sleeping. She was about to turn to leave when there was no answer. It’s after 1:30 he’s probably not even back yet, or he can’t hear me knocking. She was about to give one more knock before giving up when the door opened to her surprise and relief.


“I’m sorry I know its late, but is it ok if I come in to talk to you for a couple of minutes,” Melissa asked looking up at him.


“Of course, come on in darlin’. I had a feeling I’d be seeing you,” he said.


Melissa looked up at the warm chocolate eyes welcoming her inside. God I hope this was the right decision, Melissa thought as she passed him in the doorway and made her way inside.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will Richie be able to fix this and make her feel better? Jon didn't seem concerned at all about where they were or spending any time with her at the after party...

More soon!!

Linda

Bayaderra said...

Hmmmm, I'm also wondering why Jon payed so little attention to Mel after the show....
OK, Richie to the rescue!!!