Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chapter 39

Melissa heard the door open and turned to see Jon standing in the doorway. She rocked the infant in her arms as she smiled at him. “Hey, is it noon already,” she asked walking over to him.

Jon looked at his watch, “Actually its almost 12:30. Who is this?”

“This little angle is Kelly, isn’t she precious,” Melissa asked.

“She really is,” Jon said looking at the tiny face with a head full of dark brown curls ad big brown eyes looking back at him. “What’s wrong with her, where are her parents?” Melissa let out a little growl and looked at him with a deep scowl. “Mel, did you just growl at me?’

“Sorry, it just makes me so mad. How could anyone not want this little girl,” Melissa asked settling into a rocker as Jon sat across from her. “She was brought in Monday morning, after she was left at a local police station. The safe haven laws protect the parents from abandonment charges if they leave her at a hospital or police station or firehouse. She was left with a diaper bag with her name on it in a car seat, doesn’t that just make you fume? They checked her out and she appeared to be fine, but when she wouldn’t let any of the NICU nurses pick her up they ran some more tests and it looks like she was probably a shaken baby. X-rays showed some healed over fractures and she was afraid to be picked up. It broke my heart so when she got moved down here, I’ve been with her, holding her when she’s awake and now she’s much more responsive.”

Jon watched Melissa holding her as she spoke; she looked like a natural with the little girl. He soon felt a flood of emotions wash over him as he watched a woman that he was slowly falling in love with and a baby together. He never thought he would have more children after Romeo, but seeing them together made him reconsider. Stop it Jon, he scolded himself, you can’t possibly be thinking of starting a family with her just yet. But she does look right with the baby. “So if there’s nothing really wrong with her, why is she up here,” he asked snapping himself out of his own head.

“It happens all the time, if we have an open bed we get some overflow from the other pediatric departments. The doctor’s think she’ll be discharged by the beginning of next week. She probably could’ve gone home today but we’re trying to keep her here until DYFS can find a semi-permanent foster home so she doesn’t get bounced around,” Melissa said rocking.

“And the parents,” Jon asked.

“They usually don’t change their mind,” Melissa said.

“No I mean what are they gonna do when they find them,” Jon asked.

“They probably won’t go looking for them, unless they stumble across them. They think it would discourage people from using the safe haven locations if their anonymity isn’t protected and they’re charged. There wasn’t concrete enough evidence of shaken baby and she’s gonna be fine so they’ll probably never be found,” Melissa said in dismay. “You wanna hold her? I see you looking.”

“Sure,” Jon said standing to take the baby from Melissa. It felt so right for him to have a baby in his arms again. “She really is a happy baby. I know Romeo was colicky and every time I called the house, it didn’t matter what time it was day or night, he would just be screaming. It was horrible, but not this little one.”

Melissa used the opportunity to shake out her arms, for such a little baby she sure was heavy after holding her for the last three hours. She was certainly enjoying watching Jon “baby talk” to her, and held in her giggles. She heard the baby noises die down and walked over to the baby. “Looks like you’re a natural, you got her back to sleep. I guess it’s like riding a bike,” she said.

“I guess so. How old is she,” Jon asked.

“They think somewhere between eight and twelve weeks, but they can’t be sure,” Melissa said.

“Well she looks absolutely perfect, seems like someone’s been taking special care of her,” Jon said smiling at Melissa. “What are you gonna do now that she’s asleep?”

“You can put her back in here,” Melissa said wheeling over the hospital bassinette. “And I brought some work to do in here, so I can hear her if she waked up or needs something. What about you? What’s on the agenda for today?”

Jon gently laid the baby down and looked at Melissa. “Well first things first, I’d love to give you a kiss.”

Melissa stepped into him and put her arms around his neck, “And what exactly is stopping you?”

“I think I got a cold thing yesterday and I’d hate to get you sick,” Jon said with a pout.

“You seem to forget that I work in a hospital so I have a pretty good immune system. Anyway I think I’ll take my chances,” she said leaning in to kiss him.

When they pulled away he smiled at her, “You’re a brave woman.”

“I’m a modern day Xena,” she teased. “What else are you planning while you’re here?”

“Well I’ve got patients to see, but I left the guitar at home if that’s what you were asking,” Jon said seeing a bit of disappointment in her eyes.

“Well then I guess you should go get on that. We still on for dinner,” she asked.

“Absolutely,” Jon said.

“Perfect, because I wanna hear all about your week. Especially that colossal fight Monday morning,” Melissa said.

“How did you hear about that,” Jon asked, as he hadn’t spoken to Melissa since Sunday night.

“A certain someone may have asked if I went to work Monday, and then vented for a bit before seeing the error of her ways,” Melissa said.

“I’m sorry she shouldn’t be bothering you,” Jon said embarrassed.

“Don’t be silly, it was entertaining on a slow Monday. I wouldn’t have given her my number if I didn’t want her to have it. This way she has an older woman to talk to if she needs to, this way you don’t have to hear all the details. I didn’t expect her to use it, but I was happy when she did,” Melissa answered.

“You’re sure she wasn’t bothering you,” Jon asked.

“Absolutely not,” she answered with a kiss. “But you should go otherwise we’re never gonna get outta here today.”

“Ok I’m going. I’ll be back to check on you later,” Jon said before checking on the baby on his way out the door.

***

Around seven o’clock that night Jon pulled into one of Melissa’s favorite diners for dinner. Rather than going to Gracie’s like they usually did Wednesday’s, Jon felt the need for a good diner to get a pork roll sandwich, which he had been craving since that morning. They were seated in a booth in one of the back rooms, perfect for remaining out of plain sight as Jon had forgotten his usual baseball cap.

They sat for a few minutes before a waitress appeared to take their order, in which time Melissa had continued the verbal assault on his coat. He made a mental note not to wear it again unless it was really that cold and then he could gloat from the warmth of the down.

“Are you ready to order,” a harried waitress asked them not knowing or caring who Jon was.

“Yes,” Jon said thankful for the break in the assault on his coat. “I’ll have a pork roll sandwich with cheese, a side of fries with gravy and a coke, please.”

“And you,” the waitress said to Melissa scribbling down Jon’s order.

“I’ll have the same,” Melissa said handing the waitress their menus and she nodded and walked away.

“I have a question for you,” Jon said taking a more serious tone.

“Ok, shoot,” Melissa said curiously as it wasn’t very often that he took a tone like this.

“Answer me honestly,” he asked.

“Umm, ok,” Melissa agreed.

“Did you mean it when you said you wanted to meet my parents,” he asked.

“Of course, I want to meet your family. Why,” Melissa asked.

“My mom called this morning and she said that she and my dad were flying up tomorrow for a couple days to see the kids and my sister in law’s pregnant and mom wanted to see if she could help. I think she said they’re leaving to go back to Florida early next week. I didn’t mention you incase you wanted to hold off on meeting them and I wanted to tell my mom in person,” Jon said. “I guess what I’m asking is, do you want to meet my parents while they’re up for the weekend?”

Melissa looked at him not knowing what her answer was. “Well, I mean I do want to meet them, but I’ve never done the whole ‘meet the parents thing’ before I’ll warn you. And aren’t you not telling Dorothea and the boys?”

“My parents are gonna love you because they’ll be able to see how happy you make me, and I’m sure they can keep a secret from my ex. With that being said, I’m leaving this up to you. Whatever you feel comfortable with is fine with me, I don’t wanna force them on you or anything,” Jon said unable to read her.

“What were you thinking,” Melissa said.

“That’s up to you. What are our plans for Saturday,” Jon asked.

“I’m not telling,” she said.

“I kinda figured that but like when,” he asked.

“Oh I was thinking dinner maybe and then I’ve got something planned after,” she answered secretively.

“How about a late lunch, early dinner thing with my parents and then if they drive you nuts we have an excuse to get outta there,” Jon offered.

“Nope sounds good,” Melissa said. “I’m gonna need some pointers though about your parents, I know nothing. I’m sure Angela could fill me in but I’d rather it come from you. I think Angela actually met your mom a couple times way back in the day.”

Jon thanked the waitress for their drinks before he continued. “Well both of my parents were marines, that’s how they met.”

“So no pressure,” Melissa said.

“But you’d never know it, by meeting them. They weren’t the super strict parents or anything like that. My mom was a model before she met my dad and then I was little she was a Playboy Bunny in the city. She was also a florist for a little while when my parents were first married, not many people know that. And then of course she ran the fan club for a while. She’s a little protective of me, but she wants to see me happy so she’ll love you. Her and Dot rarely had any problems because she didn’t want to make things awkward for me, which I appreciate so much. And she loves being a grandmother. She says I’m her favorite because I gave her the most grandkids. She may be a little cool at first but she’ll warm up quick,” Jon said wondering how to explain his mother.

“Ok, got it,” Melissa said as the waitress delivered their food.

“My dad is one of those guys who just loves everyone. No worries there, except I’ll warn you that he’s very charming,” he said laughing.

“So that’s where you get that from,” Melissa said taking a bite of her sandwich.

“Oh yeah, he’s the calm, cool, goes with the flow type. He’s just like my brother Matt. They’re identical, and Tony’s a little of me and a little of Matt,” Jon said.

“Will I be meeting them too,” Melissa asked, not knowing how much family she could take at once without being too overwhelmed.

“Probably not. Tony’s in LA, unless there’s something I don’t know. And Matt’s pretty busy with his wife and the girls,” Jon said.

“She’s pregnant you said?”

“Yeah Matt’s married to Desiree, they’ll be married four years in April. Matt has a daughter from an ex-girlfriend, Riley, who’s ten, his and Desiree’s daughter Isabel will be two next month, and Desiree is pregnant with a little boy due in November, I think. It’s hard to keep track of it all. He’s got his hands full, I’ll tell you. Between all that and he owns a restaurant in Sea Bright he keeps busy,” Jon said.

“You better be careful, it sounds like he’s catching up to you. You may not be mom’s favorite much longer,” Melissa teased.

“He’d love that. It’s a good thing he works for me, I’ve got something to hold over him,” Jon said.

“Brother’s, I never understood that,” Melissa said shaking her head.

“This is a fantastic sandwich, as you promised. I think it may be one of the best I’ve had, and I’ve seen many a diners in my day,” Jon said finishing the last bite of his dinner.

“I told you, even though you probably should’ve just had a big bowl of soup for that cold and some tea,” Melissa half scolded.

“That’s all I was allowed to eat yesterday, I was ready for some real food. Man cannot live on soup alone,” he teased.

“Can I getcha anything else,” the waitress interrupted as she cleared their plates.

They looked from one to another and shook their heads. “Just the check please,” Jon asked and she left it on the table as she left.

“I always said if I ever started to think too much of myself all I had to do was come back to Jersey and go to a diner. It’s no nonsense, I’m just like any other guy here,” Jon said getting his wallet.

“Would you want it any other way,” Melissa asked.

“Absolutely not,” Jon said counting out his money for the bill and tip.

Melissa gathered her things and didn’t notice the woman standing in front of the table until she spoke. “I’m so sorry to interrupt you,” she started.

“Can I help you,” Jon asked as Melissa held her breath remembering her last encounter with a fan.

“I saw you just got your check and I couldn’t not say anything or I’d be kicking myself. I’m a big fan of yours Mr. Bon Jovi,” she started.

“Jon, please,” he said smiling.

“Ok Jon, I’m a big fan and I just had to let you know that I was at the show Saturday and it was amazing. I took my five-year-old daughter for the first time and she had a wonderful time,” the woman said nervously.

“Well I’m glad she enjoyed herself, did you,” Jon asked.

“Of course I always do,” she answered. “Anyway I wont keep you, I just wanted to tell you that I love your show.”

“Well thanks a lot, that’s always nice to hear,” Jon said. “Do you have a second before you go?”

“Of course,” the woman answered.

“Mel you got a pen,” Jon asked and she dug in her purse for one and handed it over. “Thanks, what’s her name?”

“What,” the woman asked a little confused.

“Your daughter, what’s her name,” Jon asked turning over the paper placemat.

“Oh um, Colleen,” she answered.

“It’s a pretty name, C-o-l-l-e-e-n” Jon asked as he began to write.

“Yes,” she answered.

“Can I ask you a question,” Melissa asked the woman as Jon wrote.

“Of course,” the woman answered.

“How did you know it was him,” Melissa asked. She had always wondered if she would know if she happened to be sitting in the booth next to Jon or any of the guys and wanted to know how this woman knew for sure before interrupting perfect strangers.

“I was pretty sure it was him, but I knew it was when I saw the coat,” the woman said.

Melissa nearly spit out her drink as Jon gave her a look. Melissa nodded at the woman as Jon finished writing and showed it to Melissa.

Colleen, always remember your first show 9/20/09, keep rockin’! Love Jon Bon Jovi PS: Tell your mom I said hi…

He seemed satisfied with what he had written and handed it to the woman. “How’s this, just in case she doesn’t believe you,” Jon offered.

“This is wonderful thank you so much,” she said. “Have a wonderful evening.”

“Thanks you too,” Jon said as she left their table.

“She was nice,” Melissa said.

“That’s how they usually are,” Jon said gathering the now infamous coat.

“And that was sweet what you wrote,” she said.

“Hey I’m a sweet guy, what can I say,” he teased.

They left the restaurant and headed back to Melissa’s apartment to drop her off. It was only a few minutes from the diner and Jon was beginning to be able to find his way around her town easily and he pulled into a spot in the parking lot. Melissa dug out her keys before leaving the warmth of the car and Jon opened her door for her and offered his puffy arm to her. She took it as the hurried into the building and up the stairs to her apartment.

“I usually leave you here but can I come in for a minute before I head home,” Jon asked.

“Sure,” Melissa said opening the door as three hungry cats came flying from all directions. “Let me feed them a minute and them I’m all yours.”

Melissa moved into the kitchen and took their bowls from the counter and began scooping canned food into the bowls before putting them on the ground.

“Can I use you ihome a minute,” Jon called from her living room.

“Sure whatever you want,” Melissa said watching her three cats devour their dinner. “You would think I never feed you and there’s not a bowl of dry food on the floor in the corner,” she said to them.

Once they finished she picked up the bowls and filled them with water in the sink before she joined Jon in the living room. “What’s up,” she asked watching him grinning on the couch.

(Because I'm not as tech-savy as Tara, not for lack of trying I assure you, here is the link for the song...)

“Dance with me,” he asked.

“Seriously,” she said.

“Absolutely,” he said. “I was gonna play for you today, but the voice wasn’t really up to it. Besides I’d rather be dancing with you.”

“Then let’s dance,” she said as she took his hand when he offered it. He began to dance with her, without music before she interrupted. “I was under the impression that there would be music to go along with this.”

“Picky, picky, picky,” he said as he hit play on the ihome and an unfamiliar beat flooded through the speakers.

As the verse started Jon began to sing low in her ear.

Hello, baby, it's only me.
I know you're tired, it's been a long hard week.
I was thinking maybe if you ain't got no plans.
I just wanna be your man,
Tonight I wanna be your man.

“Oh yeah? You wanna be my man,” she asked and he nodded before he continued.

Know what you're thinking, that you've got your doubts.
I'm the only one that knows what your dreams are about.
If you say no then I will understand,
I just wanna be your man.
Tonight I wanna be your man.

She had to laugh as he answered her and the song played on.

“I know I upset you this weekend,” he started, “But I wanted to make it perfectly clear to you that I’m in this for real.”

“Thank you,” she said and gave him a quick kiss. “This means more to me than you know. I think I should write a sequel to this.”

“Oh yeah and what would you call it,” Jon asked.

It’s about damn time,” she said and laughed as his shocked face. “I’m just kidding, how about I just wanna be your woman?”

“Sounds perfect,” Jon said as the song came to a close. “And I think that’s my cue, I should be getting home to Steph.”

“Well thank you for everything today,” she said not really wanting him to leave but knowing that he had to.

“It was my pleasure,” Jon said letting go and grabbing his ipod from the speaker system. “I’ll call you when I know about Saturday.”

“I didn’t think I’d be saying this, but I really am looking forward to it,” Melissa said giving him a kiss goodnight at the door.

“Night Mel,” Jon said opening the door.

“Night,” she said as he left. When he was almost at the stairs she called after him, “Mr. Michelin Man,” as Jon shook his head.

I don’t think I’m ever gonna wear this damn thing again, he thought as he walked down to his car.

Upstairs Melissa was busy preparing for her big meeting with his parents. She looked at the clock, which read 9:15, and she picked up the phone to call Angela. “Hey its me can you come over?”

“I’m on my way to the car. Tommy I’ll be back later. Two minutes,” Angela said before hanging up.

That was only part of it, she thought as she dialed her phone. “Hey Richie, it’s Melissa. Are you busy?”

“Never to busy for you,” he answered brightly.

“I think I’m gonna need your help,” she said as she heard a knock at the door.

“What can I help you with,” he asked as Melissa let Angela in.

“I’m meeting Jon’s parents this weekend,” Melissa said.

“What,” was her stereo response from both of them.

“I’m gonna need some prepping here. Jon told me his parent’s are nothing to worry about, but this is big,” Melissa said. “I have to make a good impression.”

“Not that you could not make a good impression,” Richie said. “Lemme tell you what I’ve learned about the Bongiovis over the past 25 years.”

“Perfect hold on lemme put you on speaker,” Melissa said opening the phone ready to take mental notes for the rest of the night.

4 comments:

Bayaderra said...

A big Awww on the "baby in her/his arms sceene"! Jon if you are planning on continuing your relationship with Mel, you better plan on making your mom happy few more times!
Love how Melissa is getting ready to meet his parents...
And finally, the coat is not THAT horrible... just funny looking.

Scarlett said...

Funny looking absolutely! I still can't believe that he went to a store picked it out, tried it on, and said "Yeah, this looks good...I think I'll take it." The more I see him in it (thanks to the Oprah pictures) the more it confuses me!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I need to see a picture of Jon and this much maligned coat!! Remember, I'm still a new bee, so some of this stuff I don't know!!

Loved the new chapters!! Love the closeness they are starting to gain!

Linda

Bayaderra said...

hey Linda,
here is a picture of Jon in THAT coat LOL!
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/bayaderra/JonandJesse.jpg