Monday, December 1, 2008

Chapter 31

Around 10:30 Melissa and Angela headed over to Jon’s room, to meet him before heading to lunch. Before they left, Melissa had told Angela every detail of what had happened after she left last night, and in turn Angela gave her full blessing to Melissa for her sudden need for full disclosure. Confident, but anxious with her decision to tell Jon, left her feeling a need to “pump herself up” all day in anticipation of that evening.


When the two women arrived at his hotel room and knocked Jon answered it with a smile, and a kiss for Melissa. “Morning, you ladies are early. Come on in, make yourself at home,” he said holding the door open for them. They followed him into the suite over to the living room area. “Steph, Melissa and Angela are here,” he called to his daughter on the far side of the room.


She looked up from the table where she had a variety of books, papers and her computer spread out. “Hi,” she said, “its nice to see you again,” before digging through her book.


“She’s got a paper due Monday, and she’s been at it all morning. If I had that kinda drive at her age when it came to school, I would’ve graduated with honors,” Jon said as the women sat down on a set of couches, and sat on a coffee table across from them.


“I know we’ve got some lunch thing, but what exactly are we doing,” Melissa asked curiously.


“Well, we’ll all be leaving here in about an hour and were gonna head over to the Hard Rock. We’re doing a big lunch for the Soul players, coaches and executives and their families. We’ll be there for a couple hours and then the band is off to the Spectrum for sound check and stuff, we should be there by 3:30, 4 at the latest. You guys are welcome to join us, but you’d probably be pretty bored, especially after sound check because the show isn’t scheduled to start until 8. You are more then welcome to come back here and then drive over when you’re ready. Cara has all the tickets and stuff; I made sure that you both have all access passes so you shouldn’t have a problem getting around. As long as you don’t abuse it that is,” he said giving Angela a teasing look.


“Me? I think I’m insulted you would think such a thing,” Angela teased.


“Yeah, yeah. I saw you passed out last night with a certain someone,” Jon teased back.


“I’m glad you saw it, better keep that guitarist of yours under control. I’ve got pictures to prove it,” Angela said smiling.


“Anyway, before we leave I’ll make sure you meet Jason. He’s the security guard that will be with you tonight,” Jon started.


“I don’t think that’s necessary,” Melissa said. “We’ve been to a bunch of shows and we’ve never had a problem.”


“It will ease my mind. Once people know you’re with the band, they may get nasty and aggressive. It will also be easier to get around, to your seats, back stage, and he can get anything else you need.” Melissa opened her mouth to protest again, but he stopped her. “Jason knows what he’s doing, he’ll give you your space if that’s what you’re afraid of. He’s done the same thing a couple of times this last tour when family would come. There will be two security guards there for you at the show. One that’ll stay with you two and another to make sure everything is ok with Cara and Steph. The row you’re in has all of our people, so you should keep your privacy.”


“Security we can deal with, but where are our seats, stage right I would hope” Angela asked mischievously.


“Angela, you never cease to amaze me, you should be a little grateful,” Melissa said shaking her head.


“Yeah, that’s where we always have our seats. Front row, I hope that’s ok with you,” Jon said smiling.


“Are you kidding, that’s perfect? Thanks again, we really appreciate this,” Melissa said.


“Not a problem at all. You’ll even be closer than the Soul players, and it’s their concert,” Jon said. “Now I should go change before the other guys get here, and we’re all ready to go.”


“We’ll anxiously wait for their arrival,” Angela said.


“Make yourself at home, there’s coffee on the dining room table, the remote’s around here somewhere too. Help yourself to whatever,” Jon said standing to go.


“This I can get used to,” Angela said looking around for the remote. Jon smiled and gave Melissa a quick kiss before leaving, both conscious that his daughter was nearby. “How funny is this, look what’s on, Young Guns II. I think I found what we’re watching till you get back Mr. Movie Star.” Jon shook his head at her and headed to his room, stopping for a second to tell his daughter something.


Melissa and Angela watched the movie for a couple of minutes before Melissa whispered to her friend. “Ang I think I’m gonna go over and talk to her.”


“Why,” Angela asked.


“I dunno, it just seems like the right thing to do. To say hi at least,” Melissa said.


“Go ahead then, me and Jon will be right here waiting for you,” Angela said with an encouraging smile.


Melissa got up and walked over to the table where Steph was working. “Hi again. It looks like you’ve got a bunch of work to do here.”


“Yeah,” Steph said looking up at her.


“Do you mind if I,” Melissa said gesturing to the empty seats around her.


“No, go ahead,” Steph said tentatively.


“I remember all the papers. I spent many weekends just like this all through school. Up until last year when I finally finished night school. I was so happy when I finally got my certification, mainly so I could have my weekends back. What’s the paper on,” Melissa said brightly.


“American government, we were given a court case and we have to argue both sides and site our arguments,” Steph said starting to warm up a little.


“Do you need any help, this is right up my alley,” Melissa offered.


“I thought you worked at a hospital,” Steph asked.


“I do but I have my law degree from NYU. I worked at a firm in the city for a year or so. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve practiced but I’m sure I remember something. What’s the topic,” Melissa asked.


“It’s this kid who robbed a store to feed his younger siblings that he was caring for. I need an argument for the defense and prosecution on whether he is guilty or not and if he should be tried as a minor or an adult. But I think I’ve got it.”


“Ok, if you’re sure. Let me know if you need any help, I can help you through this in no ti-“ Melissa was cut short as Jon’s phone on the table started to ring. When Steph made no move to answer it, she called out to Jon. “Jon your phone’s ringing, do you want it.”


“Is it my phone or blackberry,” he asked through the door.


“Phone,” she answered grabbing it off the table.


“Go ahead and answer it,” he said. “If they need me I’ll call them back in a couple minutes. If not you can just take a message.”


Surprised with his level of trust in her to answer his phone. This was Jon Bon Jovi’s phone after all, anyone could be calling him. Taking a breath she opened the phone, “Hello?”


“Who is this? Cara,” an angry woman’s voice asked.


“No this isn’t Cara, can I help you with something,” Melissa asked.


“I want to know who is answering my husband’s phone. Who is this and what makes you think you can get close enough to my man to take his personal things,” the voice yelled at her.


“Excuse me, I think you may have the wrong number,” Melissa said confused.


“I do not have the wrong number, Jon’s had this number for years. And you didn’t answer the question; how did you get his phone and what you’re doing with my husband.”


Melissa still wasn’t sure who was on the phone but something in her snapped and she felt a jealous and protective wave flood over her. Who was this woman calling her boyfriend her husband. Her boyfriend who had been the best thing that had happened to her in years. “Look I don’t know who this is, but if you’re sure you don’t have the wrong number then either you should lose it or get your facts straightened.” Melissa’s voice was growing more irritated and confident with every word. “You sound quite confident in your right to him so I’m not thinking you’re some psycho fan who thinks that he’s in love with her. Because I can assure you that he is not married.”


“Look little girl you have no idea who you’re messing with,” the woman spat back at her. “How dare you insinuate that I’m some stupid groupie? Put my husband on the phone now.


That was when Melissa figured out who the woman was; there was only one explanation. It must be his ex-wife. Even angrier now, after hearing how she had hurt Jon, Melissa held nothing back. “The only alternative would be that you are his ex-wife. In that case you have no claims to him, and no right to speak to me or anyone like that. You lost that right a long time ago when you took his world from him. From what I’ve heard you haven’t had a problem moving on from him, so how dare you think that you can still control his life?”


Across the table Steph called for her dad, though Melissa remained oblivious to her and Angela who both had stunned looks on their faces. Dorothea had heard her daughter, which only enraged her more. “Is that my daughter? How dare you speak to me like that in front of my daughter? What kind of groupie has he shacked up with now that thinks she can speak to me like this? Put my daughter on the phone,” Dorothea demanded.


“One minute you’re calling him your husband and the next your mad at him, for how did you put it, ‘shacking up with a groupie’? Make up your mind will you, is he yours or not,” Melissa yelled back.


“How dare you talk to me like that in front of my daughter? Put her on the phone now, or so help me,” Dorothea threatened.


“Your daughter who you love so much, that you stole her from her father? And the way you talk about her, you treat her like a possession, not like a person. You don’t treat her with the slightest bit of respect. My daughter this and my daughter that, she has a name. You sound more than a little insecure about your relationship with her to become so possessive when you hear another woman is with her.”


“Who do you think you are to judge me,” Dorothea asked.


“Evidentially nothing more than a groupie that your ex is shacked up with for the weekend,” Melissa said infuriated. She couldn’t take anymore from Dorothea and extended the phone across the table to Steph, snapping her back to reality. “Your mother would like to speak with you,” she said before standing, she could hear screaming from the phone as she walked from the table in shock.


She stood in the middle of the room stunned, not believing the words that she had just said and the level of spite she had felt almost immediately. Her head was spinning with a million different thoughts that she barely felt Jon touch her and pull her into a hug. She felt a wave of embarrassment flood over her. She looked up at Jon and saw his eyes, not angry but concerned, looking deep into her own. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, I don’t know what happened.”


“Are you ok,” he asked, and she nodded continuing her round of apologies. “Steph tell your mother I will call her back later.” Jon led her over to a chair and he knelt in front of her.


“I am so sorry. I’m so embarrassed I had no right to talk to her like that,” Melissa said.


“I’m sure she provoked you enough that she deserved it. What did she say to you?”


“She kept calling you her husband, and I guess I got a little jealous. Then she called me a groupie; I don’t even know what else she said. I am so sorry; I shouldn’t speak to the mother of your children like that. And I never meant for Stephanie to hear what I said. Oh my god, I’m sorry. You must think I’m a horrible person,” Melissa said starting to ramble.


“Hey, normally I would agree with you on both of those things, but I know how Dot can be. She can be nasty and hurtful, and I’m sorry that she was horrible to you; she had no right to do that. And if it was anyone else I wouldn’t even think twice about and neither would you. Besides it’s nice to see someone a little jealous on my behalf. I don’t think I’ve ever had someone come to my defense as quickly as you did there,” Jon said smiling. “I’m not mad at you, I promise. Don’t worry about it. I bet if you tell any of the guys especially Richie or Hugh, they would be in awe of the way you handled Dot. Richie and Dot never got along in all the years we were together and I think she still scares the crap outta Hugh that he still called her Mrs. Bongiovi until the divorce. Poor guy didn’t look her in the eye more than a couple dozen times in the 20 plus years I’ve known him.”


“You’re sure you’re not mad? I was so outta line,” Melissa said still unable to believe what she had done.


“You said nothing but the truth, and how could I be mad at you. After everything I told you last night, I still owe you for what you’ve helped me see. And seriously wait till the guys hear what happened, you’re gonna be their hero. They may even give you a holiday,” he said smiling. Melissa smiled, finding it hard to believe that after all this time his friends were still afraid of his ex-wife. “Now if you’re ok, I have to finish getting ready, but I think I’ll take my phone with me,” he said teasing as he got up and walked back across the room.


He stopped at the table where his daughter was still sitting, “Mom’s pretty mad I assume?”


“Pretty furious,” she answered with a smile.


“Try not to look so happy about that. I’ve still gotta talk to her,” he said picking up his phone.


“Sorry Dad, but I’m glad someone finally put her in her place. Melissa’s great you know, to talk to mom like that. She must really care about you, and be pretty fearless,” Steph said not able to wipe the smile off of her face.


“I told you she was fantastic,” Jon said. “Now if you could not smile so hard,” he said as he gave her a kiss on the forehead.


“No promises there,” she said turning back to her work as he headed to his room.


“Jon,” Angela said quietly as to not be overheard. “Thank you.”


“For what,” he asked.


“You’ve done something to her. The Melissa I just saw hasn’t been around, in a long, long time. A part of her is alive again, and it’s good to see her this happy. I know it’s because of you, so thank you. From me and Tommy,” she said and left for Melissa before he could respond.


Melissa sat on the couch where Jon had left her, still in disbelief of what she had done, and only looked up when she heard Steph call her name. “Can I sit for a minute,” Steph asked.


“Of course,” Melissa said, unsure of what she was going to say.


“Thank you for what you said,” Steph said with a smile still firmly in place.


“What,” Melissa asked puzzled.


“For standing up to my mom like that. For me and my dad. People are usually afraid of her, but you just took her for what she is and blindly defended us. I mean you hardly even know me, and you haven’t known my dad that long either,” Steph said.


“I’m sorry that you heard what I said, I am so embarrassed. It really wasn’t my place,” Melissa said.


“Are you kidding? I don’t think I would’ve believed it if I didn’t hear it. And no reenactment is gonna do it justice. My mom can be a real bitch, I should know. I know she probably said horrible things to you, but it’s a big club you’re a part of now. Don’t take it personally. I’m glad my dad found you.”


“Thanks that means a lot. And while I have your approval I just want to make some things clear as far as you and me. I know you have a mother, regardless of how you or your dad or I feel about her at the moment, and I have no intention of taking her place in your life. It’s a special relationship, no matter what the dynamic, that I wouldn’t dream of intruding on. I also know your dad loves you very much, and I have no intention of taking him from you. I know what you mean to him, and I know that you come first to him. I don’t think I could be with someone whose kids didn’t come first. All I’m asking is that you could give me a chance, and that we could be friends.”


“Friends I can do, especially because I know how much my dad means to you. I even tried to not like you, and see where that got me. I wasn’t too happy not to be the only woman in my dad’s life, but I guess I’m gonna have to deal with that again. I’m not saying that I like it, but he seems so happy. Besides, I can always use another friend,” Steph said still smiling.


“Me too,” Melissa said smiling. “Now that we’re friends and all do you need help with that paper.”


“Actually I do,” Steph said. “Do you mind?”


“Absolutely not,” Melissa said following her back to the table.


****


Twenty-five minutes later the rest of the band had arrived in Jon’s suite, and Melissa’s heroic tale had been retold to each person as they entered. Just as he had predicted they were amazed with Melissa’s confidence and courage, for lack of a better word. Richie seemed the most pleased with her lashing out at Dot and he had broken into many choruses of “For she’s a jolly good fellow.” Melissa felt empowered by not only her altercation with Dorothea, but also the response she got from her new friends. If there had been any doubt in their minds about her last night, it was cleared from their minds, after they had heard how she had spoken up for herself. As Melissa had promised, she helped Steph finish her paper before the crowd was too noisy to work over. The group of a dozen people had gathered before Cara called their attention.


“Security should be up here in a minute, and then we can be on our way. There’s three cars downstairs waiting. Mr. B, Richie, Dave, Tico and Hugh, you will all be in the black limo that’s downstairs. Bobby, Kurt and Lorenza you will be in one of the black trucks together. Angela, Melissa, Steph and myself will be in the other truck. There will be security there in each car for you. Security will also be at the restaurant to assure a safe arrival. Once inside you are all free to mingle as you please, keeping in mind that we need to leave at three for sound check,” Cara said, as there was a knock at the door and five large men entered. “Perfect security is here just let me make a few phone calls and we can be on our way.”


Jon caught the attention of two of the security guards and made his way over to where Angela, Melissa and Steph were talking with Richie. “I’m glad the three of you are here, I want you to meet Jason and Michael, they will be with you for the rest of the day,” Jon said as the two men nodded at them. “Jason, this is Melissa and Angela, you are to treat them like one of the band and get them whatever they need. Michael I think you remember Steph right?” And again both men nodded as Melissa and Angela shook their hands. “Steph are you going to sound check or are you gonna head over later?”


“I think I’m gonna come back here for a bit, if that’s ok,” Steph answered.


“That’s fine, what did you two decide,” Jon asked turning to Melissa and Angela.


“We’re doin’ the same thing. We’ve gotta rest up for the big party tonight,” Angela said smiling.


“Sound perfect, do you two understand then? Take them back here when they need after lunch and then over to the arena,” Jon said to the two men.


“Yes, sir,” Jason answered.


“Um, Jon, I think we’ll be fine if they meet us there. We can drive over ourselves and meet him at the gate,” Melissa said, still unsure about the need for security.


“Not at all. I’ll make sure Cara gives you the driver’s number and Jason will be here for you,” Jon said.


“No, no it’s fine we can drive over, we don’t need a car. And if we’re all coming back here the four of us can drive over. There’s no need for two separate cars and drivers,” Melissa said.


“I don’t think I ever heard anyone refuse a car, driver and bodyguard so insistently. But hey I know not to get on your bad side,” Jon teased.


“Hey, be nice. She’s my hero,” Richie said smiling. “I’m sure you can come up with a compromise.”


“If it’s ok with Steph, the four of you can drive over, but at least one of these two are going with you. That’s my final offer,” Jon said not backing down.


“Fine with me,” Steph said brightly.


“I’d say deal, but I don’t think there’s enough room in my truck. We’re gonna be all dolled up for you boys, we can’t be squished,” Angela said feeling Melissa’s resistance.


“It’s a deal, you can take Tico’s truck. More than enough room there. And no trying to ditch them, I know Steph’s become a pro at it by now. I just wanna make sure you’re all ok,” Jon said not wanting to come across too demanding or controlling.


“As long as I can drive then it’s a deal,” Melissa said.


“Deal, I’ll let Cara know. Why don’t you all exchange information, in case you need to get in contact with one another,” Jon said before heading across the room.


“He doesn’t mean to hover, he means well. I promise,” Richie said before turning to follow Jon across the room.


“Wait a second, Uncle Richie, can I talk to you a second,” Steph said before disappearing out of earshot.


Melissa and Angela exchanged information with Jason as Jon had asked them, and they were soon on their way to lunch. The four women enjoyed a casual conversation on the short ride to the restaurant. The other two cars containing the band members arrived ahead of them and Melissa and Angela watched in awe as they moved through the crowd of fans and reporters with such ease. Soon all of the members were inside and their car pulled up in front of the group of people. Jason got out of the car and opened the door, helping each of them out before he guided them through the sea of people. They were less interested in them, then they had been with the band, but a few fans recognized Steph and began throwing questions at them. Most wanted to know who they were, and why they were with the band. Melissa was flustered by all the commotion from the crowd and was thankful that Jon had thought ahead and arranged security as they were quickly moved inside the building.


Jon waited for them right inside the doors, knowing how overwhelming a group like that could be to an unsuspecting person. “You all ok,” he asked.


“I guess you know what you’re doing after all, with these two steering us around,” Melissa said regaining her composure.


“What can I say I’ve done this once or twice before. Come on lets go have some fun. I’ll introduce you all around,” Jon said taking Melissa’s hand.


The group followed a hallway into the large dining room where over 100 people were gathered and talking with each other. When they entered the room Richie met them at the door. “Can I show my two favorite ladies around,” he said offering his arm to Steph and Angela.


“Absolutely,” Angela said taking his arm.


“Come on darlin’ I wanna be seen with the prettiest girl in the room,” Richie said turning to Steph, which was promptly followed by a hard elbow in the chest from Angela. “Hey you can’t argue with youth. Besides I know you don’t wanna be stuck with your old man.”


Steph gave Jon a quick kiss on the cheek before taking Richie’s other arm. Melissa took note at her hint of possessiveness that she still had, while Jon silently thanked his friend. Richie nodded and led them over to a group of players and introduced them around. Jon took hold of Melissa’s hand and took her around the room introducing her to his business partners and players. Jon never let go of her hand and was sure to introduce her as his girlfriend each time. Melissa tried hard not to gawk at the players that she met; she was still a fan after all.


After a few hours of conversation and a fantastic meal, Cara rounded up the guys and told them it was time to head over to the arena. Aside from a few grumbles they said their goodbyes and headed back out to the cars. Melissa and Angela stuck around only a few minutes longer, before feeling a bit out of place, not knowing anyone and decided to leave as well. A full entourage of security accompanied them back to the hotel and walked them to their rooms. Melissa thanked them and assured them that she would call when they were ready to leave. Both women were on a high from everyone they had met and collapsed on the couch not able to believe that this was just the beginning. Melissa called over to Jon’s room and left a message for Steph that they were planning to leave around six for the show.


“So we’ve got about an hour and a half to get ready. This may be the best day ever,” Angela said smiling.


“This is pretty awesome isn’t it,” Melissa said still in disbelief that she had spent the afternoon with the football players she had grown to love.


“The best. Are you still gonna tell him,” Angela asked turning to her. Melissa nodded grinning broadly, unable to get words out. “Good.”


“Why, good?”


“Well he gave me part of my best friend back. Only more good can come from this right,” Angela said.


“Absolutely,” Melissa said smiling. “I’m gonna go pick out what to wear,” she said moving from the couch to her room.


As she opened the door the phone in her pocked vibrated. She smiled and opened it when she saw it was from Jon. Heard you left early too…cant wait 2 c u…any requests 4 the setlist???


Melissa couldn’t believe the question she was asked. Was he really asking her what to sing? “Angela you might wanna get in here,” she called down the hall.


gotta pen? She responded with a smile.

3 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Somebody please adjust Dot's meds...Seems like higher dosages and stronger drugs are in order :) Wasn't sure if I liked Mel's interaction with the ex, but since it helped her gain significant ground with Stephanie... So when is the big revelation comming? And what is it????

Scarlett said...

You have no idea how many times I wrote and rewrote this scene! It was driving me nuts, but it was a scene I got on my head and I was too stuborn to let it go. I convinced myself it was a case of the means justifies the ends. I'll be addressing that whole siuation later (not sure when)

Anonymous said...

Loved it!

Linda