Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chapter 52

A little after 6:30 that night, Jon, Melissa, Richie, Steph and Matt sat down to a couple of pizzas for dinner. They had a lively and casual conversation as Steph shared her stories of her afternoon with the group. They all laughed at the antics that were only seen in two-year-olds and attempted to look sympathetic as Steph shared how hard it was to feed Isabella and get her down for a nap. Once three empty pizza boxes and two empty bottles of wine littered the table Melissa excused herself to make a phone call.

Jon followed her to the far side of the kitchen away from prying ears. “Are you ok,” he asked.

“I’m fine, I just have to figure out the details for tomorrow and Tuesday before I forget. In theory it’s just a quick call to Angela to coordinate,” she said.

“Ok, you can go up in my office if you want. If you need the computer or anything its all there for you,” he offered.

“Thanks,” she said giving him a quick kiss before she left.

Richie had most of the dishes cleared when he turned back to the table. Matt came up behind him handing him his glass of wine from dinner. “You got a minute for your brother,” he asked.

“Rich you ok to finish in here,” Jon asked.

“Go ahead, just be back for kick off,” Richie answered.

“Where’d Steph go,” Jon asked.

“She said something about mypage or facespace, something like that. I’m too old to keep up with all that shit,” Richie answered.

“Facebook, Richie, it was Facebook,” Matt said.

“I was close enough,” Richie said.

“You got a minute then,” Matt asked.

“Yeah, ‘course. We’re going outside if you need us, Richie,” Jon said walking towards the kitchen slider.

They walked down the patio and sat in the semi-deserted furniture. Matt immediately grabbed a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and lit one. “Got one for me,” Jon asked and Matt handed him the pack and his lighter. Jon breathed in the familiar and comforting nicotine as he looked at the stars overhead. “What’s up Matt?”

“I’ve known you a long time,” Matt started.

“34 whole years,” Jon said.

“Long enough to know when something’s off,” Matt continued.

“What are you talking about,” Jon asked.

“Something’s been going on with you since Mom and Dad were here. I don’t know if it’s because of them, or Desiree being pregnant or Melissa or you needing to get back on the road or Steph. Whatever it is something’s been weird with you for a month, I just wanted to make sure you’re ok,” Matt said.

“Aww, you worried about me,” Jon teased.

“The way you’ve been acting,” Matt said.

“What’s that supposed to mean,” Jon snapped.

“Look, with the year you’ve been having, there’s a bunch of things that could be bothering you, but you’ve been in rare form. Some people may not have noticed it but I know you. I just wanna make sure everything’s ok,” Matt said.

“You picked up on all that, huh,” Jon asked.

“That’s what you pay me for,” Matt teased.

“Is that what it is? Things are better, that’s all you need to know,” Jon said.

“Ok, I know better then to push it. I’m here if you need someone to talk to,” Matt offered.

“Melissa,” Jon said after a long pause.

“What about her,” Matt asked.

“It was Melissa, not Mom and dad, or Desiree or Steph or whatever else you said,” Jon said.

“Something good with her or something bad,” Matt asked.

“Both.”

“Come on, Jon, it’s me,” Matt said.

“We had a bit of a misunderstanding the week Mom and Dad were here, it had nothing to do with them. But we got everything straightened out this weekend. Its just a hard road sometimes,” Jon answered.

“Can I ask a question,” Matt asked.

“Go ahead.”

“Is she worth it? I mean I have nothing against her, but you’ve got a lot going on in your life right now. Steph and the boys, and a bunch of shit with Dorothea, and you’ll be heading back into the studio soon too I’m sure,” Matt said.

“I love her,” Jon said.

“Are you sure,” Matt asked.

“Positive,” Jon said smiling.

“That stupid smirk says it all,” Matt teased. “As long as you’re happy now.”

“As long as she’s here, I am,” Jon said.

“You know it feels like I know her from somewhere, she looks so familiar,” Matt said.

“You met her when Mom and Dad we here. How can you be so observant sometimes and so oblivious others,” Jon asked.

“That I remember, thanks for that vote of confidence. It just seems like I’ve seen her before, with a gorgeous little brunette,” Matt said.

“You probably have, that sounds like her best friend. Probably either at Elements or some fan club thing,” Jon said.

“She’s a fan,” Matt asked.

“Big time, but she hides it pretty well, huh,” Jon asked.

“She had me fooled,” Matt said.

“I think she said you even bought her drinks one time she met you,” Jon said. “Should I be jealous?”

“And I let her go? No you should probably hit me for being stupid,” Matt said laughing.

“Yeah I got lucky with her,” Jon said.

“It looks like you did,” Matt said.

“Things are gonna start to get crazy, as a heads up,” Jon said.

“What do you mean,” Matt asked.

“I haven’t told Dot that I’m dating anyone and the boys don’t know either,” Jon said.

“Why didn’t you tell them?”

“Because it’s none of her business and she’s already attacked Melissa when she thought she was just some woman. I don’t want to put Mel through all that just yet. And I wanted to make sure it was real with her before I involved the boys. But I want her to meet them, its not fair to her that I keep her separate from that part of my life,” Jon said.

“You’re really serious then huh,” Matt asked.

“Dead serious. I didn’t think I’d love after Dot. Not like this at least. This is the real deal, she’s gonna be around for a long while,” Jon said.

“I’m glad you found someone to make you happy. I’ve never seen you the way you were this last tour,” Matt said.

“You’ve gotta hit rock bottom before you can pull yourself out of it. I hope you never learn that first hand. But I’m in a good place now; she brings the best out in me. I’m not saying we’re perfect because we’ve both got baggage but we’re really good together,” Jon said.

“Baggage,” Matt asked suspiciously.

“Yeah, I’ve got four kids, an ex-wife, a crazy job. You should know, you’re my brother,” Jon said.

“I know all that stupid, but how much baggage can a relationship take before it collapses? That’s why I’m askin’, what’s she carrying around with her,” Matt asked.

“None of your business,” Jon snapped.

“Sorry I asked, you must really love her if you’re this defensive over her,” Matt said.

“I do really love her,” Jon said.

“My ears better be burning, or you’ve got some explaining to do Mr. Bongiovi,” Melissa said shutting the slider behind her.

“Just talking about you,” Jon said smiling as she walked over to them and sat at the end of his chair.

“Is he lying,” she asked turning to Matt.

“Would you pin one brother against another,” he asked.

“Absolutely,” she said as Jon pulled her in for a kiss.

“Where’s my kiss, sweetheart,” Matt asked getting a warning glare from his brother.

“I’m blaming that comment on the wine we all had at dinner,” Melissa said smiling. “Anyway pregame’s on, that’s why I came to find you.”

“Already,” Matt asked standing.

“It’s a quarter of,” she said.

“I’m gonna go catch the end of it,” he said.

“Go ahead we’ll be in, in a minute,” Jon said.

“Uh-hu,” Matt said heading for the house.

“Hey, Matt,” Jon called.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks,” Jon said.

“Anytime,” Matt called as he entered the house.

“What was all that about, or do I not want to know,” she asked.

“Brother talk, you probably don’t wanna know. Nice jersey by the way,” he said looking at his Manning jersey.

“I consider it a sin to not wear a jersey while watching the game. I hope you don’t mind that I helped myself to your closet,” she said.

“Not at all,” Jon said.

“You know you’re really cute when you get possessive,” Melissa teased.

“What,” Jon asked.

“The look you gave Matt, priceless. You have a way of making a girl feel like a million bucks,” Melissa said.

“Thanks, I think. Did you got in touch with Angela,” Jon asked.

“Yup, the memorial service tomorrow is at her school around noon, and then Tuesday everything’s down the shore. They had a summer house there so that’s where the funeral is and the reception afterwards. You didn’t tell me that they asked you to sing,” Melissa said.

“Sorry, I must’ve forgotten. They asked me and I couldn’t say no, even if I wanted to, not that I do. We’ll leave around 11 tomorrow then? Or do we need to leave earlier so you can go home and change,” Jon asked.

“I almost forgot that I have nothing to wear. You’re so smart. Yeah, we’ll leave earlier I guess,” she said.

“Perfect, we’ll figure out when in the morning. We should get in there before they send a search party out for us,” he said.

“You just don’t wanna miss kickoff,” she teased.

“Neither do you,” he said as he stood and offered his hand.

“I know. Lets go,” she said letting him pull her up.

They walked into the house hand in hand and found the others waiting for them. Their mish-moshed group watched the game together as if they had done it every week for years. Cheers, high fives, and hugs were spread around as the Giants won. Steph excused herself shortly after the game was over because she had an early morning ahead of her. Jon and Melissa stayed a while longer talking with Richie and Matt before they too turned in for the night, and Melissa received a kiss from each as she said good night. It was all starting to feel routine and normal to her, finally.

Melissa stopped in Richie’s room on her way upstairs, even though there were very few clothes left that left anything to the imagination that she hadn’t already worn. She changed into a tank top before she left and rummaged through Jon’s drawers for a pair of bottoms before joining him in the bathroom. They brushed their teeth side by side before Jon left her so she could take of her other needs. When she returned to the bedroom she found him sitting on the end of the bed watching highlights from the game.

“Hey, babe,” he said flicking off the tv.

“You don’t have to turn it off for me,” she said.

“Old habits, I guess,” he said stowing the remote on the night table. “Ready for bed?”

“It’s been a long day,” she said as they pulled down the comforter then the sheets in perfect sync.

“Tomorrow I’ll be up early, but you can sleep as late as you want. Just let me know what time you need to be up by,” Jon said getting in bed.

“How early is early,” she asked sliding in bed next to him.

“I wake Steph up at seven. It’s usually I just make sure she’s up, on my way to start the coffee,” Jon said.

“Wow, I don’t miss those days. Just wake me if I’m not up by nine,” she said.

“You got it,” he said giving her a quick kiss.

“Is that all your girlfriend gets,” she teased.

“Not if that’s not all she wants,” he said smiling.

He leaned over her and kissed her deeply. She ran her fingers through his hair and pulled him closer to her. They stayed like that a few minutes before he let his hand travel down her neck to her chest. His hand grazed over each breast before he pulled back from the kiss.

“You ok,” he asked.

“Yeah, and I’m sure,” she said pulling him back for more.

Jon continued working his hands over her breasts feeling her nipples pebble at his touch. She moaned into their kiss Jon continued his exploration. She ran her hands down his back and pulled at his shirt. He pulled away from the kiss as he pulled the shirt over his head and she did the same.

He looked at the woman in front of him and had to remind himself they were taking things slow. He felt himself begin to harden as he took in the sight in front of him. Not tonight, damn it. You can hold out a little longer. As long as she needs, control yourself, he thought as he took a deep breath as his eyes moved up to meet hers.

“Come back here,” she said smiling and pulled his mouth back to hers.

His hand returned to her breast and he continued to caress it as he nibbled on her lip. She ran her nails down his back as he moved his mouth down her neck. When his mouth found her breast she called him softly.

He looked up and could see in her eyes, that she was done for the night. “You’re the boss baby,” he said giving her a gentle kiss, letting his breathing return to normal.

“Thank you,” she said as he backed off of her.

“Lemme just get your shirt,” he said looking around the bed.

“Leave it off, the doors shut,” she said with a twinkle in her eye.

“Don’t have to tell me twice,” he said settling him beside to her, laying on his side so he could look at her.

“Good night, Jon,” she said turning on her side leaning back into him.

“Night, Mel,” Jon said as he draped his arm over her stomach giving her a kiss on the cheek.

They laid together for a couple of minutes as Melissa ran her fingers over Jon’s arm before she spoke. “Jon, are you still awake?”

“Yeah,” he grumbled close to sleep.

“Tomorrow everything changes when we go back to real life. I’m gonna miss this, what we did this weekend,” she said thinking aloud.

“Me too baby,” he said.

“Night, Jon,” she said hearing the sleep in his voice.

“Night,” he said.

Within a couple of minutes his breathing evened and Melissa heard a light snore. It’s been one hell of a fairy tale, I love him, and he loves me. This all seems like a crazy dream. This better not be a dream, she thought as she finally drifted off to sleep.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Lovely chapter Rachel. Awww at Matt, nice to see brotherly love and care. Facebook Richie...Facebook!!! Come and join us there!
Mel, the small steps you're taking with Jon are fine, but you still need to see a therapist with rape conceling experience!

Nayeli said...

it better not be a dream cos it was too cute, I love the mybook facepage thingy from Richie - too awesome.

Keep it up Jon seemed very balanced in this one I love that Matt made sure he was ok.