Thursday, September 4, 2008

chapter 12

Melissa and Angela waited outside the hospital Tuesday night waiting for Tommy to pick them up for their trip down the shore. It was now a little after 8 o’clock and the girls had been at work since 11 that morning trying to get as much work in before they left as possible. Angela had had enough waiting and dug out her cell phone, to find out where her husband was. Melissa guided her friend over to a nearby bench and put their bags down.


“Tommy, where are you? It’s late and we wanna get on the road so we don’t have to deal with traffic…Don’t give me that I don’t care that its late, if there is traffic I want to start sitting in it now rather than later…Just tell me where you are and so help me if you’re still home…No I’m not hanging up until I see your headlights…I’m waiting, I don’t care if you’re 10 minutes away. Mel he’s like 5 minutes away, he got out of the restaurant later than he wanted to.”


“Ang no biggie, we’ll be here when he gets here. We’re totally making plans in the car right?” Melissa asked.


“Absolutely! What Tommy, ok we’re at the main entrance and we’ve got our bags…Yes we need those bags too, these were just to change out of our work stuff. Ok, I see your headlights, bye,” Angela said grabbing her bag.


Melissa stood and grabbed her bag and walked to the curb to wait for Tommy. As the familiar sight of Tommy and Angela’s truck came closer, she heard her phone ringing in her purse, Until I'm 6 feet under, Baby I don't need a bed, Gonna live while I'm alive, I'll sleep when I'm dead, Till they roll me over, And lay my bones to rest, Gonna live while I'm alive, I'll sleep when I'm dead…


“Mel are you gonna get that?” Angela said trying to load her bag into the crammed trunk.


“Nah, it’s just a text and I’m not about to go digging around with all this stuff, I’ll get it later,” Melissa said gesturing to her purse, overnight bag, and her Bon Jovi messenger bag with some work stuff in it.


She walked over to the back of the truck and saw the mess that Angela was dealing with. Tommy had to pack four duffels, a garment bag with the dress in it, a mini cooler and some collapsible chairs. Instead the trunk looked like it had twice as much stuff in it. “Tommy you had one job, pack the car. If we weren’t late already I’d repack it now. I guess this is going in the front seat.” Angela said grabbing her stuff and walking to the passenger seat door.


“What do you mean the front seat Ang?” Tommy asked.


“I mean that I’m sitting in the back with Melissa so we can have girl talk, so that leaves the front seat open for our bags, because you couldn’t pack the car right.” Angela said putting her stuff on the seat and taking Melissa’s stuff to put on the car floor.


“I know better than to argue with you two,” Tommy said shutting the trunk then making his way to the driver seat, as the two women took their seats in the back.


Melissa leaned into the front seat to give Tommy a kiss on the cheek. “Tommy you know you’re the greatest right, for sharing your wife with me, even thought technically she was mine first. Do you know your way, or do one of us have to give you directions once we get close?”


“Nope I think I’ve got it. We came down here last summer, I’m pretty sure I know the way,” Tommy said pulling the car out of the parking lot.


“Sounds good, now I know I’ve asked probably a dozen times, but whose house are we staying at again?” Melissa asked.


“It’s my brother-in-law’s company’s house for the summer, and my sister didn’t use their full two weeks so she let us go down for their last couple of days,” Tommy answered merging onto the highway.


“Ok, and thanks for bringing me along,” Melissa said.


“Not to mention that it’s a couple blocks from Richie’s place!” Angela said with a smile.


“Do I want to know how you know that?” Melissa asked laughing.


“When I talked to Richie on Sunday, we switched addresses, should we need them for any reason, while you two are out.” Angela said very satisfied with herself.


“You’re bad, you know that?” Melissa said as her phone beeped to remind her of her missed text message. Melissa took her phone from her purse and squealed when she saw it was from Jon.


“What, who is it?” Angela asked peering over at the phone.


Melissa quickly opened her phone to the simple message. Hey Melissa I’m looking forward to tomorrow night...can’t wait to see you…Jon Melissa smiled and passed the phone to her friend.


“Aww I can’t believe it, that’s so sweet! Are you gonna answer him?” Angela asked.


“What do I say?” Melissa thought a minute and began to type.


Im looking 4ward 2 it 2…enjoy the sunny beach…see you around 6 Mel


“How’s that?”


“Perfect, send it baby!” Angela asked and Melissa quickly complied.


As quickly as Melissa sent her own message Angela’s phone rang with a text of her own. And Angela gasped as she read it. Melissa looked over to read it and saw it was from Richie.


Angie babe, hope all is well, haven’t heard from you in a couple of days…wanna make sure my stalker is alive and well…between me & u Jons really looking forward to tomorrow…


“Oh my god how much have you been talking? He’s checking up on you now? I wonder if they’re together,” Melissa said.


“Just a couple times, and I wouldn’t put it past them but that isn’t gonna stop me from responding.” Angela said and set to work on her response.


“Do I even want to know?” Tommy asked.


“Probably not,” Melissa said as her phone rang again. His response was short and sweet. See you then Melissa showed the response to Angela.


“You know I feel really young because they use a bunch of punctuation, and capitals and spell everything out. Too cute!”


“I know right? How’s this look?” Angela said showing Melissa her phone.


Richie my lover…all is good didnt want to come on 2 strong at first…wait till I get my hands on you…oh n Mels happy 2 but theyre boooooring lets talk about u and me that’s the hotttt stuff


“God are you sending that?” Melissa asked as she watched her friend hit send. “You’re too much.”


“I know, I just wanna see what sort of response I’m gonna get,” Angela said with a smirk.


“You’re so bad sometimes. Anyway what’s the big plan for tomorrow?”


“I’m thinking sleep in, because you’re gonna have a late, hopefully active night ahead of you. And then we’ll hit the beach for a while down by Richie’s to see if Jon can get a look at you in that new bathing suit from June. Then we should be back to the house no later than 4. That’s a pretty full day. And then after you get whisked away me and Tommy are watching Princess Bride, because he loves m-.” Angela’s phone rang again.


“Let me see!” Melissa said taking the phone from Angela. You name the time and the place and I’ll be there…kisses and much more…your lover


Melissa’s mouth dropped, as Angela sent on her response. Right here…right now…im all urs…


“You two better get a room, or put the phone on vibrate before Tommy knows how much is going back and forth,” Melissa whispered.


“Hey, I heard my name leave me outta this. I’m just your driver for the night,” Tommy said from the front seat.


“Tommy, trust me you absolutely don’t want to know.” Melissa said trying to suppress her laughing. Before the words were out of her mouth Angela’s phone rang again and she started to giggle and turn beat red. “Do I even want to know?” Melissa asked as Angela shoved her phone into her hand.


********


Jon pulled into his friend’s familiar driveway, and he could hear the waves in the distance. As he grabbed his bags out of the car his cell phone vibrated with a new text message. Hoping it was Melissa he quickly took his phone from his pocket, to find a text from his daughter.


Thx again 4 din…it was gr8 2 get out…have fun w uncle R…tell him i said hi…luv u lots…cant w8 till thurs :-* <3>


Jon tried, and failed, to respond quickly. He hadn’t fully accomplished all the ins and outs of texting, but his daughter had taught him the basics. And still made fun of him for his grammar, capitalization and of course his speed, or lack there of. I love you too Stephie, can’t wait for Thursday…Dad


Jon felt a wave of guilt come back over him for leaving her home. Before he had left he had taken his daughter out to dinner. She had called him almost everyday since Friday, and Jon assumed it was because she just needed someone to talk to. Though she wouldn’t come out and say it, it sounded to him as though she had become a prisoner in her own home. Her mother wouldn’t speak more than what was absolutely necessary. And her brothers were jealous and not speaking to her either. She rarely left her bedroom outside of meals, and was tired of sleeping at her friend’s houses. He took her out to dinner for some conversation and a non-hostile meal. When he had told her he was thinking about not going down the shore, she didn’t want to hear it insisting she would be fine for a few more days.


These couple of days better be worth leaving my daughter in hell, Jon thought and then scolded himself at the expectations he was setting. In theory nothing was worth leaving his daughter, especially now. He grabbed his stuff and made his way to the door. If anyone can make this worth it, Richie can, Jon thought ringing the doorbell.


Richie came to the door beer in hand, “Glad to see you made it down man.”


“Yeah, I’m here, now tell me it’s not a stupid thing to do.” Jon said putting his stuff down and following Richie into the living room.


“It’s not stupid its brilliant,” Richie said taking a seat on the couch. “Can I get you something to drink?”


“Nah I don’t think I’ll last too long.” Jon said yawning as Richie’s phone rang on the coffee table, and he laughed as he picked it up and read the message.


“God this is too much,” he said responding.


“What are you doing man? Is that Ava?” Jon asked.


“God no! I’ve been flirting for like an hour.”


“With who? Anybody I know?” Jon asked intrigued.


“That girl Angela, Melissa’s friend. She’s fantastic.” Richie said as his phone rang again. “Here take a look at this,” he said handing Jon the phone.


Jon took the phone and saw a picture of Melissa and another woman he assumed to be Angela. “Do I want to know why you got this?”


“I told her I didn’t want her chickening out on me because we’ve been making steamy plans, so she said she’d send me a picture from the car. And she did,” Richie said already deep into his response.


“I thought she was married?”


“She is, but she doesn’t seem to mind.”


“I think I’m too old for this, I’m heading to bed.”


“Night man, the green room’s all ready for you. Alexis worked on it this afternoon.” Richie said not looking up from his phone.


“Thanks, and don’t get yourself into too much trouble.”


“I’ll try, I always do!” Richie said laughing at his latest response.


Jon grabbed his bags from the hall and made his way up to bed. I really hope I don’t regret this, he thought before making his way into bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great chapter!! It left me wishing Ang was single as she'd be perfect for Richie.

Can't wait for more!!