Friday, August 29, 2008

Chapter 7

Jon grabbed the ringing phone off of the coffee table, expecting it to be nagging questions from his ex. Instead he was please to see that it was Melissa, and smiled nervously.


“Who is it? Is it Tico? I know you’ve been thinking about him so fondly.” Richie said with a smirk, and looked when Jon showed him the phone. “Well answer it you dumbass.”


“What do I say?” Jon asked nervously. He couldn’t believe he was acting like a 15 year old.


“Well you start with hello, god how long has it been for you man?” Richie said with a little too much excitement in his voice.


“Seriously? Probably close to 30 years if not more. High school man.”


“Well you gotta do something or its gonna go to voicemail, and you’ll end up playing phone tag. God do you want me to do this for you?”


Jon thought for a second, and realizing there was no way he was going to compose himself in the next 15 seconds handed the phone over. “Just don’t make me sound, I dunno like you.”


“Thanks for the vote of confidence man. What would you do without me?” Richie said and took a breath before answering.


Melissa watched each agonizing second that Angela held the phone in her hand without saying anything. Suddenly her eyes lit up and Melissa held her breath.


In both living rooms the scene was pretty identical. Two people having a phone call as someone else while the suddenly silent friend looked on anxiously. Both Jon and Melissa could hardly contain themselves, as they hoped their friends would play it cool and not embarrass them.


“Hey Melissa, how are you? You got my message I see?” Richie said, as Jon.


“Yes I did, and I was flattered that you called.” Angela answered, looking as though she would scream at any second. Please god don’t let her scream in his ear, Melissa thought.


“How is it that she can flirt with someone so easily? Is this someone that I should be concerned about?” Tommy whispered. His seemingly innocent question was answered with an angry punch and “Shhh!” from Melissa and an angry hand wave from Angela.


“Well its good to know that I haven’t lost my charm.”


“That is definitely something that I don’t think you’ll ever have to worry about.” Angela said and giggled. Oh great, I’m gonna lose her, Melissa thought.


“Good to know that someone out there has that sort of confidence in me. Anyway I just wanted to thank you again for this afternoon. I had a wonderful time.” Richie said as Jon watched him closely.


“Wait a second, buddy.” Angela said with a certain hint of skepticism in her voice.


“What was it something I said?” Richie said, and Jon shot him daggers.


“No its not what you said, its how you said it. Well kinda. I know my Jon’s voice and that’s not it!” Angela said, Melissa put her head in her hands, she couldn’t watch. And did she call him my Jon? Melissa felt Tommy’s hand on her back, as she shook her head.


“Um, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Richie racked his brain for an excuse. This wasn’t a problem he could remember ever facing before, how was he supposed to know she was a fan? Jon looked on in disbelief he’s barely been on the phone 45 seconds and he’s blowing it.


“Ok, I’m sorry it must have been a weird connection. Anyway you enjoyed your time in the Cardiac Wing today then?” Angela said determined to blow his cover, whoever he was. She knew the voice, just not sure from where.


“Yes I didn’t know how rewarding working with cardiac patients could be.” Richie said thinking he had dug himself out.


“Shit man, you’re done” Jon said, unable to believe what was unfolding in front of him.


“Ha, I knew it! And now I know that voice! Richie Sambora, right? And I think I hear Jon in the background, yes?” Angela said, and Melissa picked her head back up.


“Ok, you caught me. The truth is Jon was a little nervous about taking the call himself so he pawned it off to his trusty friend, to set him up.”


“Seriously?” Angela said laughing.


“Yeah what’s so funny? Evidentially this dating thing has him acting like a fish out of water.” Richie said as he took a punch in the arm.


“You’re never gonna believe this but I’m not Melissa. She did the same thing to me over here. I’m Angela, nice to meet you.”


Richie laughed aloud, and took another hit to his arm. “Ow man stop hitting me! This is gonna be a good story just let me take care of this for you. Now Miss Angela I think we have some business to attend to. It seems that my friend here would like to take your friend out on a date, what does your side say to that?”


“First, tell him not to hit you, you’re far to pretty to risk hurting. And it better not be your arms, god forbid anything happens to them!”


“Well thank you darling! I appreciate the sentiment, but he’s not too happy since his or well my cover’s blown so I may be a casualty.” Angela let out a little whimper when he said “darling”, and Richie laughed at the response.


“Angela! Control yourself. Please.” Melissa said as she threw a pillow at her.


“Looks like we both may be casualties tonight. But that’s what I call loyalty. Anyway my side accepts your side’s offer. Any ideas?”


“Not a clue. We could do something mean and send them to McDonalds or something like that for the abuse were taking here.” Richie said.


“Damn it Rich that’s not funny. Give me the phone.” Jon said afraid that his chance was lost. His half of the conversation wasn’t exactly sounding promising.


“No man, you wanted me to do this, trust me.” Richie said with a grin.


“Ooh I think I’ve got it.” Angela said as an idea came to mind. “Is Jon around next week? And is usually the romantic type, because I can totally set him up.”


“I think he’s around, if not I can make him available. I’m not too sure how romantic he is, he could probably use some help. What were you thinking?” Richie said, intrigued as to what she came up with.


“Well I just happened to know, by chance of course, that you have a house down the shore. Right?” Angela asked.


“Angela don’t sound like a stalker!” Melissa shrieked. That was it. Now I’m done. Melissa got waved at and her best friend mouthed a simple ‘Trust me.’


“I’m gonna pretend that you know that from a story that I told at a concert. But yes continue.”


“We’ll next week we’re going down the shore, and we always stay in Point Pleasant. So how about one night they go out to dinner and then a nice walk on the beach?”


“Ok I’m going to pretend that my last response was ‘Yeah I’ve got a place in Point Pleasant’. But other than that it sounds great. What days are you gonna be down there?”


“We’re gonna get down there Tuesday after work, and come home Saturday, hopefully against the shore traffic. Does that work?”


“Yup how about we make it Wednesday, so if they hit it off they have time to see where things go?” Jon rolled his eyes at his friend and hit him again. “Watch it man you’re not supposed to hit my arms. That’s what the beautiful woman told me at least.”


Angela let out another moan at the last sentence floated through her ear. “Sound perfect! Should we let them pick the time and place? Or should we just totally do everything?”


“Nah we’ll make them work for it, but if he doesn’t tell you by Sunday any other information give me a call. You got a pen I’ll give you my number just in case.”


“Oh my god, Tommy I need a friggin’ pen.” Tommy grabbed a pen off the table and held it up. “Give it to me now or I swear to god, you don’t want to know.” Tommy got up and handed it to her.


“It’s ok me and my number aren’t going anywhere. Let me know when she hands over the hostage”


“Ok I’m ready,” Angela said as she grabbed a piece of paper.


“Ok its 732-403-0385.” Richie said slowly so she could write it down, and she repeated it back to him. “Perfect, what would they do without us?”


“You know, I really don’t know. I should run away sometime and see what happens.” Angela said smiling as she saw that she had written his number on a list on Bon Jovi related movies they were taking down the shore with them.


“It was a pleasure Angela working with you.”


“Same here, Richie. You have no idea.”


Richie smiled at the compliment. “You know we worked hard for our friends tonight, how about Johnny treats us to dinner Wednesday?”


“God man you’re incorrigible. You’re getting me a date, not the other way around. Say goodnight Richie” Jon said as he reached for the phone.


“No tell Jon that’s ok.” Angela said as she collapsed into the nearest piece of furniture, at the thought.


“Dude back up, she said yes.” Richie said pleased with himself.


“Actually, I hate to burst you’re bubble, but I didn’t say yes. I’m flattered really, but my husband may have something to say about that.” Angela said.


“Finally you remembered me,” Tommy said as Melissa hit him with another, “shh”.


“Oh Tommy shut up, or I may just run away with him.” Angela said jokingly.


“So I ask you out to dinner, and you decide we’re running away together? Hey there was no harm in asking.” Richie said nonchalantly.


“I’m flattered beyond belief, but I am a taken woman. And as much as I hate to say this, I should probably go, before Melissa’s head explodes.” Angela said and Melissa let out a sigh of relief.


“I should probably do the same, before Jon rips my arm off and he has to find a new guitarist. Once again it was a delight doing business with you. Have a wonderful night darling.” Richie said as he heard her groan again.


“Night!” Angela said as she hung up the phone. She got up off of the chair she had landed in and dove on her best friend on the couch. “You so owe me!”


“Oh my god, so you really did it? I’m going out with Jon Bon Jovi?” Melissa asked, hardly able to believe the words that were coming out of her mouth.


“Absolutely! And you’re never gonna believe why I was talking to Richie Sambora.” Angela said, and she began to recount the conversation she had. Tommy had left after five minutes, not needing to hear every detail. When she had finished Melissa gave her a huge hug.


“I can’t believe I’m actually going to do this!” Melissa exclaimed with a smile that could rival the size of Jon’s on a concert night. “There’s so much we have to do!”


“We’ll start with shopping of course!” Angela said almost as excited as Melissa.


“Melissa what are you still doing here?” Tommy said as he came out from the bedroom, changed for bed.


“What are you kicking me out?” Melissa teased.


“You can stay as long as you want, as long as you stop screaming. But it’s after midnight.” Tommy said with a yawn.


The girls looked over at the clock, 12:18. “Wow, I can’t believe its that late already! Time flies when there are rock stars involved. I better go.” Melissa said standing and getting her purse. “We’ll finish our plans on our way to work tomorrow.”


“Mel you know you don’t have to go, why don’t you stay the night it’s late. And you don’t have a car remember?” Angela said.


“Nah I’m fine, I’m two blocks away. And I should go home I haven’t been home since this morning and Frank, Dean, and Sammy haven’t been fed yet.” Melissa said feeling guilty about not feeding her cats before she came over. “I’ll be fine really. I’ll text you when I get home, promise. Don’t I always?”


“No, I’ll drive you. I don’t want you walking this late. Come on get your stuff, I’ll get the keys.” Tommy said and he went in the kitchen to find his wife’s purse.


“You’ve got a keeper you know that right?” Melissa said to Angela as she gathered her stuff. There was no sense in arguing with Tommy, she would give in eventually.


Tommy reappeared with the keys and her purse. “Got everything?” he asked.


“Looks like it. Thanks again for everything Angela. I mean it. I’ll see you in the morning.” Melissa said giving her friend a hug.


She followed Tommy out the door and to the car. They drove the two quick blocks in near silence, because they were both tired, and Melissa was lost in her thoughts. As he pulled in front of her apartment building and parked, Melissa leaned over to give him a hug. “Thanks Tommy you’re the best.” He nodded and mumbled goodnight through a yawn and he watched her get safely into her building. When she reached her apartment, she sent out her customary text to Angela that she had arrived safely. She wasn’t home more than five minutes before she fell asleep on her bed, still in her clothes with her cats scattered around her.


In Red Bank, Richie handed Jon his phone and declared, “You’ve got a date, pour me another glass of wine.” Richie sat down and took the glass and recounted his story. When all was said the two men had finished their third bottle of wine and decided to call it a night. And a successful one at that. At the top of the stairs Richie turned to the left to head to his room.


Before Jon made his way to the right, he turned to his friend. “Hey Rich thanks for everything tonight.”


“No problem man, that’s what I’m here for. You took care of me for the last 5 years or so, and now I’m paying you back.” Richie said with a smile. Jon gave him a hug before turning to go to bed.


On his way down the hall he stopped as he passed his daughter’s room to look inside. She had kicked off her blanket and Jon went over to cover her back up. He smiled at his daughter and whispered, “I love you Stephie.” He stood and watched her sleep in peace for a minute before turning to go to his own room. He picked up the note from his daughter from his bed and placed it on his night table, before he changed and got into bed. Within minutes he was asleep, feeling not as alone as he had the past few weeks with his daughter and brother here with him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well,well....Jon Bon Jovi has been spotted in the Bergen county...allert the media! Jon, forget the Hackensack...come to Valley, I'll take you around!
Seriously, Rachel, great start! Can't wait to read more!
Bayaderra.

Scarlett said...

I was thinking about Valley, but I know Hackensack has a great children's program. Melissa lives in Ridgewood if that makes up for it. You're from Jersey too I assume?

Anonymous said...

Yes Rachel,
I live and work in North Bergen county :)
Soooo, Melissa lives in Ridgewood... What are my chances of "running into the dynamic duo" on my way to work... lets say on Linwood Ave :) Hahahahahaha...now don't I wish that fan fic could, sometimes, become real!
Bayaderra.

Scarlett said...

If it was up to me Jon would be moving there tomorrow! To bad I can only bring him north in my dreams :/