Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chapter 13

Melissa looked at herself in the mirror and smiled at her reflection. She had been getting ready for almost an hour and a half, with Angela’s help of course, and was still putting the finishing touches on her hair.


“Ok Mel, I think you’re good to go! I’m just gonna change out of this quick,” Angela said gesturing to her Crush Tour tee shirt.


“I didn’t even notice that! It’s a good thing you did”, Melissa said following her friend out of the bathroom and into the master.


As the passed in the hallway Tommy called up to them, “Are you almost ready, Mel?”


“Tommy we’ll be down in a couple minutes, why don’t you watch TV or something?” Angela answered entering her bedroom.


After a few minutes of debating what exactly she should wear, Angela decided on a blue tank top with the Soul logo on the bottom to go with her denim shorts, and moved in front of the mirror to take a look.


“God Ang, who’s going on this date me or you?” Melissa asked as she watched her friend fix her hair.


“You may be the one going out with him, but this is Jon Bon Jovi were talking about all the same. No harm in looking nice. Ok I guess I’m ready. You wanna take one last look?” Angela asked moving from the mirror.


Melissa obliged and looked at herself again in the mirror. I can’t believe I’m really doing this. I’m going out with Jon Bon Jovi. She couldn’t believe the words as she was thinking them. A familiar sense of uncertainty crept up in her, making her second guess her decision.


Angela saw the look in her friend’s eyes and took her hands. “No Melissa Caroline, don’t you dare get that look. You are going to be fine. I don’t want you second-guessing yourself for one second. This is Jon, ok? Jon that we’ve been in love with for, like, over 15 years. It’s a once in a lifetime night, and you are absolutely gonna have the time of your life!”


“I know you’re right. I’m just telling my brain that. What time is it, I didn’t hear the bell ring yet.” Melissa said looking for a clock.


Looking at her watch, Angela answered, “It’s a couple minutes after six. And he’s not here yet; Tommy would’ve called up to us. Let’s go downstairs, and you can put your stuff in my purse.”


“Ok, lets go,” Melissa picked the empty black bag off the bed and headed for the stairs.


Downstairs Tommy and Jon were watching TV in the living room. He had gotten to their house, around five to six and had been talking with Tommy. He had to laugh to himself when “told” the Melissa he was here, or so Tommy thought. He had been married over 15 years and had a daughter so he knew that you had to spell it out when it was time to leave or someone was there for them. But it wasn’t in his place to suggest that he clarify his message. He was having a pleasant conversation with Tommy, mainly about football and watching clips from Sports Center. They were just talking about the Soul’s recent championship when they heard footsteps coming down the stairs.


“Tommy, I just have to change my purse, I’ll be in the kitchen. Call me when he gets here,” Melissa called from the distance.


Jon smiled when he heard her, he felt almost giddy at the sound of her voice. What is it about her that has me acting like a teenager, Jon thought shaking his head.


“Mel he’s here. We’ve been watching TV like Angela said,” Tommy answered.


“What are you talking about? You never said he was here, Tommy you can be such a man sometimes. I wanna see how you talk your way outta this one after I leave. I’ll be in, in a minute,” Melissa said with a slight hint of irritation in her voice.


In the distance he could hear another woman’s voice apologizing and criticizing her husband. That definitely sounds like the kind of woman that would be flirting with Richie. Lots of spunk.


“I did tell them, didn’t I?” Tommy asked Jon looking nervous.


“Hey, man I learned a long time to pick my fights when disagreeing with a woman. You’re on your own here.” Jon said laughing.


Tommy looked up from Jon and stood, “There’s my Mel Bell. You look wonderful.”


Jon turned to follow Tommy’s gaze and saw two very distinct women. Melissa stood in the doorway in a red dress that took his breath away, next to a woman, he assumed was Angela, in shorts and a shirt. Melissa’s features were directly contrasted by her friend’s. While they were the same height and similar in build, that was where the similarities ended. Melissa’s pale skin, seemingly untouched by the sun, differed from Angela’s olive Mediterranean complexion, which was darkened by the sun. Angela’s dark features accentuated Melissa’s blue green eyes and blond hair. Standing before him was the epitome of the “All American Girl Next Door.” She’s even more beautiful than I remember, Jon thought still paralyzed by her presence. He caught himself staring, nearly gawking, and walked over to the pair of women.


Melissa couldn’t believe her eyes. Jon Bon Jovi was in front of her. He looks even better than he did last week. In all the times I’ve seen him live, I don’t think he’s ever look this good! And now he’s all mine, she thought taking in every detail. His hair was lighter than it was at the end of the last tour, pretty reminiscent of the Bounce or This Left Feels Right eras. She couldn’t remember ever seeing a picture of him dressed so formally, even though he maintained his inner rocker. He had on black pants with a button down blue shirt that made his eyes sparkle. In true Jon fashion his shirt was unbuttoned just enough to see a hint of chest hair.


As he stopped in front of her, she swallowed her nerves and tried to remind herself that this was just a man. “I’m sorry to keep you waiting. I didn’t know you were here,” she said losing herself in his eyes.


“Not a problem, I was just talking some football here with Tommy. You look stunning. Are you ready to go?” Jon asked.


Melissa felt her cheeks blush at the compliment but maintained her composure. “Thanks, you look nice too.” Is that the understatement of the year? “I’m just about ready, my shoes are by the front door.”


“Before you go, Jon, can I ask a huge favor?” Angela asked almost jumping and squealing when he turned to look at her.


“You’re Angela I assume?” Jon asked, and she nodded smiled bigger when he said her name. “We were never formally introduced. I’m Jon Bon Jovi, its nice to meet you. And I have to say that’s an interesting choice of clothing, not that I’m complaining,” he said gesturing to the Soul shirt then extending his hand.


When Angela only giggled, Melissa had to nudge her friend to snap her back to reality. “I’m Angela Karapolis. It’s very, very nice to finally meet you,” She said shaking his hand.


“Now you had a favor to ask me?”


“If you don’t mind, and Melissa and my husband don’t stop me, could I give you a hug?” Angela said uncertainly.


Melissa’s jaw dropped, “Angela Faith, you can’t ask that!


“No, its ok,” Jon answered laughing, “Its not the first time I’ve been asked that. Come here baby.”


Angela squealed with delight and melted into his arms with a little moan. “Angela, did you just grab his ass?” Tommy asked shocked, “I’m standing right here!”


“Its not the first time that’s happened,” Jon said turning slightly red, as he let go of Angela. “But before I go I have a message to relay.”


“For me?” Angela asked smiling from ear to ear.


“Yes ma’am. Mr. Sambora would like me to tell you that he enjoyed your show this afternoon, and then next time that you get so close to the house you should stop by for a drink or something.” Angela stood in shock not moving. “Shall we Miss Melissa,” he asked offering her his arm and heading towards the foyer. She took his arm and followed, stopping at the door to slip on her shoes. Tommy and Angela appeared in the foyer behind them.


“Now before you go I just need a quick picture,” Angela said holding her camera.


“Do you mind?” Melissa asked.


“Getting my picture taken with a beautiful woman, never. It feels like prom.” Jon said putting his arm around her shoulder.


After a few quick pictures, Jon turned to say goodbye to Angela and Tommy. After a quick hug and kiss on the cheek to Angela he turned to Tommy. “Now make sure you have her home by midnight, even though you are a rock star,” Tommy said shaking Jon’s hand.


Angela hit her husband in the arm. “Don’t listen to him, you can keep her out as late as you want. And I’ll be waiting up for all the details. Have a good time.” Angela said as they headed for the door.


As the gentleman, that he is, Jon held the door open for Melissa, and he guided her out the door by the small of her back. His touch sent a shiver through her body, as though his touch was electric. When she heard the door shut she turned to look at him.


“I usually don’t speak so blunt like this, to someone I don’t know, but bear with me,” Melissa said stopping and looking into his blue eyes.


“I’m bearing with you.”


“If this is just a ‘thank you dinner’ than I will have a wonderful evening and be grateful of your generosity and cherish my one night with a rock star. But if you asked me out because you think that you want to spend time with me and see where this takes us, then I have to ask you that we take this nice and slow. Either way I am looking forward to whatever you have in store for tonight, and I hope that you don’t think I’m nuts.” She tried to read his expression, hoping that she hadn’t scared off this essentially perfect man.


“Well that was very blunt of you,” he paused and looked at her, into her pure eyes, “Slow it is then.” He offered her his arm once again and led the way to the car.

1 comment:

Bayaderra said...

Can't wait to "hear" about the date! Bring on the next chapter!