Monday, August 25, 2008

Chapter 3

“No you don’t understand this is an emergency! I need to speak to Angela immediately,” a hysterical Melissa yelled into her office phone.


“I’m sorry miss but Mrs. Karapolis gave me strict instructions not to interrupt her meeting.”


“Look I understand that but, she would want you to interrupt her. If its anything short of a meeting with God himself, she would want to be on the phone with me right now.” Melissa tried to explain without bursting.


“Miss Black, I’m sorry she didn’t leave me with any exceptions-“


“Look I understand that you’re new at the restaurant, but she’s my next of kin and I’m in the hospital and I need to speak with her.” Melissa said half sorry that she lied, but desperate to talk to her best fiend.


“The hospital, hold on let me see if I can give her the message. What was your first name again?”


“Melissa Blake not Black. You can tell her that I appreciate that you tried to stick to your guns. And please hurry!” Melissa said as she felt some of her emotions turn from unexplainable euphoria to aggravation. Maybe her hidden message would coax Angela to the phone.


Melissa sat in her office, trying to take in that last two hours or so. She pinched herself many times during the afternoon to make sure that she wasn’t dreaming, but no dream could be this good. Jon Bon Jovi, in the flesh had spent an entire afternoon, with her. Visiting with the kids that she had come to know and love. He had talked with each child and their family, signing countless autographs and taking pictures for anyone who asked. He even took pictures with the staff and signed autographs. It may have been in her head, but she thought she caught him looking at her across the room. He was every bit as good as she had always imagined he would be, not to mention quite the flirt. After a few minutes she heard someone pick up on the end of the phone.


“Mel, what the hell is going on? You work in the hospital so I don’t think that, that really counts. And you can’t go badgering the staff she’s new. I only have a minute, and then I have to get back to my meeting. So if you could keep it like a dozen words or less” Angela sounded annoyed, but curious all the same. After a silent pause from Melissa’s end, Angela getting annoyed said “Come on Mel, I really don’t have all day.”


“Ok, I was counting my words. Here it goes: ‘I spent the afternoon with Jon Bon Jovi, and he kissed me.’ But go on get back to you meeting we can talk later.” Melissa answered with a giggle in her voice.


On the other end of the phone she heard a scream, promptly followed by the phone dropping and a string of curses. Melissa sat smiling as she waited for her friend to compose herself enough to talk.


“OH MY GOD! Melissa Caroline Blake tell me everything right now! Don’t leave out a single breath he took. Oh my god! Jon Bon Jovi are you friggin’ kidding me?!” Angela answered quickly with squeals every couple of words.


“I kid you not, he was here in the flesh, for almost two hours. But I will of course let you get back to your meeting. I’ll see you in about an hour.”


“Oh, Mel don’t leave me hanging! Oh, I guess you’re right I should go, not that I’ll be able to think about anything other than those blue eyes! I’ll see you at 5:30. Oh my god Jon Bon Jovi, couldn’t I be working in the hospital today?” And with that Angela hung up.


Melissa sat in her office and looked at the letter that he had given her.

Melissa, You do amazing work with these kids. Should, god forbid, anything ever happen to one of my kids, I know that there are people and programs like yours to help these children in their time of need. I would love to come back with all the guys and do a concert for them around the holidays. If you ever need any help please don’t hesitate to call me.

Jon


She looked at the letter and smiled, it must have been the 100th time she read the letter and still couldn’t believe it. She couldn’t imagine what she would do if all the guys came and sang. She took out some paperwork she had to file for the afternoon, even though she knew she would have to end up redoing it in the morning.


*******

As Jon got onto the highway he grabbed his phone to call his daughter. After a few lines of the latest song on her ring-back, she answered the phone with a quick, and almost sad hi.


“Hi Steph it’s dad. I’m on my way back home. I should be at mom’s in about an hour does that work for you?”


“Oh hi dad. Can you hold on a sec? Lemme hang up with Tina.” He heard a click, and was glad to hear that her voice picked up. “Ok I’m back. Yeah I should be able to get ready. Am I staying the night?”


“That’s up to you Steph you know that my house is your home just as much as mom’s is.” As soon as he said it, he regretted it. He never wanted to make his kids feel that they had to choose one parent over the other. “I have no plans for tomorrow so we can do breakfast of you want. But Richie and Ava are coming over tonight. If you want the four of us can do dinner or they can come over later.”


“Oh dad it doesn’t matter to me, I just want to spend some time with you. Maybe I’ll stay the night and we can have breakfast together.”


Jon’s heart sank. He was stupid to make plans with his friend and his daughter on the same night. He didn’t want to make her feel like she wasn’t the priority in his life.


“Stephie, if you want I can do something with Richie another night and we could rent a movie or something. I thought we would just get a bite to eat, but whatever you want is good with me.”


“Dad don’t worry about it. I haven’t seen much of Uncle Richie and Ava since they spend most of their time in California during the year. And besides it’ll make the boys jealous.”


“As long as you’re sure you don’t mind. I’ll see you in like an hour. Let me know if you change your mind, it only takes one phone call and Richie’s gone.”


“Ok Dad, but I have to go get ready. Bye” And with that she hung up the phone. Jon switched lanes and smiled. He would spend the evening with his daughter and then his best friend would have to help him do something about Melissa. He smiled bigger when he thought of the gorgeous blonde he had spent the afternoon with. Richie would know exactly what to do, but first would come the inevitable encounter with his ex-wife.

1 comment:

TaraLeigh said...

Well, well...Jonny is trying to juggle everything on the same night hey?

And what the heck!? NO DETAILS ON THE KISS?! Gah!

Evil tease!