Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chapter 57

Melissa woke the next morning with a groan. Her head was pounding, he stomach was uneasy and she had an overwhelming urge to roll over and go back to sleep. God, how much did I have to drink last night, she thought as she opened her eyes a sliver thankful to see a darkened room. She looked next to her in the bed to see Jon had already gotten up then looked around the room to see the only light was coming from the bathroom and what little sunlight was able to sneak through the closed blinds.

Melissa sat up to try to find a clock when she heard Jon enter the room. She got a strong whiff food and let out another groan as she felt her stomach start to rebel against the scent. “No food,” she grumbled as she covered her eyes with her hands to shut out the light.

“Morning,” Jon whispered as he shut the door and brought over a tray of food. “How are you feeling this morning?”

“I feel like crap,” she answered as she glared at the tray of food.

“I kinda figured. You had quite a night last night,” Jon said keeping his voice low and setting the tray of food on the bed.

“Angela?”

“Matt called this morning to give me a heads up, and Angela told me too,” Jon said grabbing nearby pillows and putting them behind her back.

“Why do I feel like I was tattled on,” she said with a hint of aggravation in her voice.

“It wasn’t like that. Matt called this morning to let me know so that I could get the perfect hangover remedy ready for you. And then in the kitchen me and Angela had a battle of which cures the hangover and we ended at a standstill so it looks like you’re gonna get the best of both worlds. Come on, eat,” he said sliding the tray up her lap.

“I’m not hungry,” she said simply.

“Don’t you think that after 25 years me and Richie know how to cure one of these? Eat this, from Angela, drink this, it’s a sure thing just don’t ask what’s in it. Take it in one big shot, and then drink lots of water. Add in a nice shower and you’ll be good as new in no time,” Jon offered handing her a fork.

Melissa looked at him before giving in and dug into the eggs. “Come on there’s enough food for an army, eat with me,” she said gesturing to the eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns in front of her.

Jon climbed onto the bed next to her and they ate in silence until the plate was empty. “Feeling better,” he asked.

“A little,” she said eyeing the mysterious drink in the juice glass. “What is that?”

“If I told you, you wouldn’t drink it and you probably wouldn’t believe me,” he said. “Go on its not that bad. Just take it in one shot and you’ll feel better.”

Melissa held the glass and tried to identify the ingredients before she raised the glass to her mouth and swallowed the concoction. “Jon that was probably the worst thing I’ve ever tasted,” she said trying to get the taste out of her mouth.

“Here,” he said handing her a glass of water. “If it works, don’t ask questions. Finish that water and then go hit the shower.”

“What time is it,” she asked.

“A little after nine we’re gonna be leaving in about an hour,” Jon said as she finished her glass.

“I’ve gotta get going then,” she said getting out of bed.

“I’m gonna take this downstairs, let me know if you need anything,” he said grabbing the empty tray.

She stood next to him and placed the tray back on the bed wrapping her arms around him. He pulled her close and ran his fingers through her hair. “Thank you,” she said as she held on to him.

“You’re welcome. I love you, Mel,” he said kissing her hair.

“I love you too, Jon,” she said leaning up to kiss him. “But I’ve gotta get ready or we’re gonna be late,” she said letting go and walking to the bathroom.

Melissa let the hot water wash over her relieving the last of her ailments and she left the shower feeling 1,000 times better than she did when she woke up. She wrapped a towel around herself and her hair before she sat in front the mirror to quickly do her makeup. When she was satisfied she went back in the bedroom to change before doing her hair. She took out the necessary underwear out of one of Jon’s drawers and laid them on the bed. She heard someone in Jon’s closet and called out for him.

“Melissa is that you,” Richie answered.

“Yeah, I thought you were Jon. What are you doing,” she asked.

“I needed a tie. I hate these things they make me feel so constricted, so I never thought to bring one out here. Jon does all the meetings with the suits so he’s got a bunch. Can you tell me which one of these goes better,” Richie asked coming around the corner.

“Damn Sambora, you clean up nice,” Melissa said looking at him in black dress pants and deep green button down shirt.

“Well thank you, even though I hate dressing up. I bet you don’t look too bad yourself. Which one do you think,” he asked holding two ties, one silver and one blue.

“I wouldn’t go with that one,” she said pointing to the blue one, “but this one may work,” she said holding the silver one against his shirt.

“Thanks, I like to double check,” he said tossing the blue one on the bed.

“Any time, you want me to tie it for you,” she asked.

“Nah I can tie ‘em I just hate wearing ‘em,” he said as he slid it over his neck. “How are you doing today?”

“What do you mean,” she asked warily.

“You seemed a little off yesterday,” he answered.

“It was just a long weekend, that’s all. And I hate funerals, that’s all,” she answered.

“Tell me about it, I hear you there. Am I straight,” he asked tightening his tie.

“A little crooked,” she said adjusting it. “Now you look good to go.”

“Thanks, you’re a life saver,” he said giving her a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll let you finish getting ready. I’ll see you downstairs.”

Once she was left to herself she dressed in what was known as her funeral dress. A simple black dress cut to her knee, cap sleeves and a modest scoop neck, had accompanied her to many funerals over the last few years. She walked back into the bathroom to examine herself in the mirror. She took the towel off of her head and gave it a good shake before deeming it done. She grabbed a clip from the counter and made her way back to the bedroom to put on her shoes before finding Jon.

She walked down to the kitchen where Richie, Jon and Angela were talking around the island. Richie was first to notice her and smiled when he did. “I told you, you clean up good. You look gorgeous,” he said.

Jon and Angela turned to look at her. Angela was in her usual funeral attire, a similar black dress, and Jon was dressed in a suit with a blue tie making his eyes pop more than usual.

“Morning, Mel,” Angela said brightly from the counter.

“Morning,” Melissa said as Jon walked over to her.

“You look great,” he said giving her a quick kiss.

“Thanks, you look nice too. Look I’m sorry about this morning,” she started.

“No worries, that’s just the hangover talking. You feeling better now,” he asked.

“Good as new,” she said smiling.

“Perfect, I bet you’re ready for some coffee. I didn’t bring any up before because it tends to do more harm then good if you have it too soon,” Jon said handing her a mug.

“You’re my hero,” she said taking a sip.

“If we’re all ready to go, we may as well head out. Can’t hurt to be a little early,” Richie said.

“Travel mugs,” Angela offered.

“Please,” Melissa said.

“Lemme help you with that,” Jon said as Angela started opening and closing cabinets.

Once they all had their mugs they headed out for Jon’s truck for the ride down the shore. Melissa tumbled in the back with Richie leaving navigational duties to Angela. She couldn’t bring herself to lead them down the shore. Not today, like this, with all the memories that haunted her there. Today she was determined not to think of the past and focus on the events at hand. Yeah right, she thought as Jon pulled out of the driveway.

2 comments:

Nayeli said...

oh come on you know you wanna give me more - I'm so loving them right now, slowly learning to be together, Richie just walking into Jon's room like he belongs - you nailed it now write more please.

Bayaderra said...

Great chapter Rachel!
Poor Mel, hang over could be a real bitch! Luckily she has such "experienced" care takers! Love how comfortable she is with Richie.
More Rachel!!!!!