Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chapter 55

A few hours later found the foursome enjoying dinner and drinks at Elements. They were comfortable in the VIP room enjoying their privacy from the public and their private and discrete staff. Matt popped in and out as he could and the group spent their time joking and laughing trying to relieve some of the stress from the afternoon.

Jon kept a close eye on Melissa who seemed to be a little off since earlier in the day. She went through all the motions but something was still missing in her eyes.

“So then Ava comes back in my room shrieking. So I turn and look at her because the way she’s screaming I’m expecting her to be missing a limb. And she’s standing there with this look on her face likes she’s ready to kill me. So I’m like, ‘Av what’s wrong?’ And she’s like ‘Ohmigod DAD how could you not tell me!’ And I was like ‘Tell you what?’ And she was like, ‘They’re gonna be there!’ And I stupidly asked who, to which she replied, ‘The Jonas Brothers! Who else would I be talking about? I cant believe you didn’t tell me!’ And she storms out of my room and I can hear her yelling to one of her friends on the phone and I’m still kinda confused if it’s a good thing or not that they’re gonna be there. So we get there and she sees them and she looks like she’s gonna die. Their handler walks them over to talk to me and I introduce Ava and she just stood there gawking at them. And then I’m thinking ‘After all that this is what she does?’ But she got her picture taken with them and there’s copies all over the house and I’m basically the coolest dad ever. But she killed me because how many of the great artists have I introduced her to over the years and she could’ve cared less. I mean they were nice kids I guess but I can’t even begin to understand their music,” Richie said shaking his head.

“Steph’s the same way, she’s a little past them but she could’ve cared less about Paul McCartney when we ran into him over the summer. But those two nights My Chemical Romance opened last year she was beside herself. She was like Paul who? But OMG its Gerard, hell I can’t even remember his last name. I was definitely the cool dad for a while,” Jon said.

Across the roomDamned” blared from Angela’s purse and she rose to get it.

“I think I like the sound of that,” Richie teased.

She shooed him quiet as she answered it. “Hello? Tommy? I can’t hear you. Hold on lemme call you back,” she said hanging up. “I can’t hear over the music,” she said gesturing to the adjacent bar. “I’m gonna go outside and give him a quick call back.”

“Don’t go outside, you can use Matt’s office. I’ll walk you down, it should be much quieter down there,” Jon offered.

“He won’t mind,” Angela asked.

“Mr. Goes-with-the-flow? No way,” Jon said and gave Melissa a kiss on the forehead. “I’ll be right back.”

“I’ll be here,” she said forcing a smile.

Angela walked towards to door leading back into the bar. “Where are you going,” Jon asked.

“Matt’s office, unless I missed something,” Angela said.

“Not that way we’re not. Over here,” Jon said standing by the staff entrance.

“This is the staff door,” Angela said.

“Then it’s a good thing I know the owner,” he said waiting in the doorway for her.

He led her down a flight of stairs that ended in the kitchen. “It looks like you’ve done this before,” she said.

“I come here sometimes but there’s always fans here. They usually take pictures with Matt, that’s how I know they’re here. I don’t like to be bothered so I sneak in and out. Matt calls it the ‘Real VIP Entrance.’ Think you can keep a secret? Can’t let this get out,” Jon said navigating her through the kitchen.

“My lips are sealed,” she said as they entered a back hallway.

Jon knocked on the door in font of them and waited for a response. When he heard a faint “come in” he opened the door to find Vinny, Matt’s business partner, at his computer. The office was just as barren as the last time he was in here. Stark white walls and minimal decorations that only pertained to the bar hung on the walls.

“God your brother’s a pig. It’s amazing he can get any work done in all this mess,” Angela said looking at the sea of papers on the vacant desk.

“You never cease to amaze me. Hey, Vinny, how are you,” Jon said.

“Can’t complain. Good to see you Jon,” Vinny said standing to talk to Jon.

“Nice to see you too. This is Angela. Ang this is Vinny, Matt’s partner,” Jon said.

“Nice to meet you,” Angela said extending her hand.

“Likewise. Is this the new woman in your life that I’ve heard about,” Vinny asked.

“Not exactly. This is her friend though,” Jon said.

“And I’m happily married,” Angela said pointing to her ring.

“Right, if you’re looking for your brother he’s obviously not here, but is there something I can do for you,” Vinny asked.

“She got a call upstairs but couldn’t hear anything so I just took her down to call back,” Jon said.

“Not a problem, you can use the land line if you’d like,” Vinny offered.

“I’ve got my cell, but thanks,” Angela said.

“I’ll give you some privacy,” Vinny said heading to the door.

“Thanks Vin. And we’re upstairs in the VIP room, stop by and say hi,” Jon said.

“I’ll do that. See you later,” he said closing the door behind him.

“What are you gawking at,” Jon asked.

“I’m actually in Matt Bongiovi’s office. This is where the fan club work gets done, and the updates that I get to my phone from the bar. Crazy being in here,” she said.

“You’re star struck by my kid brother’s office. You’re a piece of work, ya know that,” Jon said.

“Shut up, you love every minute of it,” she teased. “Now be quiet I have to call my husband,” she said dialing her phone.

Angela talked to him for a few minutes giving him the rundown of the day and their plan for tomorrow. He could only talk a few minutes because the dinner crowd was in full force. She said goodbye and saw Jon lying out on the black couch on the far side of the office.

“Comfy,” she asked.

“Oh yeah. It used to be mine in the studio, but we we’re getting rid of it and Matt’s always good to take my used stuff. Easy to please he is. Is everything ok at home,” Jon asked.

“You mean Tommy? Yeah he was just checking in and saying goodnight. All that good stuff,” Angela said.

“Are you itching to get back up fast, or can I talk to you a minute,” Jon asked.

“Is this about Melissa,” she asked worriedly. Jon nodded, “Move over on the couch there buddy. Lemme have it.”

“I don’t want to make a big deal about nothing here but-“

“If you love her and you care, its not nothing,” she said trying to reassure him.

“Don’t tell her I said anything to you, but I think maybe she should talk to someone. About what happened,” Jon said holding his breath waiting for her response.

“I tried for a long time, but she has to want help you can’t force it on her or it’s counterproductive,” Angela said.

“But I think it would be good for her,” Jon said.

“I do too, but she’s a strong woman don’t forget that. She’s been through a hell of a lot as you know and it’s made her stronger. I think she’s the strongest person I know. If anyone can get through this its her, unless there’s something you aren’t telling me,” Angela said.

“Well yesterday morning we were in bed and she woke up in a panic. She told me it was a nightmare like a flash back or something,” Jon said.

“Damn she really did tell you everything didn’t she,” Angela said almost in disbelief.

“She said it happened when she was stressed and we had one hell of a Saturday, so I was concerned but I almost let it go. I thought she needed help but there was an explanation behind it. But then this morning I was up before her and I could tell she was having another one, but she never woke up. I think I talked her through it but when I asked her about it, it was like she had no idea. I’m really worried about her,” Jon said.

“She doesn’t remember them all. It started when she started seeing you, it brought up some stuff in her subconscious. She stayed at my house like a couple months ago and I noticed and then of course after you guys split. I didn’t think there was a reason to upset her if she wasn’t saying anything,” she said.

“I can’t believe I hurt her so bad and neither of us knew it. I really want to help her,” he said.

“You can try, but there’s no promises there. I tried for years, if you can get through to her I’ll be forever indebted,” she said.

“I’m gonna try like hell,” he said.

“Just don’t push too hard or she’ll push back. What else,” she asked.

“That’s it.”

“Don’t you start lying to me, I’ve known you long enough to know when you answer something too quickly,” she said firmly.

“She’s just been a little off today and she won’t talk to me,” Jon said.

“She probably won’t talk to any of us, especially not until she’s ready,” she answered.

“Why?”

“She’s in a bit of a funk and she’s been a little stressed, and she’s probably thinking about her mom a lot. It’ll come in time,” she said.

“I’m not known for my patience,” he said.

“Well, if you plan on sticking around, I suggest that you work on that,” she said.

“Oh, I’m sticking around,” he said smiling.

“Good, ‘cuz I kinda like you,” she teased.

“Oh yeah? I had no idea,” he said smiling.

“But come one we better get back up there before they miss us,” she said standing.

“Like they don’t already,” he said.

“See I knew I liked you,” she teased.

“Thanks for listening,” he said.

“Of course, anytime you need me I’m here. Especially if it’s about Mel,” she said opening the door.

“You’re a great best friend you know that,” he asked leading her back up through the kitchen.

“I know, but you can tell me anytime,” she said with a smile.

So now I think I’ve got a game plan, just to put it in motion, he thought as they reentered the VIP room.

“Hey baby did you miss me,” Jon asked sitting down next to her on one of the plush couches.

“I’m glad you’re back now,” she said with the same empty look in her eyes.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

ROFLMAO!!! At Jonas Brothers and My Chemical Romance! Dad's will never understand their little girls!

Jon, I completely agree with you-Mel needs help. A good therapist should be able to get her on a road to healing. With your loving support, great friends like Angela and Richie, she will make it!

Nayeli said...

too cute the Richie and Jon are the clueless / cool dads of the century but what's up with Mel? I swear if she doesn't open up to Jonny I'm going to tie her up by her toenails. Come on girl give the dog a bone already.