Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Chapter 1

Jon Bon Jovi opened his eyes and looked around for his cell phone. He slapped around of the night table until he located the vibrating and beeping phone. He looked at the alarm clock, 10:45. Who could be calling me this early, and why? He looked at the screen 7 missed calls, 6 new voicemails. Jon sat up in bed slowly as he could still feel the effects of his late night. He looked through the calls before listening to the messages. The first was from his personal assistant, then his mother, then one…no two from Richie, one from his daughter, he groaned as he saw the last call from his ex wife. He turned the TV on looking for some news, to make sure that the world didn’t end while he was sleeping. He couldn’t find any so he figured the world was fine and he left ESPN on to hear the latest from Giant’s training camp.

Keeping the volume low he dialed his voicemail to listen to his messages. “Please enter your password and then press pound” Jon mechanically entered 0429. He laughed at the irony, as it was his wedding day. That number had been important to him for so long, even after the divorce he hadn’t even thought about changing it. He shook his head and waited. “Message one”

“Hey Mr. B it’s Cara, I’m sorry to be bothering you so early. Right now its 7:45 on Thursday, I’m heading out for the shore for the long weekend but you know you can reach me if you need to. Anyway I’m calling to remind you about your appearance this afternoon. Well I don’t know if I’d call it an appearance per say. Anyway it’s at Hackensack University Medical Center, in Hackensack. More or less you’ll be visiting with the kids and families on the Pediatrics floor. Maybe do a craft with them. I told them that you wouldn’t be able to sing, but if you were to bring your guitar and take a couple of requests it would be a nice touch. All the paper work is on your front table, along with the directions, and the coordinator at the hospitals business card. Her name is Melissa Blake, I’ve spoken to her a few times, and so she should be able to answer any questions. I left it there yesterday when I dropped off your dry cleaning, which is in your closet, and I’m assuming you didn’t notice or you would’ve called to ask about it. I have my cell if you need me. I’ll be back Saturday night, enjoy the rest of the week. Oh and if you don’t mind calling me to make sure you got the message that would be great. ”

“God is she on top of things.” Jon said appreciatively. Cara was in her early 30’s and married her high school sweetheart, similar to him and Dot. He had hired her shortly after the separation to keep on top of his stuff that Dot usually did. He was amazed at her organizational skills. Even on her day off she called to remind him about his own life. He would definitely be in worse shape over the past year and a half without her. “Message 2”

“Hey Johnny it’s mom. Everything’s ok here before you panic. I just wanted to know how you were doing. I thought about calling you yesterday but I decided against it to let you have a day of peace. Call me back and let me know that you’re doing ok, or I’m gonna have to come down there and see for myself. I love you.” Jon just shook his head. No matter how old he got his mother still thought of everything. Had she of called yesterday he would have been in no mood to talk, she knew him better then he knew himself most of the time. “Message 3”

“Jon its Rich. I know it’s early but Ava’s with me today and she likes to get up early. Listen gimme a call later and we can do something, try not to sulk all day, you’re a real buzz kill when you’re moping.” In true Richie fashion, he thought to himself. A supporting hand but he can’t be a buzz kill when it came time to do something. He had to laugh at that one. “Message 4”

“Hey it’s me again. I just called Cara to make sure that you were in fact free to sulk all day and she told me you have to do something at a hospital. Look, try not to be too much of an ass, they didn’t pick the date, technically you did. I know this is rough man I’ve been there remember? It’s been a year that’s something; you’ve made it this far. It’s not you’re fault you married a bitch. I know, I know “she’s not a bitch” but she broke my best friend’s heart. I’m here man if you need to talk, but remember the kids are sick and you’re there to make their day better, and they may have a good effect on you too. Later.”

And there it was someone had actually said it. It had been one year since his divorce was finalized and yet he still felt hurt. All the wine in the world couldn’t help the pain, not for lack of trying. He was alone and his ex had the family that he loved just as much as she did. The kids were his too, after all, but he felt so far away. “Message 5”

“Hey daddy. I just wanted to call and say that I love you and I miss you. I haven’t seen you in a couple of weeks, even though the last time you were here was my fault because I made plans to go to the movies with Tina and Lisa and I didn’t know that you were coming until after we bought the tickets, and I thought that you’d be there when I got back but you already left. Anyway I wanted to know if you wanted to do something this week or this weekend. Summer’s almost over and I’ll be back in school and I wanted to spend some time with you before school started, because then I’ll be super busy. And maybe if the boys didn’t have to tag along that would be great too. So call me back I’m going to the mall in like 30 minutes but its ok you can call me. Love you. Bye!” Jon had to listen to the message twice before he could take in the whole message. There was something about teenage girls that had them convinced that the faster they talked the better.

When Jon really heard the message part of his heart broke, while the other part of him was fuming. It tore him up that his 15 year old daughter, who normally wouldn’t be caught dead within 50 feet of her parents, was calling to try to make plans. The divorce had been amiable but Dot had made it difficult and awkward for him to see his own kids. That was definitely going to top of his priority list: his kids. He needed them just as much as they needed their dad. He would have to make Dot see that she was being unfair. Before he had thought out a plan his wife’s voice came onto the other end of the phone.

“Hey Johnny, its Dot. I just wanted to call and see how you were. You haven’t been around to see the kids or called this week and I wanted to make sure you were ok. I’m sure I know why being…well…a year and all. And it’s been hard for me too. But that’s hard to explain to a 4 year old. I know I’m the last person you want to talk to today, but just call the kids and tell them that you love them. They miss you.”

She’s got some nerve calling. Jon thought. He got up and headed downstairs. On his way he grabbed the info that Cara had left him and headed to the kitchen where he could smell coffee brewing. There was a note on the counter from his housekeeper, Amelia.

Mr. Jon I went to run some errands. Coffee is fresh as of 10:30, and there is some fresh fruit cut in the refrigerator. I should be back by noon to make something for lunch.

Jon looked at the clock, 11:05. He set out for a mug to make a cup of coffee. This was already a day from hell maybe he should just cancel and reschedule for another time and spend the day with his kids and as he settled into a stool at the counter he read Cara’s note.

“Mr. B, here is all the info that you need. I included directions and your confirmation note along with Ms. Blake’s card. I assumed that you would drive up. It should be about 1:20 minutes with traffic so I would suggest leaving no latter than 12:30, You’re expected at 2:00. If for some reason you need to cancel I would suggest against that because you have already canceled twice because of make up dates from the tour and football. I of course would never tell you what to do just a suggestion; canceling a 3rd time may not be the best way to make a first impression. Call if you need me… ~Cara”

“Well there goes that idea,” he said to no one at all. His house was so empty now without the kids he was always surprised that his voice didn’t echo. He grabbed his coffee mug and went upstairs to shower and then to start to return some of his phone calls, before a search party was sent out after him.

***************** 60 miles away in northern Jersey*******************

“Door’s open,” Melissa Blake called, as she finished putting her makeup on. “I’m in the bathroom I’ll be out in a minute. The coffee’s fresh if you want some.” She heard a faint acknowledgement from the living room. She took a final look in the mirror. She was dressed in a pair of black pants, and a fun blue printed top. She never knew what to wear when celebrities came to the hospital. She wanted to look nice, but not that she was disconnected from the kids that she worked with. She was in charge on the children’s program at Hackensack University Medical Center, one of the largest hospitals in the state. It was up to her to make their stay in the hospital easier or at least their last days more enjoyable.

Today was one of those days when some big shot would come in and try not to look too miserable to be there. More times then not it was a good experience all around, but sometimes they looked like they genuinely didn’t care. That was the part of her job that really got to her, people not caring that children were innocent victims of illness and injury. She shook her head at the thought, and walked out to the kitchen.

“Hey Mel, you look nice. We’ve got like 2 minutes before we’re both gonna be late” her best friend Angela called from the couch.

“Ok I’m just gonna grab coffee and this toast and I’ll be good to go. Thanks for the ride, I should get my car back tomorrow and I couldn’t call out,” she answered.

“Someone famous coming today? Do I get any hints on who it is?” Angela called back.

“Yeah but let’s see if he actually shows up, he’s already canceled twice. And you know I don’t like to know who’s coming this way if they flake, I’m none the wiser, and if its someone good I don’t spend 3 weeks freaking out on what I’m gonna do. Ok I think I’m ready” Melissa stopped in the doorway to look at her friend. “Do I look like I’m ready to save the world?”

“Absolutely! Now let’s go before we’re both late.” Angela said as she shooed Melissa out the door. The pair talked down the stairs to the car. When Angela started the engine, there was faint music playing:

She came looking for some shelter with a suitcase full of dreams
To a motel room on the boulevard
I guess she's trying to be James Dean
She's seen all the disciples and all the wanna-be's
No one wants to be themselves these days
Still there's nothing to hold on to but these days

As Angela pulled onto the highway the chorus came and as Melissa reached to turn up the volume, the two girls sang out to their audience. A specific audience with sandy brown hair and clear blue eyes. Twenty minutes later when they got to the hospital Melissa got out of the car and called “Thanks for the ride I should be done around 6:30-ish” Angela nodded and pulled away, as Melissa entered the hospital humming along to the familiar chorus of “Something to believe in”.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to be the first one to say that...I absolutely enjoy your story. Your writing skills are great! Hurry up with the next chapters and have fun writing them!

Arwen

Opester said...

The story is looking good so far-it's a nice beginning and shows a good portrayal of the characters too!
I would recommend breaking the dialog out from the paragraphs the way you see in most of the fics-someone gave me this advice too when I first started writing and it really does make a big difference!
Glad to have another new writer on the horizon! Enjoy! Fan fics have a way of transforming their authors...

Anonymous said...

I like the start of your story, it sounds good so far.

Sheena

TaraLeigh said...

Welcome aboard the FF train, Rachel! So glad you decided to give writing a try.

Great beginning. I like the surly, miserable Jon. ;)