Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chapter 5

After two pizza pies and a bottle and a half of wine, Jon stood to clear the plates from the table. He turned to his daughter and asked, “Are you done, princess?”


“Oh dad I can get that.” Steph said getting to her feet quickly.


“Don’t worry about it Richie and I will take care of this stuff. Why don’t you and Ava go into the family room? It kinda misses how you and your brothers used to fight over what to watch. Go on we’ll be in, in a couple of minutes.” Jon told his daughter.


“Hey man don’t volunteer me for dish duty,” Richie said to his friend. He looked over at his daughter and saw her sitting in her chair looking like she could fall asleep at any minute. He looked over at the clock and saw it was 8:45. “Jon how is it that me and Ava got here at 7 o’clock and we don’t finish dinner for almost two hours when all we did was order a couple pies? Ava darling do you want me to carry you to the living room?”


“Yes daddy, I’m tired” Ava answered with a yawn.


“Yes ma’am. Miss Stephanie lead the way.” Richie said as he scooped up his daughter and turned to go.


“You’re not getting outta dishes that easy, you better get your butt back in here.” Jon called out after them.


Richie waved his hand in acknowledgment, as Jon grabbed the last of the plates. He walked them over to the sink. Why can’t I stop thinking about her? And why can’t I stop thinking about what Dot said? Am I really that transparent or was she overreacting? Melissa was amazing and I want to know more about her, to hell with my ex-wife. Yeah my ex-wife, why should she have any say in what I do. Jon’s thoughts were interrupted as he heard Richie come back in the kitchen.


“Damn you weren’t kidding about the living room missing the kids. It looks like its hardly been used since I was here months ago, except for when Amelia cleans it,” Richie said as he grabbed the bottle of wine.


“No shit man it’s just me here and the kids are hardly around. Who am I to fill this big house?” Jon said as he loaded the dishes into the dishwasher. “After the divorce I thought about keeping the place for sentimental reasons but moving to the city or north Jersey because this house is just a haunting reminder of what I had and lost. But then I didn’t want to be too far from the kids, even though that hasn’t really mattered of late.”


“Hey man what’s on your mind? I knew something was up, other than the obvious, when you wanted to do something. And just for the record, only Jon Bon Jovi could keep a 20 million dollar house ‘for sentimental purposes’. I mean most people, myself included, would just take a picture.”


“What, now I need a reason to hang out with my best friend? And this is the home where my kids grew up. The little boys took their first steps here and had all their holidays.” Jon said trying to keep an even head, not losing himself in self-pity.


“Seriously man what’s up? You know I worry about you when you get all sulky. I’m the one that does sulky; you’re the levelheaded one. You haven’t been yourself lately. Not even for sulking Jon.” Richie said as he finished clearing the table. He picked up the cork for the wine bottle and started to put it back in the bottle.


“Man what are you doing I’m gonna need that.” Jon said with a smile. “It’s been one hell of a day. And I’m gonna need you to be my soundboard here, up for it?”


“Hell yeah man, should I get another bottle?” Richie asked with a mischievous grin. “And Johnny, you had a bummer of a day? Tell me more, like oh-my-gowd, I need to know all the details!” Richie said in a girly voice doing his best impersonation of the teen and tween girls that they had spent the evening with.


“Fuck you man. And not a word about this to Steph, I’ll tell you everything once the girls are upstairs. Its gets pretty ugly, but god does it get pretty good too.” Jon said as he headed for the family room to check on the girls.


“Jon man you can’t leave me hanging like that. Come on they’ll never know we’re gone.” Richie called out after him.


After Jon didn’t return right away he followed Jon’s path back to their girls. When he made his way into the living room, glass of wine in hand, he found his daughter dead asleep on one of the couches, and Jon and Steph sitting next to each other on another couch. Richie sat next to his daughter and picked up her feet and put them across his lap, so he had room to sit.


“God Rich what did you two do today? She’s out cold.” Jon said as he watched his friend move his daughter without so much as a stir.


“Well she’s 10 so she’s an early riser. She was up at 7, so when I called you at 8:30 it was late for me dude. We were at the beach all day, and the sun and the waves really beat you. And then we were in the car for the better part of an hour. Do you mind if we crash here for the night I hate to drag her back to the car just to drive home. Unless you had something in the morning.” Richie said.


“Nope that’s fine Uncle Richie, as long as you both stop talking so I can watch.” Steph answered looking annoyed as she held the remote to the paused TV in her hand.


Jon gave Richie an approving nod. “Now you heard the lady, no more talking. Steph before we’re quiet just how did you manage to record this on this TV?”


“Well, when we moved out the first thing I did when I came back was record my General Hospital everyday so that when I was here I wouldn’t have to miss an episode, and then when I come over I erase what I’ve already seen. You mean in over a year you haven’t noticed?” Steph told her dad.


“I don’t really pay attention to what’s recorded in here.” Jon said as he shook his head.


Steph sighed as she hit the play button, and the soap resumed. Jon had never understood the fascination with daytime television. His wife had watched as long as he knew her, and his daughter had started watching a few years ago. He had always thought of it as a type of cult, because people were so involved with the characters and god forbid they miss an episode, the world may actually end. But after the kids moved out, Jon had made it a purpose to pay attention to his daughter’s favorite when he was home during the day. And pretty soon he began watching it with her when she would come over and put it on. In a weird way it was his way of staying connected to his daughter when they were apart. He was nowhere near able to follow a story line on his own even after a year, but it gave him a perfect excuse to call his daughter. When they watched together Steph would usually get frustrated with all of his questions and kick him out or make them start over from the beginning. He didn’t mind, it was something he had with his daughter, that his wife couldn’t touch, for now.


Nearly 20 minutes into the episode Jon asked, “Now why exactly is it that Jack is Robin’s father but she calls him Uncle Jack?”


“Dad for the millionth time its Mac! And Mac’s brother Robert is Robin’s father who was married to Anna, yes that one, but when Robert and Anna were presumed dead after their boat exploded while on a spy mission together in the 90’s, Mac adopted Robin as his own.” Steph explained. Jon could tell that her patience was wearing thin but he was trying hard to keep up.


“OK so I think I’ve got it. Mac and Robin are uncle and niece right?” Jon asked and received an affirmative nod. “So that makes Maxie and Robin cousins yes?” Another nod, and suppressed laughter from Richie. “Because Mac is Maxie’s dad and that angry woman from the funeral, Felicia, is her mother.” Jon said happy with his conclusion.


“Oh Dad. They are cousins but Mac doesn’t have any kids. Mac used to be married to Felicia so when she wanted to take off with Frisco, but he became a spy again so that didn’t last, then they-Felicia and Mac- raised the kids as his and Felicia’s. Felicia left a couple years ago to take care of her grandmother in Texas. And if you really wanna be confused. Hold on let me think.” As she paused Jon stared at her in utter disbelief. Not only did his daughter spew this off as though she was reading it, she expected him to follow it. “OK I got it. Frisco’s ex-sister-in-law, through his brother Tony, is Carly’s mom.” Steph look satisfied with her conclusion but a little disappointed at her father’s lack of response.


“Steph, you know you really amaze me.” Jon said as he put his arm around his daughter’s shoulders.


“God Jon you amaze me for following more than the first sentence, where she yelled at you. I’m gonna go put Ava up in the “Sambora Suite”. You still call it that don’t you?” Richie said in awe of his friend.


“Yeah man its all yours.” Jon said as he watched Richie pick up his pseudo niece and head for the stairs.


“OK dad let me just watch till the next commercial and then I’ll finish upstairs.” Steph said, as she reached for the remote.


“Steph sweetie you don’t have to go, I think I got it now.” Jon said disappointed that his daughter was leaving.


“Don’t worry about it Dad I think you’ve taken as much GH as you can take for one day. And I am exhausted.” Steph answered as she leaned into to her dad and hit play.


As the scene started back up again, Jon sat in perfect contentment. He had his daughter with him, and they were snuggled up together like when she was little. Steph had always been a “daddy’s girl” since she was born, and the separation had been hard on both of them. But it was decided, in a rather dictator-esque way, that a teenage girl should stay with her mother. Definitely not a partying rock star that was not home nearly enough. It had made sense when it was decided, but they both missed their time together and their busy schedules made their time together rare and all the more precious.


Before Jon new it, the scene was over and Steph had changed the channel and put the remote in his lap. She stood, and he quickly followed.


“Ok dad I’m off to bed. Wake me when you’re ready for breakfast. I had fun tonight thanks.” Steph said, and leaned in to give her father a hug.


“I had a good time too. And next time it’s just the two of us I promise.” Jon said, still half regretting that he had double booked his evening. Even though without Richie he thought he may go crazy with the day he had.


“I told you dad no big deal. I love you, see you in the morning.” Steph said and turned to walk out.


“Hey Steph, do you want me to come up with you and make sure you’ve got everything you need?” Jon asked wanting to spend a little longer with his daughter, who promptly yawned.


“No I’m fine Dad. I’m 15 I think I’ll manage alright and hey, I used to live here remember.” He cringed when she said that. “Dad, I’m sorry I didn’t mean it like-“


“Stephanie don’t you ever apologize for something like that. You just stated a fact. I just miss you that’s all.” Jon walked over and took his daughters hands and gave them a little squeeze.


“OK Dad, but I’m gonna end up like Ava if I don’t get upstairs now. Can I talk to you in the morning before we leave for mom’s?” Steph asked as she yawned again, and released her dad’s hands, and turned to go.


“Of course, you know I’m always here for you. What no kiss for your old Dad?” Jon asked. She turned around and gave her dad another hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I love you so much Steph, you know that right?” She nodded, “I’ll be up to check on you in a little while, just to make sure.”


“Ok Daddy, I love you.” And with that she turned and walked out the door. From down the hall Jon could still hear her faintly. “Night Uncle Richie, maybe I’ll see you in the-yawn-morning. If not tell Ava I said goodbye.”


As Jon sat down on the couch Richie came through the door with the half empty bottle of wine. “Man do you actually follow that crap we were watching?”


“Hey its not crap, and it keeps us connected when were apart. Did you bring me a glass?” Jon asked as he reached for the bottle.


“Right here man. Now the girls are upstairs, spill.” Richie said as he handed over a wine glass.


“Give it a couple of minutes let me make sure Steph’s asleep, I don’t want her to hear any of this.” Jon said and picked up the remote and resumed the TV where Steph had left it. When Richie groaned Jon answered, “Look man give me 10 minutes, I’ve almost got the hang of this. Trust me the day I’ve had is worth the wait.”


Exactly 10 minutes later Richie grabbed the remote and changed the channel. “Hey man I wanna see who was hit by the car!” Jon said as he reached for the remote.


“No way, you can catch up in the morning if you really want. I gave you your time now give me my story.” Richie said as he held the remote hostage.


“OK, ok you win. It started out lousy with the remnants from last night. It’s been a year already can you believe it? Then I went out to that thing at the hospital, which was amazing, and I met this girl, well woman. God was she amazing, I can’t stop thinking about her. And then I went to pick up Steph and Dot was in rare form. It was like she tried to ruin my day. God I don’t know what’s up with her lately.” Jon said and got to his feet.


“Where the fuck do you think you’re going? We’re just getting started!” Richie said.


“Chill I’ll be back in a minute I just wanna make sure Steph has everything she needs.” Jon said, his mind still spinning from the day. “Look man when I get back my hearts gonna need some major repair. This woman definitely, captured a piece of it, my ex wife smashed it to bits like never before, and my daughter just broke a piece of it when I didn’t think she could anymore.”


Jon left the room and went upstairs. In the room next to his the light was on. He knocked softly, and when he heard no answer he opened it slowly. He found his daughter sound asleep on her bed with her TV still on and a note on the dresser. He walked over to her bed and pulled the blanket over her. He turned off the TV and read the note:


Daddy, I forgot toothpaste, so I borrowed yours. Hope you don’t mind. I guess I still need help after all. Love you! <3 Steph


He smiled as he read the note. It was nice to still feel needed, and loved by at least one member of his family. Jon shut off the light, and made his way downstairs leaving the note in his room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man!! How sweet is that!! She still needs her Dad.

And Dot needs to take a valium or get laid but either way, chill the hell out woman!! I think she's regretting her decision to toss him out & when he is happy, she gets even more pissed off. Drama Queen.

Can't wait for more. And yeah, like Tara said, details on the kiss & soon please!!

Colleen