Friday, September 19, 2008

Chapter 15

Melissa stopped and looked into his blue eyes, almost in disbelief of what she had heard. “You know that may be the sweetest thing anyone has said to me in a very, very long time.” She was nearly beaming and took his hand.




Jon smiled pleased with her reaction and gave her hand a squeeze. “Let’s keep going were almost at our destination.”



“But the restaurant is back that way. What do you have up your sleeve?”


“That’s for me to know and you to find out.”


“You know, I didn’t know what to expect tonight, but I have to tell you that you have absolutely exceeded all of my expectations,” Melissa said with a smile.


“Oh, really?” Jon asked intrigued.


“Yeah, I mean you have been nothing short of a perfect gentleman and a wonderful date.”


“Well thank you very mu-“ Jon was cut off as his phone rang in his pocket. He let go of her hand and checked the number, and saw it was his daughter. Of all times. Talk about my two worlds colliding. “I’m sorry I have to take this it’s my daughter, do you mind?”


“Not at all, I’ll give you some space,” Melissa said and walked down by the water, letting her feet get wet by the waves. The cool water, gave her a reassuring jolt to assure her this was not a dream, and in seconds she was lost in her thoughts.


Jon took a breath, afraid of what he was about to hear and answered the phone. “Hi, Steph.”


“Hi, Dad. I tried calling you at the house, but you didn’t answer. You’re not busy with Uncle Richie are you?” Her voice a little timid on the other end of the phone.


“I didn’t know you had the number down the shore. And you know I’m never too busy for you,” Jon answered and turned to the water. He watched Melissa in the water; her silhouette in the moonlight accentuated each of her beautiful curves.


“Dad are you sure I’m not bothering you?”


“No Steph I’m sure. What’s up?” Jon turned away from the water to keep his mind from wandering to Melissa.


“I just wanted to call and say hi, because I miss you. And I wanted to see if you knew what time you were gonna be back tomorrow so I can be ready. All my stuff is packed already, but just so I have an idea.”


“I miss you too, Stephie. I don’t know what time we’re gonna head back. I think we’re gonna stay here for lunch but leave shortly after that. I should be back up to get you and your stuff late afternoon. Sound good?” Jon asked, trying not to let the guilt get to him.


“Yup that sounds good.” Steph said, her voice picked up a little when he told her he had a plan.


“And Steph I really do appreciate you staying with your mom tonight. I know it hasn’t been easy, but I know it means a lot to her and your brothers that you stayed the night.”


“Dad, I don’t think-“


“Steph, I think I’ve known your mom a little longer. She loves you; she’s just going though something right now, not that that’s an excuse. And tomorrow will be the be the beginning of a new chapter. It’s gonna be ok, baby.”


“Whatever you say Dad,” she said her voice still tentative.


“Hey, Steph I was talking to a friend of mine and they mentioned this soap opera this in Disney World. I forget the name of it. But if you get me some information, why don’t we look into going?” Jon said desperate to hear his daughter’s voice come alive.


“Really Dad?” She said in a near squeal.


“Absolutely, if that’s what you want. Why don’t you look into it tonight, that’ll give you something to distract yourself,” Jon said pleased with the change in his daughter’s tone.


“Dad, you’re the best! I’m gonna look right now. I’ll talk to you in the morning Dad. I love you.”


“I love you too Steph,” he said and promptly heard the click of her phone.


That could’ve gone a lot worse. Now I just have to focus on having a good night, there’s nothing I can do for her tonight. He turned and looked to Melissa, who was dancing and twirling in the sand. She is absolutely beautiful; it takes an amazing woman to look that good in a dress and in a bikini. God did she look good this afternoon. And I love how comfortable I feel with her; this is one thing that I can’t screw up. He smiled and walked down to meet her.


“I’m sorry about that, but it looks like you’ve been keeping yourself entertained,” Jon said as he got closer.


“No problem, its nice to see how important your kids are. Everything is ok I hope,” Melissa said genuinely concerned.


“Oh, everything’s fine. Steph was just calling to say goodnight.”


“That’s nice. So you said we were almost at our destination before the phone rang,” she said, her curiosity getting the best of her.


“You see that house up there?” Jon asked pointing to a house a couple of houses down the beach.


“The white one? It’s beautiful, it looks familiar,” Melissa said trying to remember where she had seen it.


“It should look familiar it was the house you were camped out in front of all afternoon.” She blushed when he mentioned her stakeout. “It’s Richie’s house. It’s still pretty early, its not even 10 o’clock yet. I don’t think either one of us will hear the end of it, if I bring you back this early. Richie’s out checking out the local bands at a couple of bars tonight, so we’ve got the house to ourselves. If you were interested in a movie or something, or I could take one of his cars and give you a ride back to your house. The choice is yours,” Jon said trying to read her reaction to each offer.


Melissa stood and thought each option before deciding. “Angela probably wouldn’t let me in the house if you tried to drop me off this early, so a movie it is.” He asked if he could hold my hand, it doesn’t get much slower than that. This is no problem, and like Angela said it’s a once in a lifetime thing. Might as well milk it for all I can.


“If your sure, lets get going before it gets too chilly out here,” Jon said smiling as the wind picked up. Maybe I’m not too far out of the whole dating loop.


Melissa took his hand again and gave it a little squeeze, “Lead the way.”


Jon led her up the beach towards Richie’s house. “You know I really missed the beach this summer. I think this is the first time I spent a night down here.”


“I missed it too. I’ve been busy at work, and so have Tommy and Angela. We did take a couple day trips, but there’s nothing like waking up to the sound of the waves. There’s something so peaceful about that.”


“That is true. In all the traveling I’ve done, to me there’s still no better vacation than the beach. And there’s no beach better than the Jersey shore. It’s this one,” Jon said starting up on the stairs to the porch.


“This is like déjà vu, being back here so soon,” Melissa said following Jon up the stairs. “It’s a fantastic view he has.”


“The two of you were very entertaining this afternoon. And I’m not afraid to admit that we sat right up here and watched,” Jon said gesturing to the chairs on the deck, and dropping his shoes.


“We weren’t that bad. We just laid out right in front of you, and when your song came on the radio we may have done a little dancing,” Melissa said shaking her head at her own behavior. “But we were a little disappointed not to see you down on the beach. Now I know next time all we have to do is look up.”


“Or you could always knock on the door. Let me see if I can find the key,” Jon said looking through his keys for the right one. “I swear I don’t know what most of these are for, I don’t even know why I have one to this house.” Jon said trying a couple of keys unsuccessfully.


Melissa leaned against the railing and watched him try a couple of keys. She loved watching him; it wasn’t a bad sight to study. Even through his shirt she could see the definition of his muscles in his chest and arms. As she watched him with the keys, the wind started to pick up to a gusty breeze. She didn’t realize how much skin was showing between her arms and her legs until she started to feel cold. Part of her wanted him to take her in his arms to keep her warm, while the other part warned her to keep her distance. Deciding to side with the later she walked over to the door and said, “Jon, it’s starting to get chilly out, you almost got that door?”


Jon looked at her, feeling foolish for not being able to unlock the simple door. When he saw her arms, he noticed some goose bumps. “I’m sorry, you think I’d be able to open a door. I know which one is for the front door, why don’t we walk around?”


“Wait did you try that one yet?” She asked pointing to the only brass key.


“No, but I can,” he tried the door and it opened. “How did you know that? Have you been stalking so you know which key is which?” Jon joked opening the door and allowing her to pass in front of him.


“No silly. It was the only brass key and the lock was brass,” Melissa said as she found herself in a beautiful kitchen. It was decorated with charming knickknacks, and pictures of food on the walls. “This is beautiful. I would have picked some other decorations for Richie though. This doesn’t exactly scream rocker.”


“Oh that’s because he didn’t decorate it. His mom lives here except during the summer. She’s lived in Jersey all her life, but she can’t stand the heat in the summer, so she stays with her niece somewhere out west I think. Which is perfect because then us boys can use the house while she’s gone.”


“That would definitely explain things,” Melissa said and noticed a pair of black sweatpants on one of the kitchen chairs. “Are these Richie’s?” she asked gesturing to the pants.


“I think so, they’re not mine. He was wearing them before I think,” Jon said, “How did you know they were his and not mine?”


“I dunno, they just looked more like him, than you. Do you think he’ll mind if I borrow them for a little bit, to warm up? I promise I wont steal them or anything.”


“Nah, he’ll never notice. If you want something clean you can raid the two bedrooms, and see what you can find,” Jon offered walking towards the refrigerator.


“Nope, these are just fine,” Melissa said picking up the pants. “Do you mind if I slip them on quick?”


“Not at all, there’s a bathroom down the hall on the left. You ready for some dessert, I can see what Richie’s got in the fridge.”


“Dessert sounds good, I’ll only be a minute,” Melissa said and walked down the hall.


She found the bathroom and shut the door behind her. She looked around at the light pink wallpaper, and pink hand towels. Definitely not what she expected. She opened her purse and found her lipstick to reapply, and her cell phone. She sent a quick text to Angela’s phone; pinch me i must be dreaming…i can confirm that we def were in front of richies house this afternoon… then quickly returned the phone to her purse. She slipped on the sweats, and rolled the waist a couple of times so she wasn’t tripping over them. She looked at herself in the mirror and laughed at the bulge at her waist where the pants were. She grabbed her purse and shoes, and returned to the kitchen. She found Jon with his head in the refrigerator.


“How do I look?” She teased putting her purse and shoes on a barstool.


“Just wonderful, the whole outfit just wasn’t complete without the pants. Put those shoes back on and we’ve got ourselves a true fashionista,” he said with a laugh.


“Oh, Mr. Bon Jovi, your too kind. But I must say if I wasn’t frozen on the porch the pants wouldn’t be necessary,” Melissa said taking a seat on the barstool next to her stuff.


“Touché. We have some fresh berries and some stuff for sundaes, which do you prefer?” Jon said returning to the refrigerator.


“The berries, I don’t think I could eat a whole sundae. Fresh fruit, you two never cease to amaze me!” Melissa said grabbing her bag.


Jon pulled a big bowl of freshly cut berries and walked to the doorway. “Now what fun would we be, if you had it all figured out? To the living room?”


“Sounds good,” Melissa said following him down a hall, through the foyer into the living room with a few large couches. “This place is beautiful.”


“I’d say thanks, but it’s not my house. Shall we see what’s on TV, or go for a movie?”


“A movie, mind if I pick?”


“Not at all, what did u have in mind?”


“Well I was thinking of a certain movie from the 80’s, with a giant, a prince, a Spaniard, a mysterious masked man and Billy Crystal. I’m gonna go put my stuff in the foyer I’ll be right back,” Melissa said turning to the hall.


Jon thought a second, and then called out after her, “As you wish.”


She smiled as she walked down the hall and left her purse on a small table and her shoes by the door. When she returned to Jon he already had “The Princess Bride” in the DVD player and was waiting for her on the couch with one arm over the back.


“You weren’t kidding when you said you didn’t mind chick flicks were you? That’s fantastic,” she said taking a seat next to him.


“I don’t lie darling. And this is more comedic genius,” He said pushing play.


Melissa sat close to him, but far enough away to give herself some space. She curled her legs up next to her and reached for the bowl on the coffee table. “Mmm, these berries are wonderful,” she said biting into a blackberry.


“That you’re gonna have to credit Alexis with. Both of us are pretty clueless in the grocery store.”


“Alexis? I didn’t think he was dating anyone,” Melissa started, but quickly added, “I’m sorry that is absolutely none of my business. I don’t want to sound nosey or anyth-“


“Stop, don’t worry about it, its not a big deal. He is single, for the record, and he seems to have an eye on your very married friend. Alexis is his personal assistant. Now changing the subject before we end up talking about my friend all night. Why did you pick this movie? Is it your favorite?” Jon asked grabbing a couple of berries from the bowl in her lap.


“Not my favorite movie, I doubt you’d have my favorite. I may even be willing to put money on that. Though I am quite surprised to see one of you has this movie.”


“Hey there is nothing wrong with this movie. I think Richie raised Ava on it so he could say it was her movie, but its classic. You were saying.”


“I was saying that while it’s not my favorite, it’s definitely in the top five. I’ve loved it since it first came out I was like six or seven. I wore out so many tapes of it I lost count around four. And I’ve been craving it since Angela mentioned it yesterday,” Melissa said reaching for a strawberry.


“If this isn’t your favorite what is?”


“You really wanna know,” she asked and he nodded curiously, “Well only since you asked. Titanic. I can’t help it I was 17 when it came out, and I couldn’t think of anything more romantic, except maybe for all the dying. But still, you can’t blame a girl, and I only found out about the whole back story with Tico and him a couple years ago.” She felt a little uncomfortable bringing up a failed relationship of one of his friends and band mates on a first date. In the 1990’s while the band was on the road Tico’s wife had an ongoing affair with Leonardo DiCaprio, and rumor had it the band still held a bit of a grudge against the actor.


“You’re right we don’t own that one. Actually, I think my ex did. We got into a big fight around 2000 maybe and she went out and bought a couple copies and left them all over the house. I think the soundtrack too, just because of the history there. She could get pretty spiteful, but why am I talking about her? Yes it is safe to say that no Leo movies would be found in any of our houses.”


“Ooh this is one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie, shh.” Melissa said.


It was the scene where Vizzini and Westley were trying to kill each other and settled on a logic game involving a rare Australian poison. Both Jon and Melissa watched intently and laughed as Vizzini tried to make logic of an unwinable situation. Unconsciously Melissa leaned into Jon and rested her head on his chest. Jon instinctively brought his arm down from across the back of the couch to her shoulders.


They sat there fully content in the movie for a couple of minutes, until Melissa looked at what had happened. She felt trapped in his arms, and much too close for comfort. She tried to talk herself down. Melissa, this is Jon, who has been nothing but a perfect gentleman to you all night. Mel, you’re just watching a movie. Damn it Melissa, calm down, and just breathe. As hard as she tried, she felt a familiar feeling in her chest start to tighten, and her breathing became quicker.


Jon heard Melissa breathing heavy and looked down at the woman in his arms. He saw a panicked look on her face, and fear in her eyes. “Melissa, what’s wrong? Are you ok?” Jon asked concerned at the sudden change in her demeanor.


“Yeah, I’m ok,” Melissa lied. I have to get out of here. “I just need to, umm, use the restroom. Will you excuse me for a second?” Melissa said this nearly throwing his arm off of her and jumping to her feet.


“Are you sure you’re ok?” He asked not sure to believe her.


“Absolutely, I’ll only be a minute,” she said heading for the hall.


“Do you want me to wait for you?”


“No, keep watching. I’ll only be a minute.” Melissa said and left in almost a run.


She stopped in the hall for her phone and headed straight for the bathroom. She sat on the floor, trying not to cry and clear her head. I can’t do this, I’m done. She shook her head in disgust with herself. One night Melissa, you couldn’t keep your head straight for one night? Before she knew it the phone in her hand was ringing. She had dialed without thinking; she didn’t even know what number she called.


“Mel?” The voice on the other end asked.


“God Tommy is that you?” Melissa asked in a panic.


“Yeah Melissa. You did call me. What’s the matter, are you ok?” Tommy asked hearing the level of distress in her voice.


“Tommy, I need you to come get me. Right now, Tommy. I have to get out of here.” Melissa begged, still fighting to hold back her tears.


“Melissa, you have to talk to me. What’s going on? What happened?”


Melissa could hear Angela asking questions next to him. “Tommy please, if you trust my judgment even a little, will you please come pick me up. I’m at Richie’s house. It’s white, between a blue one and a tan one. Angela has the address. I’ll be waiting.” Melissa said and hung up the phone.


She looked at herself in the mirror, and wiped away a stray tear. “Hold it together just a little longer Melissa.”


She came out of the bathroom and stopped in the kitchen for a glass of water. Anything to calm her down at the moment. She took her glass and walked slowly back to the living room where Jon was waiting. She dropped her phone in her purse, and was surprised to see Jon in the hallway.


“I told you that you didn’t have to wait.” Melissa said. “Come on let’s get back.”


“I just came to see if you were ok. You were gone a little while.” Jon said, seeing the look of hurt and shame in her eyes.


“Oh I’m fine. I just needed something to drink. Back to Buttercup and Westley?” Melissa said and walked towards the living room.


“Sure.” He followed her back into the living room and resumed his same spot on the couch. Melissa however sat a foot or so away from him on the edge of the cushion. He pressed play, and watched her nervously sip her water.


After a minute or so, Jon heard the doorbell ring. Melissa jumped off the couch and headed for the foyer. “That must be Tommy. He worries when I’m out late,” she lied.


Jon followed her to the foyer and watched her put on her shoes and grab her purse. He saw tears start to flow down her cheeks. “Thank you for a wonderful evening.” Melissa said as she tried to force a smile and opened the door. As she hoped Tommy was on the other side waiting. She walked right past him to the car and waited by the car door.


Jon stood at the door in disbelief of what was happening. Tommy said a quick goodnight before heading down the walk to his car. What the hell just happened? Jon thought, How did everything go from perfect to disaster in less than 10 minutes? He walked in a confused daze to the kitchen where he found a bottle of wine in the refrigerator and poured himself a glass.


Tommy walked towards Melissa. “Tommy I’m so sorry to ruin your evening, I just-” She couldn’t get out any more words between sobs. She was shivering in the wind, and shaking from crying. He walked towards her and she collapsed in his arms. “Can you just take me home, I don’t wanna talk about it.”


“Mel, can you tell me what happened?” Tommy asked rubbing her back to calm her down.


“Please just take me home,” Melissa said. Tommy walked her to the passenger door and she sat inside in a daze. Tommy got in the driver seat and started the car. As if on cue Bon Jovi came out on the speakers. Melissa couldn’t make out what song it was, all she knew was that it was icing on the cake. She reached over and turned the radio off so the could drive in silence. Tommy pulled the car out of the driveway and as they turned out a car turned in behind them. Melissa didn’t care that it was probably Richie Sambora; all she wanted was to go home, get in bed and pray that this was all a nightmare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - it was such a great evening. What the hell happened to Melissa at the end!! Great chapters. Hopefully we'll find out what's going on with Mel.

Bayaderra said...

OK, so Melissa comes with some baggage.... Who hurt her so badly?
Hmmmm, can Jon fix it?
More chapters please!!!
(and the address of that beach house please)