Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chapter 17

Richie opened the door and smiled at the two women. “Well, well, well. Ladies, it’s nice to finally meet you. Richie,” he said extending his hand. Melissa shook his hand tentatively, the fan part of her slightly in awe.


Angela, on the other hand, shook her head when he offered his hand. “Oh no, mister. I think we know each other a little better than that,” she said, giving him a hug.


After a minute Melissa cleared her throat and Angela stepped back giving Melissa an innocent face, mouthing “what?”


“How very rude of me to leave such beautiful women outside on such a chilly morning. If you don’t mind my informal attire, please come in.” He said, allowing them inside as he held the door open. As the women passed they noticed his pajamas and thought nothing of it, given the early hour. “Ooo, Melissa, my pants. I thought they were a lost cause,” he said, taking them from her hands.


“No, I’m sorry about that-“ she started.


“Not at all my dear. I didn’t really miss them overnight. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed that they were missing until I went to look for them. And here I told Jon that you really didn’t want to go out with him at all; all you really wanted to do was steal my pants.” Richie said laughing.


Melissa gave a nervous laugh. “I didn’t get a chance to wash them. Laundry was one thing I didn’t think to do this morning. But I did do plenty of baking. Here are some brownies, cookies, and some cake. All freshly made,” Melissa said, handing him the bag of treats.


“Oh, Melissa you spoil me! First clothes then food,” he leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek.


“Hey, I helped too!” Angela said, giving a fake pout.


“Oh, I haven’t even started with you let, don’t you worry that pretty little head of yours,” he said, giving her a wink. “Melissa, what can I help you with this very early morning or are you just here to give me presents? Either way is perfectly fine with me.”


“I was umm actually wondering if I could talk to Jon, but if he’s not up yet I can come back later,” Melissa said hesitantly.


“Nope, he’s up. I think he went to take a shower. Why don’t you ladies have a seat in the kitchen and I’ll go see if he’s out of the shower yet. Melissa, you remember the way, right down the hall. And why don’t you take these with you. Help yourself to whatever.” Richie said handing Angela the bag of food and walking up the stairs.


Melissa and Angela made their way to the kitchen and waited for their return. Angela looked at everything from dishtowels to what kind of bottled water was in the refrigerator. “Oh Ang, don’t do anything stupid,” Melissa said and waited what seemed like an eternity for Jon to come down.


Richie went upstairs and knocked on the guest bedroom door. “Jon man, are you outta the shower?”


“Yeah, what’s up Rich? Doors open,” Jon called. He was still in a towel, but as always cell phone in hand.


“Is everything ok at home?” Richie asked.


“Yeah fine I was just checking on how things were going at the house, you need something?”


“Well, I was sitting drinking my coffee and the doorbell rang. So I answer the door and two of the most smokin’ women are on my doorstep. This gorgeous Italian, with deep brown eyes, and this blonde with a killer body here to give me my pants back. So I of course invite them in, because who am I to leave two women stranded? They come in and give me a bag of food but then the blonde tells me that she’s just here to talk to you. God man, you get all the good ones. Anyway, I don’t think she was too fond of my theory that she only went out with you to steal my clothes, seeing as she returned my clothes-“


“Wait, Melissa? My Melissa’s here? Or are there just two random women in the kitchen?” Jon said, relieved to hear that she had come back.


“Unless you went out with someone else who stole my clothes. And when did she become my Melissa? God, you’ve got it bad,” Richie said laughing.


“Fuck you, man. What did you tell her?”


“I told her to help herself to anything in the kitchen. Should I have specified she was welcome to the edible things only? And then I told her I’d come see if you were out of the shower yet.”


Jon reached around in his bag and came up with a slightly wrinkled Soul shirt, and a pair of sweats. “Give me two minutes and I’ll be down.” Jon said, putting the shirt on.


Richie left him to dress and Jon lost himself in his thoughts. Why did she come back? I’m glad she did. What is it about her that has me going crazy? He looked at his messy reflection in the mirror and shook out his wet hair leaving it messy to match. He walked down the stairs in a hurry and paused a second in the doorway, just watching her in the kitchen, before he walked in. He saw Richie, the charmer that he is, entertaining them. He couldn’t help but smile when she laughed. Boy do I have it bad.


“Melissa, Angela, good to see you two again. This trouble maker here wasn’t giving you too much trouble, was he?” Jon asked.


“Absolutely not,” Angela said laughing.


Jon walked over to the counter where Melissa sat, out of earshot of where Richie and Angela were talking. “Richie said you were here to see me,” he said smiling.


“Yeah, first, I just wanted to apologized for last night,” Melissa started.


“Hey, no worries. You’re ok though? I was pretty worried about you,” Jon said concerned. The look of genuine concern in his blue eyes making her melt in her seat.


“Yes, I’m ok,” Melissa said taking a deep breath, “Look I know you don’t owe me a thing-“


“Except for about $10,000,” Jon said laughing.


Melissa smiled. “Well in that case we can figure out the conversion from minutes to dollars. I totally owe you an explanation about what happened last night.”


“There’s really no need too-“


“Jon, please. I know I don’t have to, but I want to. I owe you that.”


“Ok, if you insist. Why don’t we go outside?” Jon offered.


“Ok, some fresh air will be nice,” Melissa said standing.


“Hey, where are my two favorite lovebirds going?” Richie called from across the kitchen.


“Just outside to talk, we’ll be back,” Jon said. He looked at Melissa who was having an intense but silent conversation with Angela.


“Wait before you go outside take some coffee its cold out there,” he said, grabbing two travel mugs out of the cabinet.


Jon and Melissa walked back over to the counter. Jon went over to help Richie with the hot mugs. “Light and sweet, Melissa?” he asked.


“With cream please, even though I’m not sure I should have anymore for a while,” she said shaking her head.


“Why, how much did you have? Can’t be more than I’ve had. I think this will be my fourth,” Richie challenged.


“This is what Ang, my sixth, seventh maybe,” Melissa said.


“Wow, what have you been up since 3 or something?” Richie joked snapping on the lids. “Have a good time, darling,” he said, handing one to her.


“Thanks, Richie,” she answered, taking the mug and a big sip. “This is really good coffee.” Richie smiled at her and gave her a wink.


“Come on, let’s go before you stroke his ego anymore,” Jon said, laughing.


When they reached the door, Jon opened it and Melissa took one last look at Angela. “Have fun, I’ll be right here waiting,” Angela said encouragingly. And with that Melissa followed Jon out the door and down the steps to the beach.

No comments: