Friday, May 15, 2009

Chapter 60

A few hours later Melissa, Jon, Steph, Angela and Richie sat around the kitchen table eating Chinese takeout. The meal was awkward at best with an overwhelming amount of emotions overflowing from the four adults. A certain sense of gloom was present throughout the meal, which was inevitable with what they had endured.

Richie had some extra sadness in his eyes thinking of his father. The overpowering sense of loss hitting him squarely being the first time he came face to face with death since losing his own father. As soon as they came home he went to his room and called his mother and daughter just to tell him that he loved them, one more time.

Melissa controlled her emotions about her past and was looking wholeheartedly to her future. Their future, together. The release that she had on the beach with him put her at ease. Learning to trust him, letting him into her past a little more, seeing how much she meant to him. It was something she needed to do, something they needed to do together. Not being able to completely dismiss the sadness that was so vast just a few hours ago, she tried to focus her mindset on the new hope and happiness she found with Jon.

Jon perhaps was having the hardest time of all. While he felt the same emotions as Richie and Melissa his mind was racing one step further. The sorrow of loss, especially Richie’s dad, and the joy and hope that was brought from talking with Melissa was countered with the thoughts of his own kids. He missed them terribly when he was on the road and always had. But being home and not being able to be with them had been killing him for months. He couldn’t take being away from his boys any longer when the only thing that was stopping him was his ex wife. Life was too short to let petty arguments keep him from his kids. He was tired of missing out on the little things because of old feelings and hostilities. As it was he barely took his eyes off of Steph all night not wanting to miss a single moment.

As they sat in a bit of awkward silence surrounded by a dozen of empty food cartons Angela who seemed to be doing the best with her emotions was the first to speak.

“I don’t want to overstay my welcome. And I’m sure there’s some family stuff that you probably wanna do, so I’ll just help clean this up and then I’m gonna head home,” she said piling her silverware on her plate.

“Don’t worry about that, you’re still a guest. And you don’t have to rush out of here on my account, you’re welcome to stay as long as you want,” Jon said.

“I’ve imposed on you long enough. Besides I think my husband is starting to miss me, and he may even be getting a bit jealous. I have to get up early tomorrow anyway, I should start on my trip home,” she said standing with her plate.

“As long as you don’t think I’m pushing you out,” Jon said.

“Not at all,” Angela said grabbing some empty containers.

“Hey, leave those, Darlin’. Why don’t you go pack up you’re stuff I’ll take care of this for you,” Richie said grabbing her hand.

“You sure,” Angela asked.

“Positive. Go on, you’ve got quite a drive ahead of you,” Richie offered.

“Thanks,” Angela said making her way upstairs as Richie started clearing the table.

“Dad, I know you love me, but you’ve been kinda hovering since you picked me up. Do you mind if I go finish my homework in my bedroom,” Steph asked.

Jon cringed at his daughter’s words. Smothering his daughter was the last of his intentions. “Of course, honey. Just help clear the table first.”

“Fine,” she said with a huff.

“Go on get outta here,” Richie said.

“Thanks Uncle Mookie! You’re the best,” Steph said giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

“You look like you could use some air, go on I’ll clean up the rest of this,” Richie said turning to Jon.

“Thanks, I owe ya’. Come with me,” Jon asked Melissa.

“Course,” she said taking his hand in hers heading for the door.

Once they were outside Jon led them towards the river and down onto his old dock. Jon sat on the edge letting his feet hang over the side and Melissa joined him. Jon slid his hand around her as he watched the surprisingly calm water.

“Blue, I don’t want to leave tonight,” Melissa said leaning her head on his shoulder.

“Then don’t. Stay here,” he said.

“I can’t, I have to get back to work tomorrow. I just don’t want to leave you, and this place, everything that’s happened these last couple of days. I’m not ready to go just yet,” she said.

“Then stay the night with me,” he said.

“I can’t I’ve gotta go back with Angela,” she said a hint of sadness in her voice.

“Why?”

“Because we only have one car, for one,” she said.

“I’ll drive you to work in the morning. As soon as I drop off Steph I’ll drive you,” he offered.

“Jon, I want to but I’m sure you want to spend some time with Steph,” she said.

“Don’t fight me on this, we both want you here. Please give me one more night,” he asked.

“You sure you don’t mind driving me,” she said.

“Not if it gives me one more night with you,” he said smiling.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Anything for my, Angel,” he said giving her a kiss.

Melissa pulled away when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. “Its Angela,” she said looking at him.

“Go on,” Jon said backing up a little as his hand brushed through her hair.

“Hey, what’s up,” Melissa asked.

“Hey, sweetie. I’m ready to go, Richie said you guys went outside but I didn’t see you on the porch. You ready,” Angela asked.

“We’re all the way down on the river. I’m staying here tonight so you’re going back on your own if you don’t mind,” Melissa said.

“We kinda figured you’d stay another night,” Angela said brightly. “You deserve a happy ending to today.”

“Thanks, you really don’t mind,” Melissa asked.

“At the end of the day he’s still Jon Bon Jovi and I’m not gonna keep you outta his bed,” Angela teased. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Wait, we’ll come up and say goodbye,” Melissa said.

“You don’t have to, Richie can see me out,” Angela offered.

“Don’t be silly we’re on our way,” Melissa said.

“Kay, bye,” Angela said hanging up.

“Come on, Angela’s on her way out so she can get home at a decent hour. Lets go say goodbye,” Melissa said getting to her feet.

“Lead the way,” he said following her back to the house.

They found Angela and Richie talking in the foyer when they arrived back in the house. “There’s the happy couple now,” Angela said as they walked into the foyer. “Thanks again for everything.”

“You are more then welcome. Anytime you can justify a trip down here you’re welcome,” Jon teased.

“Gee thanks big guy, but I should really get going,” Angela said.

“Have a safe drive home darlin’,” Richie said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“You too,” she said giving him a big hug.

“Get home safe, and try not to sell anything of mine. I’d prefer not to see my clothes on ebay,” Jon teased.

“You won’t find your black ski cap or your tv guide on ebay,” she said with a smile.

“Angela! Tell me you’re kidding,” Melissa said.

“Ok, I’m kidding,” Angela said giving Jon a wink.

“You’re fantastic,” Jon said giving her a hug.

“Thank you for everything you did this weekend,” Angela whispered in his ear.

Jon gave her a kiss on the cheek, “No need to thank me.”

“I’m not even hugging you, because I’m seeing you in the morning,” Angela said looking at Melissa. “Just promise me you’ll have a good night and take it easy.”

“Deal,” Melissa said. “Call me when you get home.”

“I know the drill,” Angela said grabbing her bag. “Night all,” she said leaving through the front door.

“Can you give me a couple minutes, I wanna go talk to Steph before she goes to bed. She’s probably going soon, its almost nine,” Jon said.

“Go on, I’ll be down here when you’re ready. I think I can entertain myself for a while,” Melissa said giving him a kiss.

“Thanks, babe,” Jon said heading up the stairs.

“Can I offer you a drink, or were you on your way up too,” Melissa asked Richie.

“I can have a glass of wine before I go up,” Richie said putting his arm over her shoulder leading her back to the kitchen.

Richie poured them each a glass of wine and they settled onto the barstools at the counter. They sat and Richie talked about Ava for a few minutes until their glasses were empty.

“Ok, I should get to bed. I wont see you in the morning before I leave, so I’ll say goodbye now,” Richie said standing.

“Goodbye? Are you going back to Philly,” Melissa asked.

“In everything that went on, I must’ve forgotten to tell you. I’m leaving in the morning, I’m goin’ back to California. I’ve got Ava for a couple weeks at least until Thanksgiving. We haven’t talked about the details yet. But this is it for me, for a while at least,” Richie said.

Melissa felt like she had the wind knocked out of her. “You’re really going?”

“Hey don’t look so sad, you know I’m always only a phone call away,” Richie said.

“I know, I guess I just got so used to you being here the last month or so. You’ve been such a good friend to me, I’m gonna miss you,” Melissa said.

“I’m gonna miss you too,” Richie said pulling her into a hug. “I mean it, anytime you need me, I’m just a phone call away.”

“Thanks,” she said smiling.

“You got it,” Richie said as they headed for the stairs.

“What time is you’re flight in the morning, Jon’s giving me a ride early,” she asked.

“My flight’s at 6:20 or something like that. So I’ll be outta here by like 4:30, I don’t know what I was thinking when I booked that one,” he said laughing.

“Probably that you wanted to make sure you’d be home early enough to see Ava,” she offered.

“Pretty and smart too,” he teased.

“Damn right, Sambora,” she said with a smile.

“I’m gonna miss you a lot,” he said.

“Me too, have a safe trip. Lemme know when you get home safe and sound,” she asked.

“Of course,” he said giving her one last hug before going upstairs.

Melissa stood in the foyer when she heard footsteps coming down the hall. She smiled when she saw Jon at the top of the stairs. “You look happy to see me,” he said as he came down the stairs.

“That’s because I am,” she said. “Everything ok with Steph.”

“Yeah, its fine. Can I talk to you,” he asked.

“Something on your mind,” she asked.

“Yeah.”

“Ok, I’ve got time,” she said.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Soooo, what's on your mind Jon??? Sounds serious! Loved the friendly atmosphere at dinner. And Richie flying THAT early in AM????? It's gonna snow tonight!
Great chapter Rachel! More!

Nayeli said...

yeah Jonny do tell me what's on that wonderful mind of yours? I love that Melissa isn't holding all the cards anymore, they seem pretty equal right now -

May I have more please Rachel?