Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chapter 53

Jon was woken up sometime later as Melissa tossed and turned in bed next to him. He opened his eyes and looked around to find the time. 6:15, shit I’m not getting back to sleep today, Jon thought sitting up. He looked at Melissa next to him; her head was thrashing from side to side and her breathing was heavy. She let out a low moan as Jon ran his hand over her cheek to comfort her.

“Shh, it’s ok Melissa. I’m right here,” he said as she started to calm in her sleep. He stayed until she was sleeping peacefully again. Another nightmare? I thought this was something that only happened once in a while, he thought as he watched her.

A little before seven he kissed her on her forehead and snuck out of bed for a quick shower. He dressed in a well-worn pair of sweats and a tee shirt before he headed to for the hallway. Stopping by Steph’s room he saw that her bathroom door was already shut and set out in search of coffee. He followed the heavenly aroma to the kitchen where Amalia already started a pot and was working on breakfast.

“Morning, Amalia,” he said as he took out a mug.

“Morning, Mr. Jon,” she said smiling.

“Have I ever told you how much I love you,” he said taking a sip.

“That’s just because I cook for you,” she teased.

“And you do such a magnificent job,” he said smiling.

“What would you like for breakfast,” she asked as he took his usual seat at the island.

“I’ve got coffee so anything else you give me is a bonus,” he said.

“How about eggs and toast,” she offered.

“Sounds perfect,” he said.

“Mr. Jon may I ask you a personal question,” she asked as she set to work on the eggs.

“Of course,” he answered.

“Was that Melissa’s car that I saw in the driveway,” she asked.

“It was,” Jon said.

“Can I assume that she is once again a fixture in your life,” she asked.

“Once again?”

“Mr. Jon I have known you far too long for you to be able to keep a secret like that from me,” she said gently.

“And here I was thinking that no one knew. You knew and Matt knew, hell Steph even knew,” he said.

“That’s because we know you and we love you,” she said.

“Well to answer your question, yes she is back. For good this time I hope,” he said.

“Good, she made you very happy,” she said tending to a frying pan.

“She does make me happy. I didn’t think that-“

“Good morning Stephanie,” Amalia said interrupting him.

Jon turned to see his daughter lurking in the doorway. “Morning, Amalia. Morning, Dad,” she said. She was already dressed and her hair was done as she entered with her school bag over her shoulder.

“Morning sweetie,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the head as she sat down next to him.

“Breakfast smells delicious, I could smell it from the stairs,” she said.

“Thank you, it should be ready in a minute,” Amalia said.

“Steph, I don’t know if I’ll be back in time to pick you up from school today so I may have to have Amalia or Cara pick you up. Same for tomorrow,” Jon said.

“Why,” Steph asked.

“I’m going to a memorial service and funeral and I don’t know if I’ll be back in time,” he answered.

“Oh, ok. No biggie. I can just make plans to go home with someone if that’s easier,” she said.

“Which ever you want darlin’,” Jon said.

“Here is your breakfast,” Amalia said placing two plates in front of them and then refilling their mugs. They said their thanks before they dug in.

“Did Uncle Matt go home last night or did he stay here,” Steph asked.

“I have no idea, he and Richie were talking when me and Melissa went up to bed. He may have stayed because he had quite a bit to drink. Is his car still here, Amalia,” he asked.

“I think I saw the Tahoe in the driveway,” she said.

“Then he probably stayed. I’ll wake him when I go back upstairs,” Jon said.

“Morning, Miss Melissa,” Amalia said over their heads.

Jon turned to see Melissa walking across the kitchen. “Morning,” she called and headed straight for the coffee pot. “Amalia, please call me Melissa.”

“Yes, Melissa. May I get you something to eat,” she offered.

“No, thank you. I’ll just munch on some of Jon’s,” Melissa said walking over to where Jon and Steph were sitting.

“Says who,” Jon teased.

“Me,” she said taking a bite of his toast.

“I didn’t wake you did I,” he asked.

“Nope, I’m usually up by now anyway. Morning Steph,” Melissa said happily.

“Morning, Melissa,” Steph answered. She finished up her last couple of bites before she excused herself. “I’m gonna go see who I can go home with. I’ll be back in five minutes so we can leave.”

“Is it that late already,” Jon asked checking the clock.

“Yup, I’ll be right back,” she said already sending out text messages.

“I’ll leave you two. Let me know if there’s anything else I can get you,” Amalia said excusing herself from the kitchen.

“So how did you sleep last night,” Jon asked waiting to see how she would answer.

“I slept wonderfully. That bed of yours is amazing. I didn’t even feel you get up this morning,” she said brightly.

“You did,” he asked.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I,” she asked.

“I’m just making sure. Gotta get you to come back somehow,” he said.

“That bed will definitely do it,” she said giving him a kiss.

“Ok, Catherine said it was ok with her mom if I went home with her. You can pick me up from there whenever,” Steph said as they quickly separated. “Sorry, I should learn to knock.

“Don’t be silly, this is your house. Why are you going home with, Catherine, was it,” Melissa asked.

“Because I’m not sure if I’ll be back down here in time to get her from school,” Jon answered.

“It’s nbd, we’ve got a chem test tomorrow so we can study together,” Steph said.

“Words, Steph, words. Not everyone talks in letters,” Jon said.

“Most people under the age of 40 do,” Melissa teased.

“Yeah, Dad,” Steph said laughing.

Jon rolled his eyes as he check the clock. “Yeah, well you’re gonna be l-a-t-e if we don’t go now,” he said.

“That was a nice try but it wasn’t funny,” Steph said grabbing her bag.

“She’s right it wasn’t funny,” Melissa whispered.

“Who’s side are you on anyway,” Jon pouted.

“With that line, hers,” Melissa teased.

“But, but, what do you call ‘em? Duck lips,” he said sporting his famous lips.

“It was that bad,” she said giving him a kiss.

“Dad, come on we’re gonna be late,” Steph said.

“Come on I’ll walk you and your bruised ego out,” Melissa said grabbing her coffee.

Steph was putting on her coat and tying her shoes when they reached the foyer. “Have a good day at school, Steph. I don’t know when I’ll see you,” Melissa said with a smile.

“Thanks, I’ll try. It is a Monday after all. It was nice having you around,” Steph said holding the door open staring at Jon.

“Go start it,” Jon said handing her his keys then turned to Melissa. “I’ll be back in about 15 minutes.”

”I’ll be waiting,” Melissa said.

“Hey, can you do me a huge favor,” Jon asked.

“Name it.”

“Can you go wake Matt up for me? He sleeps pretty light with a two year old and all, so it shouldn’t be hard. Tell him he needs to get his ass home or his wife’s gonna have both our heads,” Jon said.

“Absolutely,” Melissa said as the car beeped in the driveway. “Go, or she’ll be late. I’ll see you when you get back.”

“I owe you one,” Jon said giving her a quick kiss goodbye and shut the door behind him.

Melissa headed upstairs in search of Matt. She had never seen the entire upstairs and found many closets in her search of guestrooms. The room before Richie’s door was open a crack and she saw his familiar head sprawled out across the bed. She knocked on the door and he rolled over groggily.

“Give Daddy five more minutes, Bell,” he grumbled.

“Matt, it’s Melissa,” she said from the doorway.

“Hmm,” he said opening his eyes and sitting up. “Come on in, what’s the matter.”

Melissa walked over next to the bed stepping over the clothes on the floor. “Sorry to wake you but Jon asked me too. He had to drive Steph to school, but he wanted to make sure that you got up.”

“What time is it,” he asked registering his surroundings.

“A little after eight I think,” she said.

“Shit,” he said climbing out of bed and gathered his shirt and sweats from the floor. “Des is gonna kill me.”

“That’s what Jon said,” Melissa said.

“I should’ve been back a couple hours ago so I could be home when Isabella woke up and have breakfast with her. I don’t mean to run on ya, but I’ve gotta go,” he said giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

“I understand,” she said almost humored by the time it took him to go from dead asleep to ready to drive.

“It was nice seeing you again, next week same time I hope for the game,” he said on his way towards the door.

“Ok, tell Desiree I said hi,” Melissa offered as she followed him as he made his way down the hall to the front door.

He stopped in his tracks and turned to look at her. “I think I was supposed to tell you something to that degree, but now I can’t remember for the life of me. So she says the same.”

“Ok, have a nice day, Matt,” she said holding back a laugh.

“Yeah you too,” he called as he shut the front door behind him.

Across town Jon began his drive back home after dropping Steph at school and his mind was swirling with thoughts. Why did she say she slept fine? Was she lying? After everything why would she start lying about that? Was I imagining things? Am I making more out of this then I should be? I want to help her, but I don’t know if I can be the one to help her. I need to get her help, or show her that she needs to get help. Jon’s thoughts were interrupted as he pulled back into his driveway. I know what I need to do I just don’t know how I’m gonna do it. He walked into the house and found Melissa laughing with Richie at the kitchen counter. Just looking at her, seeing how happy she was, he knew that this was gonna be more difficult then he thought.

3 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Jon, she might be telling the truth...some people block out unpleasant dreams... tread very carefully...

Nayeli said...

Jonny boy don't do something stupid now. I tend to have selective memory too so just ask her if she's ok, geesh she hasn't shared a bed with anyone in how long it may just be getting used to that other person there, I've had the same problem in the past, just cos you're used to someone sharing your bed Jonny doesn't mean she is, maybe she normally sleeps on the other side? Think of that hotshot? lol nope but I did :) Great job Rachel - you know I love this.

Anonymous said...

Jon, she probably doesn't even remember her dreams last night. Talk to her and if she says it was nothing then let it go for now.

Beth