Friday, April 10, 2009

Chapter 54

“Ok so I need to know every detail,” Angela said.

“We don’t have time for every detail, those two out there will die of boredom first,” Melissa said.

“You left them the remote and a laundry list of chores, I think they’re more then occupied as you dish to your best friend about your magical weekend,” Angela said.

“I asked them if they minded its not like I just put them to work,” Melissa said.

“Still you have Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora doing household chores in your apartment. I could just die,” Angela said falling onto the bed.

“I asked them to unpack the dishwasher and feed the cats. It’s not like they’re doing heavy labor. God knows Jon wouldn’t know how,” Melissa said with a laugh from her closet.

“I’d love to know how you know that, but I want all the other details first. You like fell off the face of the earth. I think I only talked to you three times since Friday. Which I can take as a good thing. But I want to know it all,” Angela said.

“Well I’ll fill you in until I’m done changing but you’re gonna have to wait for the rest,” Melissa said searching for something to wear. “What do you want to know?”

“I thought I already told you! Everything,” Angela said.

“You’re gonna have to be more specific,” Melissa said grabbing a handful of hangers from the closet.

“Those are the pants you’re wearing,” Angela asked when Melissa returned.

“I was gonna do laundry this weekend, and they’re clean. Why is something wring with them,” Melissa asked.

“No, you just don’t usually wear them, that’s all. They’re a little sexy, like date night pants,” Angela said.

“Perfect, not exactly the look I was going for,” Melissa said laying shirts over her bed. “You better start asking questions before I figure this out.”

“Ok, ok. Umm, you two look really good and happy so everything’s good there,” Angela asked.

“Better then good Ang. I didn’t know it could get this good. This one,” Melissa asked modeling a shirt.

“Not with those pants. And you guys really talked,” Angela asked.

“Yeah,” Melissa said trying another top.

“Are you ok,” Angela asked trying to read her best friend.

“I am,” she said looking in the mirror.

“And Jon.”

“Well at first I didn’t think he was, but then some stuff happened. But I think he gets it, and he’s ok with that. We’re good now,” Melissa said.

“What do you mean ‘stuff happened,’” Angela asked suspiciously.

“Not now, Angela. How does this look,” Melissa asked turning to look at her.

“You’re good to go,” Angela answered with a smile.

“You sure,” Melissa asked.

“I knew the minute I saw it on the hanger,” Angela said.

“Then why didn’t you tell me and save me some time,” Melissa asked.

“Because I wanted details,” Angela said smiling.

“Come on, we’ve gotta go or we’re gonna be late,” Melissa said.

“Fine, be the responsible adult,” Angela said following her to the hall.

“Are you ladies ready,” Richie called from the couch.

“Yup, we’re good to go,” Melissa said entering the living room.

“You look nice,” Jon said giving her a thorough once over.

“Thank you,” Melissa answered. “Are you guys ready to go?”

“We we’re just waiting for you,” Jon said standing and wrapping his arm around her waist.

“What about you ya bum? You don’t tell me how wonderful I look, you don’t jump up when I walk in the room. I think I’m gonna have to find me a new man,” Angela teased.

“Anything but that. You ain’t getting rid of me,” Richie said jumping to his feet. “You want me to get down on my knees and beg? Please don’t go. You look gorgeous from head to toe. I was overwhelmed by your beauty it clouded my good judgment.”

“That’s better,” Angela teased.

“Come on you two, I don’t wanna be late,” Melissa said grabbing her purse from the table.

“Yes mom,” Angela said.

“Ang do you have your keys out,” Melissa asked.

“I can drive, I don’t mind,” Jon offered.

“It’s alright, Angela will drive she knows where she’s going anyway. Besides you just drove an hour this morning,” Melissa said.

“Got ‘em,” Angela said holding her keys. “We’re outta here.”

“Uh-oh we’re letting her drive. You don’t exactly give off the vibe of a safe and cautious driver,” Richie said holding the door open.

“Why because I’m a woman, or because I’m from Jersey,” Angela asked.

“Both and because you’re Angela,” Richie said with a smile.

“You did not just say that,” Angela said punching him in the arm.

“See you’re impulsive,” Richie said rubbing where she hit him.

“They bicker like an old married couple,” Jon said smiling at Melissa.

“That they do,” Melissa said walking down the stairs and out the front door.

“So how far are we going,” Jon asked following her outside.

“It’s only a couple towns over. Probably no more then 15 minutes,” Melissa said as she turned to see Richie and Angela tumble out of the building still laughing and bickering.

“You’re probably just as bad as I am. I’ve heard stories about you mister,” Angela said as they came into hearing distance.

“I’m beginning to wonder what I did for fun before I knew you,” Richie said laughing.

“Well now you’re stuck with me, so to hell with the past,” Angela said unlocking the car doors.

Jon opened the front passenger door for Melissa before joining Richie in the back seat. Angela pulled out onto the main road as Melissa read the directions. The two men were involved with their blackberries as Melissa directed Angela. Once they hit a long stretch of road Angela looked at Jon in the rearview mirror.

“Hey Jon,” she said.

“Yes, ma’am,” he answered stowing his phone in his pocket.

“I think its safe to say we’re friends, and you and my best friend are quite a hot item, right,” she started.

“Right,” he answered suspiciously.

“And friends ask friends favors,” she said.

“Yeah,” he answered still unsure.

“See now I was wondering since the funeral is down in Seaside tomorrow, which is over two hours from here, if I could stay at your house because its less then an hour from you,” she said a little unsure.

“Hell yes,” Richie chimed in.

“Angela, you can’t ask him that,” Melissa said horrified.

“Why don’t you two let me be the judge of that,” Jon started as Richie started a chorus of ‘say yes, say yes’ in his ear. “I would love to have you for the night.”

Richie let out a relieved cheer as Melissa turned to look at him. “You don’t have to do that you know, she was more then a little outta line.” Turning to look at her best friend, “I can’t believe you did that and didn’t ask me first.”

“I thought you’d say no, and its two hours from here and we have to be down there early,” Angela said.

“I really don’t mind. The more people in that house the better,” Jon said.

“That’s not an open invitation,” Melissa said as they pulled into the school parking lot.

“Party at Jon’s tonight baby,” Richie said smiling from the back seat as Angela found a parking spot.

They all got out of the car when Angela turn off the engine and Jon caught Melissa’s arm before she passed him. He gave a quick look to Richie who led Angela away before he spoke. “What’s the matter,” he asked gently.

“I’m sorry she shouldn’t have asked you,” Melissa answered.

“Don’t worry about that, I didn’t think twice about it. You’re friends are my friends and my house is your house. At least she had a good reason to stay,” Jon said smiling.

“Are you positive you don’t mind, because I can tell her you changed your mind,” Melissa said.

“Sweetie stop that, I don’t want you to worry about it. Unless it makes you uncomfortable I’m fine with it. And I’m sure you two are gonna wanna catch up,” Jon offered.

“I’m still so sorry,” Melissa said.

“No, I don’t wanna hear that again. It’s more then fine with me. Don’t put a second thought to it,” Jon said.

“You’re positive?”

“One hundred percent. Is there something else bothering you,” Jon asked.

“No, we should get in there before we’re late,” Melissa said.

“You’re sure,” Jon asked.

“Positive,” she answered putting on her best fake smile.

“Then lets go,” Jon said sliding his arm around her waist.

They made their way in the building and followed the signs to the auditorium where a couple hundred parents, students, faculty and friends were gathered. They saw Angela waiting by the door for them.

“We’ve got some seats saved, Richie’s up by them but I think some of the high school girls are fawning over him. Not that I think he minds much,” Angela said.

“It’s gonna start in a couple minutes, I should go try to save him,” Jon said giving Melissa a quick peck on the lips before he left.

“You’re mad at me aren’t you,” Angela asked.

“I just wish you asked me first,” Melissa said.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t think you’d mind,” Angela said.

“And you knew he’d say yes,” Melissa said.

“I was kinda hoping,” Angela said.

“He said it was fine, don’t worry about it. Lets go sit,” Melissa said.

“Lets go find our men,” Angela said brightly.

Angela and Melissa walked up to where Jon and Richie were still talking with a few girls. They quickly left when Melissa and Angela joined them and they found their seats just as the principal took the microphone.

“Hello everyone, thank you for coming today. We are all here to celebrate the life of one of our students, Lindsay Connors. Now I know that her parents wanted to say something but her class has prepared something as well that they would like to share with you,” the principal said before turning the microphone over to the 7th grade homeroom teacher.

Over the next hour most of her classmates read letters they wrote to her family, or stories they wanted to share with the group in remembering and celebrating Lindsay’s life. Collective tears were shed, laughs shared, and memories made as each student spoke. When they were finished her mother, with a surprising amount of composure, spoke to the crowd.

“I just wanted to personally thank everyone for being here this afternoon. The overwhelming amount of love and support we have been receiving during this time has been a comfort to our family. We wanted to thank the school for arranging this today, and I believe there are refreshments in the back, please enjoy.”

Everyone dispersed throughout the room as they visited with one another. They spoke briefly with the family before they left about a half hour later. They stopped back at Melissa and Angela’s homes so they could gather their necessary items for the night before heading back to Jon’s. Jon grabbed their bags and followed Angela down to his car as Melissa closed up her apartment for the night.

“Are you sure you don’t mind, Jon? I mean I did spring it on you,” Angela asked as they walked through the parking lot.

“I don’t mind a bit. That house was so empty for so long, it loves the company,” Jon said brightly.

“Thanks I appreciate it. I really only asked because it’s a bitch of a ride to do alone in the morning,” Angela said as she opened the trunk for him.

“Its no trouble at all, can you just do me a favor later,” Jon asked.

“Name it,” Angela said.

“Can I talk to you for a little,” he asked.

“Course, is everything ok,” she asked.

“I’m just a little worried about Melissa,” Jon said loading the last bag in.

“Is she ok?”

“I’m just a little worried about her and I wanted you’re opinion. You know her better then anyone else,” Jon said.

“Now we can finally go,” Richie called from behind them.

“What’s got you so impatient today,” Melissa asked.

“Just itching to get outta this shirt,” Richie said.

“Don’t stop on our account,” Angela teased.

“Don’t tempt me,” he said as he got into the back seat with Angela.

“Ready to go baby,” Jon asked.

“Oh yeah,” Melissa said with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“The lets hit the road,” he said. I’m gonna fix this for her, I’ve got to, he thought as he squeezed her hand and merged back onto the highway.

3 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Oh my...Jon...you just let another fan into your house!!!! Make sure you check her bags and pockets for souviniers when she is leaving! LOL! And Richie do make your self comfortable...take that shirt off...PLEASE!!!!

Nayeli said...

OK so many emotions, grief, confusion, love, humor all rolled into one chapter - OMG great work girl can you give me another?

Cindy aka Miss Moose said...

She needs to tell Jon everything about how she is feeling. And she needs help with what happened to her. She will not be able to have a good relationship with Jon like this. He is not going to deal with just kissing and holding or going part of the way and stopping for long. He is not a teenager.