Thursday, August 28, 2008

Chapter 6

Jon plopped on the couch next to his friend. He poured himself a glass of wine, and sighed. “Ok where do you want me to begin? And dude this is one of those conversations that’s gonna go to the grave, got it?”


Richie nodded and said, “Start from the beginning. Well not about your morning I talked to you then about how Rotten Dottie had her panties in a twist.”


“Man you have no idea. And don’t let Steph hear you call her that. Who does she think she is calling me? You know. Yesterday was a year, a whole fucking year, since the divorce was finished and she thinks she can just call and ask me how I’m doing. All sweet one minute and then the next minute she’s trying to guilt me about the boys. I mean she, and the whole world, knew our touring schedule, and she made sure that the kids were busy whenever I was home. But I’m the bad parent. I do the best I can you know. So I call the house to talk to the kids and she sent them down the shore with her sister. I mean what does she want from me?” Jon said as he could feel his temper rising.


“Hey man, no need to get mad about it. I always told you I wasn’t crazy about her. And she hated me. Even when Heather and me split, and not as gracefully as you two did, she didn’t try keep Ava from me. Now don’t get me wrong she didn’t go out of her way to make it easy, but she was accommodating all the same. Not that I’m one for confrontation or anything,” Jon rolled his eyes, “but that is going a little far. I would talk to her about that.”


“Oh wait it gets better when I went to get Steph, because god forbid she would drop her off here, Jesse was home. He never went down the shore, just Jakey and Ro. I thought I was gonna lose it.” Jon said as he reached for the bottle of wine.


“God its like Rot’s hiding them from you or something.” Richie sad. It was hard for him to watch his friend being abused by his ex, because he had been there a few years earlier and knew exactly what he was feeling.


“But then when I got there I was perfectly pleasant to her. You know I try for the kids. She just seemed so angry with my existence. And I tried to tell her about my day, and she lashed out in that way that she gets. The ‘I’m gonna say ridiculously hurtful things without raising my voice one bit to add to the insult.’ God is she good at that. She starts telling me how she never trusted what I would tell her. And how I would always be with other women, and she doesn’t care about my personal life. And how I never listened to what she said. And you were with me; you know I didn’t cheat on her until we were as over and dead as a doornail. And that shouldn’t count. How long were we married in name only? Years! I mean what did I do to her? She knew who she was marrying and all the shit that came with it. And when we got divorced she got custody of the kids, and a house, and left me alone and empty. Seriously what else could she want? Then she comes down with Steph and starts giving me orders of when to be back. And when I went after her to talk to her she kept calling Steph her daughter. I even asked her what was up, and she told me how selfish I was being, I wish I knew what made that woman tick. I’ve known her almost 30 years and I still haven’t got a clue.”


“Look the last five years or so that you were together she treated you like this. I’m not saying its right, but what made this different?” Richie asked.


“I dunno it was just like it was personal. Like she was mad at me, not the idea of me, or our failed marriage.”


“Look, if you don’t shoot the messenger, I think I may know what’s up with her. I can’t be sure but I have my sources.” Richie said, trying to help his friend.


“Whatever you can say, to have this make a little sense would be perfect.” Jon said hoping to make sense of the mess.


“Well Alexis, was talking to someone who said that Dot’s been seeing someone. And I wasn’t sure, so I had her do some digging, and evidentially she’s been seeing this guy since before the divorce was finalized and things are getting kinda serious. He’s over at the house and everything with the kids. Look man I’m sorry but this is probably, somehow, what has her so pissy.”


Jon was shocked. He had lost his wife years ago, in any sense that mattered, but it still hurt to hear that she had moved on so easily. And she had attacked him for the thought of spending time with a woman, when she had been the one seeing someone. Her guilty conscious had gotten the best of her. Oh god I wonder if they’re sleeping together, in the house with my kids. And why does Richie have his personal assistant spying on his ex-wife?


“Jon, man, are you ok? Maybe I shouldn’t have told you.” Richie said with concern.


“No I’m ok. I just hurts. I’d rather hear it from you than anyone else. I can’t believe this is what has her mad at me. I should be mad at her. Hell I am mad at her. I shouldn’t have, had to hear this form you. She should have told me. Especially if he’s in the kids lives. God I don’t even want to think about this now. I’ll deal with her in the morning.” Jon said, still in disbelief of what he had heard.


“Ok changing the subject.” Richie said pouring his friend another glass of wine, and Jon mumbled his thanks. “This bottle’s empty I’m gonna go grab another I think were gonna need it. You and your thoughts gonna be ok for a minute?” Jon nodded and started on his fresh glass of wine as Richie left the room.


After a minute Richie returned with a fresh bottle and placed it on the coffee table. “Hey tell me about Steph. She seems like she’s doing good. No?”


“She is but I miss her, and I know she misses me. But it’s hard. Dot keeps her busy when I’m home, and if she doesn’t Steph’s a 15 year old girl who can’t imagine not spending everyday with her friends. But she says stuff sometimes that hurts. She doesn’t mean it like that but it hurts all the same. Like to day she called me to tell me that she missed me. How could that not break your heart? And then she said ‘I used to live here remember daddy?’ We were always the closest, and I think Dot was jealous of that. It’s not that I didn’t love the boys just as much, but she was my first, and I was home a lot when she was really little. With all the boys I was out on the road before they were a year old, so I missed that time. I just keep telling myself that this is gonna get easier.” Jon said feeling emotional exhausted.


“Hey I don’t know what I can say to help you. After time things did get easier as a routine was developed with me and Ava, but it was tough at first. Just hang in there and let her know that you’re always there for her. That’s all you can do. Hey man things have to get better right? And what’s this about a woman? That always makes my day better.” Richie said trying to cheer up his friend. Jon’s eyes lit up, and he smiled. He almost forgot about the woman he had met today. Richie got back into “Tween mode” as he saw his friend light up. “Like totally spill the juicy details. Like was she pretty. Like did she have big boobs? Like did you bang her?” Jon almost spit his wine out with that one.


“Don’t ever let me hear you say that in that voice. Oi! The day I hear that is the day I lock my kids in the house!” Jon said with a laugh.


Richie continued in character. “Like what’s she like? Did you kiss her?” Jon’s eyes twinkled. Richie’s voice changed at once. “Oh my god you did, not I need to know, who’s got my Johnny all starry eyed.”


“Her name is Melissa, she runs the children’s program at the hospital I was at today. Which was fantastic, by the way, you’re gonna have to go with me next time. But she is absolutely stunning. Her name is Melissa-“


“Ooooh. Johnny and Melissa, sitting in a tree” Richie started to taunt.


Jon punched him in the arm. “Shut up, do you want me to finish?” Richie nodded eagerly. “Her name is Melissa Blake, and she works with the kids. She was just amazing with them. She knew each one by name, and you could see the difference she was making in their lives. It was amazing to watch. And she was professional with me; she wasn’t all star struck or anything. When I was leaving I talked to her for a couple of minutes, and I told her I’d love to come back.”


“I’m sure you do.” Richie snickered.


“Hey the kids were great too. I’m not all about the women. So anyway when we were leaving I’m thinking ‘Jon this is the time to do something’ so I gave her a hug goodbye and then a little kiss. Yes on the lips. But I didn’t want to push, in case her boyfriend was a body builder or something. It was short and sweet. And her tongue didn’t end up in my mouth like what happens with the girls on tour.” Jon said laughing.


“Now Jon this is all sweet but what does she look like. That’s the important part.” Richie said.


“Some things never change for you huh man? Well she is beautiful. She’s got this long blond curly hair that I just wanted to touch. Is that pathetic? And her eyes, god they look like the ocean.”


“Boy are you a songwriter, aint no denying that! And the boobs. Richie’s gotta know about the boobs.”


“God do you have a one track mind. She is more than ample in that department. And she’s not to short like every other woman I’ve ever been with. She’s like as tall as Tico. Did I just compare a beautiful woman to Tico? God help me, I think I’ve been on the road too long.” Jon said in disbelief.


“Man it sounds like you were bitten by the love bug. When are you gonna see her again? And can I tag along to see if she has any friends?”


“Oh I dunno I’ll have to call her office and see. When do you want to go up with me?” Jon asked.


“What are you talking about? I’m not talking about the hospital, dinner, a date something like that man?” Richie said afraid of the answer he was gonna get.


“I told you I didn’t want to push it-” Jon started.


“For Christ sake you’re JON BON JOVI. You couldn’t ask her to dinner? No one says no to Jon Bon Jovi! I’ve been with you how long?” Richie said shaking his head. “Do you have her card or something?”

Jon reached and took out his wallet. Richie grabbed it before Jon could find the card. His eyes lit up and he grabbed Jon’s phone. “Here it has her cell phone number on it” Richie said as he began to dial. “And send” He handed Jon the phone just as it began to ring.


“What are you doing? I can’t just.” Jon said puzzled at what to say. “I think it’s gonna go to her voicemail. Should I leave a message?”


“Of course, remember you’re Jon Bon Jovi. She can’t resist. Let me listen I wanna hear her voice.” Richie said as he moved closer to hear.


Hi this is Melissa Blake, head of the children’s program for extended treatment, at Hackensack University Medical Center. I’m sorry I couldn’t take your call. Please leave me a message, with your name, organization, message, the phone number that I can best reach you at, and what time would be convenient to return your call. Thank you and have a wonderful day.”


The phone beeped and Jon panicked as he realized it was his time to leave the message.


*******


After a delicious dinner of linguini and clams, Melissa racked her brain to see if there was a single detail she forgot. The clock on the TV read 10:35, they had been talking for nearly 5 hours. She had told Angela and Tommy, about how they had met, and how he was eager to spend time with each family. She told them how Jon had spent a great deal of time with Lindsay, a 12-year-old breast cancer patient going through chemotherapy at the hospital.


Melissa had spent a lot of time with Lindsay during her stay; there was something captivating about her spirit. She was hospitalized a few weeks earlier with stage 4 cancer, but her spirit remained hopeful. While her family prepared for the worst and prayed for the best Lindsay was sure to soak up each experience and memory that she could. She had a mastectomy shortly after she was admitted and was now battling through the effects of chemo. She had lost her hair almost immediately, but remained positive asking Melissa if she could play with her hair instead. Lindsay’s prognosis looked bleak, according to her doctors, but she didn’t care as she always had a smile on her face and was often found playing with other patients. Jon, like so many others, seemed to be drawn to her and Lindsay couldn’t help but soak in every minute. It didn’t hurt either that she was a big fan.


Melissa then told them how gracious he was, as he offered to help clean up the mess and then how he told her how much he enjoyed his time and respected the program that she ran. She was sure to show off her letter, with his open offer to return. Melissa was also sure to mention that he was quite a flirt, but being vague enough to try to avoid some questions to no avail.


“A flirt? Was he harassing my Mel Bell? Do I need to track him down and teach him a lesson?” Tommy asked jokingly.


“Lay a hand on him and that’s grounds for divorce mister.” Angela threatened. “What kind of flirty? I swear Tommy I’m quitting and working at the hospital full time! Tommy I’m telling you right now that I’m not working the day that they come back.”


Angela was a pediatric nurse at the same hospital Melissa worked at, until a few years ago when Tommy and Angela got married. Tommy’s parents had given their restaurant in town to them shortly after, so they could retire. Tommy spent four or five nights a week at the restaurant overseeing shipments and customers. Angela was there when she could to help of the business end, so she had to cut back her work at the hospital to part time only 3 days a week. Tommy and Angela had been together since freshman year of college, and since early on they had had the “three of us against the world” mentality. They were each other’s family, and that’s all Melissa needed.


“I dunno what kind of flirt. The kind of flirt you imagine Jon Bon Jovi to be. And I doubt that they’d actually come back and play. He probably says that to everyone. I’ll probably never see him again, but god was it a good day!” Melissa said trying to bring herself back to earth.


“Oh come on Mel this isn’t just some guy it’s our guy. And he likes you. Mel you’ve gotta do something. And I think that I’ve been more than patient so tell me: a kiss? A KISS! My Mel was kissing my Johnny?” Angela urged.


“What do you mean ‘my Johnny’? What about my Tommy?” Tommy asked, but both girls ignored him.


“What do you mean I’ve got to do something? What exactly do you recommend that I do? Ask him to come back and lock him in my office or something? And it wasn’t a real kiss it was more or less a thanks for coming kiss you give a relative, but no one can take that away from me. But it certainly got your attention didn’t it. I swear the girls he kisses at concerts got a little more than I did.”


“Well that could work I’m sure but I wasn’t thinking so drastic but I like it. And according to that plan I’m sure you would want me to just give him a shot of something so we could hold him hostage, right? And he kissed you Melissa Blake, not blond with boobs third row. That is sooo different. Flirting and kissing, should I start on the china patterns?” Angela said cunningly.


“Come on Ang, I’m sure there’s a plan in there somewhere, let me hear it.” Melissa said almost afraid of what she was about to hear.


“Oh don’t give me that look. I mean technically you have his number from some sort of paperwork, if you were to give him a call; I mean really what do you have to lose? If he thinks your nuts then he goes back to being perfect and you’re stuck with us. And if you end up getting married, it’ll be because of my ingenious plan that you didn’t want to even hear.” Angela said.


Melissa felt an all too familiar feeling of uneasiness and she looked from one friend to another looking for some sort of an out. When no one said anything she felt panic creeping up on her. Melissa literally jumped off the couch when she heard her phone ring. Jon’s familiar voice rang out from her purse, “The first time I saw you it felt like coming home, If I never told you I just want you to know, you had me from hello.” She walked over to her purse on the counter, and she could hear Angela and Tommy whispering. She looked at her phone though she knew there was no one that she wanted to talk to right now. 732-039-2850, she didn’t know the number so she let it ring to voicemail. After a minute she heard her voicemail ring, “Shinning like a diamond, rolling with the dice, standing on the ledge, I’ll show you the wind how to fly.” She took a breath and dialed her voicemail never turning to look back at Tommy and Angela. When asked for her password she entered “0429”. “Message One”


“Hi Melissa,” Wait; thought Melissa, I know that voice. It can’t be…I must be imagining this. Maybe I passed out or something. “This is Jon umm…Bon Jovi. I just wanted to thank you again for the opportunity you presented me with at the hospital today. I already contacted some of the guys and we are looking forward to playing around the holidays. I was also wondering I could take you out to dinner sometime. Give me a call back, my number is 732-450-2695, that’s my house number but you’ll probably reach me best on my cell, which is 732-039-2850. Thanks Melissa, have a good night. BEEP-” There was another voice in the background but she couldn’t make out who it was, and hung up the phone.


“Oh my god!” Before she knew what was happening her she had dropped the phone and Angela came over to see what had happened. Melissa gestured to her phone on the floor and looked at her friend in utter disbelief. Angela grabbed the phone and after hitting dialing the voicemail began to listen. Angela had the identical reaction as Melissa, with a bit more screaming.


“Come back over here and bring that phone.” Tommy called from the couch.


The girls walked back over and took a seat. Melissa hadn’t said anything, just sitting and staring in disbelief. Angela took the phone and put it on speaker for everyone to hear and replayed the message. “Hi Melissa. This is Jon umm…Bon Jovi. I just wanted to thank you again for the opportunity you presented me with at the hospital today. I already contacted some of the guys and we are looking forward to playing around the holidays. I was also wondering I could take you out to dinner sometime. Give me a call back, my number is 732-4500-2695, that’s my house number but you’ll probably reach me best on my cell, which is this number 732-039-2850. Thanks Melissa, have a good night. BEEP-”


Melissa looked around still in disbelief. He friends looking at her enviously. She couldn’t speak and waited for someone else to say something.


Angela was first to speak. “So when are you calling him? Tonight or wait until the morning?”


“What?” Melissa asked trying to focus her thoughts. “I can’t call him. I can’t go out with him.”


“Are you kidding? This is Jon Bon Jovi? Are you listening? You don’t say no to Jon Bon Jovi. What the hell are you thinking?” Angela said trying to hold back her emotions so she didn’t end up yelling. “Hell if you don’t go I will!”


“You know why I can’t go. Jon Bon Jovi the rock star I say yes to, in a heartbeat. Jon the man, I just can’t Ang. Especially not now, I mean-” Melissa said feeling frustrated with her lack of support.


“Look I know better than anyone where you’re coming from. I went through this all with you. But this is once in a lifetime. Melissa sweetie you’re gonna be sorry if you say no. One dinner wont hurt.” Angela said regaining her composure.


“She’s right you know.” Tommy started. “And I’m not just saying that because I’m married to her. I love you like a sister, but really its one dinner with a rock star. You have to go.”


“Guys I dunno. I-“ She looked at her two friends who were standing their ground. “I don’t even know anything about him.”


“Good if you believe that then you wont look like a stalker, because you and me know far too much about him.” Angela said laughing.


“You know what I mean.” Melissa said still hesitant. Angela gave her a look. “Give me three reasons why I should.”


“Angela I’ve known you two long enough I think I can take this.” Tommy said. “A-hem. One, his eyes. Two, his smile. Three, oh-my-god, that ass.”


Angela and Melissa burst out laughing. “You really found a keeper, Angela. Ok I’ll go.” Melissa said and before she could change her mind Angela had her cell phone and was dialing. “What are you doing? I wouldn’t know what to say?”


“Do you want me to do this for you?” Angela asked.


“No I am more than capable of doing this myself.” Melissa said trying to convince herself.


“Ok lets role play.” Angela said, taking a deep voice. “Hello this is Jon.” Melissa laughed. “Come on what comes next? See I don’t think you can do this.” Angela had her finger on the send button. “Am I doing this or are you?”


“Go ahead, and don’t make me sound psycho, I’ve already met him remember?” Melissa said, almost regretting the freedom she had given her friend.


“Trust me!” Angela said and hit send, and listened to the phone ring.


Trust me, famous last words, Angela thought and waited to see what kind of magic her friend could come up with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great chapter!! Thanks for the info on the kiss. Melissa, you gotta go for it girl!! It's a once in a lifetime chance!!!

Looking forward to more.

Anonymous said...

The chapter was great! :)

Sheena