Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chapter 56

Jon headed out around eight to pick Steph up from her friend’s house and take her home. Richie headed home with him leaving the two women to talk. When they left they assured Melissa and Angela that they would be back to pick them up when they were ready but to take their time. The two women ordered a variety of the specialty martinis and walked back to the couches while Matt assured them that their wait staff was discrete and confidential if there were certain things that couldn’t be risked getting out.

“So,” Angela asked setting their drinks down.

“I think I love him,” Melissa said.

“Of course, I could’ve told you that! Did you tell him,” Angela asked.

Friday night and the look on his face, it just felt so right,” Melissa said.

“Yes start there and then don’t leave out a single detail. You headed off Friday night and the way your head was you have no idea the images I had in my head as you sped off. I didn’t even know where you went. I was hoping that I knew but I wasn’t positive. So you left the hospital and,” Angela prodded.

“And I took off down the highway. It was one of those things where I didn’t know how I got there but the next thing I knew I was in front of his house. And I had like tunnel vision I couldn’t see anything around me all I could think was get to the door and go to him. I just kept hitting the bell until the door opened and I was ready just to fall into his arms but Steph opened the door and she sent me running to the studio. Which is one hell of a run by the way. I walked in the building and I could hear his voice and I just wanted to melt. I ran up the stairs and when I saw him I didn’t know what to do. He turned and he looked at me with those blue eyes, I was gone. But then in my head I was thinking ‘What if I’m too late? What makes me think that Jon Bon Jovi is gonna wait around for me?’ But I just stood there and poured my heart out to him and he just held me as I sobbed. That’s when Richie and another guy left, I don’t even know who it was,” Melissa said stopping to take a drink.

“And that must’ve been when Richie called me. He’s a smart man, I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear from you,” Angela said.

“I’m sorry I never meant to worry you, I just got scared. I had to be with him,” Melissa said finishing her drink and grabbed another.

“I’m allowed to worry about you, it’s my job. So then what happened,” Angela asked.

“Then he took me back up to the house and Steph was leaving for a friend’s house for the night. Once she was gone we went upstairs and went right to bed,” Melissa said.

“I’m so jealous! And you were ok,” Angela asked.

“It felt so right being back with him. Letting him hold me close, I didn’t know how much I missed it. I mean I knew I missed him, but I didn’t know just how much,” Melissa said.

“Well I’m glad you realized it, what happened Saturday,” Angela asked.

“We woke up at like the same time and then we went downstairs and got some breakfast and talked. I told him everything. Sometimes I still can’t believe that I did it. I never thought I’d tell another soul. It was so hard. Half of me was playing it all back in my head and then other half of me is watching him and waiting for his reaction. Like it wasn’t hard enough already I had to gage him too. I almost couldn’t do it,” Melissa said signaling to the bartender for another round of drinks.

“Why?”

“Why couldn’t I tell him? Or why did I tell him,” Melissa asked.

“Both.”

“Because I didn’t want him to know that he was dealing with damaged goods. What had happened. What that meant for us. I didn’t want him to judge me for what had happened. What I let happen,” Melissa said taking the drinks from the bartender.

“’Lis, that’s not your fault. You know that,” Angela said.

“Looking back it just feels like there’s something I should’ve done. Or could’ve done,” Melissa said letting her voice trail.

“Melissa listen to me, we’ve been through this before. What could you have done differently,” Angela asked.

“I could’ve left when it all started. Months before I did,” Melissa said with tears in her eyes.

“Sweetheart, I know you did what you could. He had you under his spell. Tell me you know you didn’t do anything wrong,” Angela said.

“Its just so hard to believe when you say what happened out loud. It seemed so obvious,” Melissa said.

“No I want none of that. What did Jon say? Does he think what you thought he would,” Angela asked.

“No he was perfect. He said all the right things; we even kinda talked about sex. He said we would when I was ready and not before. Then Richie came over and he and Jon went out to the bar and that’s when I called you. And when I saw him again I could tell that he was drinking a lot and I felt so guilty, like it was my fault,” Melissa said.

“Melissa Caroline you’re kidding right? That man loves his wine. You know that, I know that, hell I’m sure we can go around the bar and find another person who knows that. Don’t you start blaming yourself for something that not only isn’t your fault but isn’t a problem. You think way too much sometimes,” Angela said.

“It gets better. I was so stupid. I was afraid I was losing him so I tried to make myself have sex with him,” she said fresh tears flowing and the filter from her head to her mouth lost a few drinks ago.

“You didn’t,” Angela said with a horrified look on her face.

“He tried so many times to tell me I didn’t have to but I could see deep in his eyes that he wanted it, but I couldn’t do it. I was so ashamed and scared that that was the final straw,” Melissa said.

“Did you talk to him about it,” Angela asked.

“Not then. I asked him to stay with me a minute and then he left for the bathroom. I couldn’t stay there and wait to see the disappointed look on his face when he came back so I went to talk to Richie. I told him everything and he just let me cry and he tried to tell me it was gonna be ok. When I went back to Jon he was sleeping already, I don’t think I could’ve faced him if he wasn’t. But he left me the sweetest note on my pillow for me. It just said something like ‘I’m sorry and I love you.’ When did I turn into such a mess,” Melissa asked.

“Sweetie, you’re not a mess. You’re just trying to figure out a lot at once. Just a little bit of overdrive that’s all. What happened in the morning,” Angela asked.

“We had a bit of a fight when we got up-“

“What happened, Mel?”

“That doesn’t matter. But eventually we talked, we talked about a lot. I don’t want to get into all that right now. But we really talked, it was good when all was said and done. Then Matt came over last night for the football game. We all had a great time; it was like old hat the five of us together. And we’ve been taking things slow, well slower,” Melissa said.

“Slower, like sex slower,” Angela asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well that’s good, as long as you’re ok with everything. It sounds like you had one hell of a weekend,” Angela said.

“That’s the understatement of the year,” Melissa said finishing another drink.

“How many of those have you had,” Angela asked as Melissa signaled for another.

“I dunno I stopped counting around five or six,” Melissa said.

“Maybe you want a glass of water instead,” Angela asked.

Melissa gave her friend a look as she took her drink from the bartender and thanked him.

“How are you today, with everything that’s going on,” Angela asked.

“Fine,” Melissa answered quickly.

Angela gave her a skeptical look, “Well I’m here when you need me.”

Melissa nodded as she emptied yet another glass. She looked up when she heard the door open and saw Matt come in. “Are you ladies ok up here,” he asked joining them on the ottoman in front of them.

“Wonderful, I forgot just how good these martinis are,” Melissa said her words a little slurred.

“Well thank you. But I just came up to see if you two were ready to go. Desiree just called and asked me to get something for her from the store, you don’t wanna know what. But while I’m out I pass Jon’s and I could give a ride home.”

“What time is it,” Angela asked.

“A little after ten,” he answered.

“Melissa we should be going, we have to get up early in the morning,” Angela said turning to her.

“But,” she started waving her glass.

“The bar will be here. You were up early and it looks like you’ve had a long day,” he said taking the glass from her hand calling for the bartender.

“How much do we owe you for the drinks,” Angela asked when the bartender came over.

“Don’t even think about it,” Matt said when she reached for her purse. “I’m sure Jon took care of everything.”

“But he left a couple hours ago,” she insisted.

“You think my brother pays? He just leaves a nice tip. Put your money away,” Matt said sending away the bartender.

“Are you sure,” Angela asked.

“Positive, come on lets get outta here,” Matt said standing.

Angela and Melissa stood after him and Melissa swayed on her feet. When she started to walk she stumbled into Matt who caught her before she fell. “Lemme take you out the back way, that’s where my truck’s parked anyway,” he said guiding them through the staff door.

He held onto her down the stairs and led them out the back door where his truck was waiting for them. He helped Melissa into the front before he shut Angela’s door and climbed into the driver’s seat. Matt and Angela made small talk on the short ride home as Melissa drifted in and out of sleep. When they pulled in the driveway Matt stopped in front of the front door and turned the car off. Angela climbed out of the back seat and opened Melissa’s door to wake her. Melissa woke in a daze and Matt helped her inside using his key. They stopped in the foyer to dump their bags and shoes before Angela turned to Matt.

“Thanks for dinner and everything tonight,” she said smiling.

“No trouble at all. You’re both welcome anytime,” he said.

“I’ve got it from here, thanks for driving us home,” she said holding Melissa steady on her feet.

“Don’t be silly I know my brother’s probably in bed and I’m here already. I can help you up the stairs,” Matt said.

“Don’t talk about me like I’m not here,” Melissa grumbled.

“Come on let’s get up to bed,” Angela said turning to her friend.

Matt walked behind them and balanced Melissa when she started to sway on the stairs and left them outside Jon’s room before he left. Angela opened the door slowly to see Jon asleep in bed with a few lights left on for her. Angela saw a note left on the bed. Melissa, If I fall asleep help yourself to whatever you need. Hope you and Ang had fun tonight. I love you and I’ll see you in the morning. Jon

Angela helped Melissa into the bathroom and made sure she was changed and in bed before she left. “Hey Angela,” Melissa said.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks,” Melissa said sleepily.

“Of course. I’ll see you in the morning,” Angela said as Jon’s body instinctively moved to cuddle to Melissa before she drifted to sleep.

2 comments:

Nayeli said...

aweeee Jon's just too sweet, Matt is a good guy in this. Now Mel stop drinking yourself stupid and get real with Jon. He needs a woman who's all in with him so be that.

Bayaderra said...

I completely agree with Nayeli-alcohol is NEVER the answer. Talk to Jon, or a psycologist... Hmmmm Angela walked out of Jon's bedroom without a quick phone picture or souviniere???? LOL!