Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chapter 45

Jon spent a majority of the night on the oversized armchair across the room. He dozed off a couple times and each time he went to check on her. Around four o’clock Jon heard her moaning in her sleep and he went over to check on her. He saw her breathing was heavy and she was in a cold sweat. He called her gently as he placed his hand on her arm and she awoke in a near pant.

“Are you ok? You sounded like you were in pain,” he asked softly.

“Yeah, pain,” she said calming her breathing.

“It’s just about time for you to be able to take your medication, do you want me to get it for you,” he asked.

“Please,” she said and he went to the bathroom to get a glass of water and two pills.

When he returned she was sitting up a little with a confused and pained look on her face. “Here you go,” he said handing her the pills and then the glass of water.

She took the pills quickly and drank most of the water before handing the glass back to him. “Thank you,” she said quietly.

“Anything else I can get you?”

“What time is it,” she asked unable to find a clock.

“It’s a little before four,” he answered.

“Did I keep you up,” she asked groggily.

“Don’t worry about me, is there anything else you need?”

“No, I’ll be fine. Wait can I use a phone,” she asked still a little disoriented.

“Of course,” he said taking the cordless phone from the night table. “I’m just gonna put this downstairs and give you a little privacy, you sure you don’t want anything?”

“Positive, thank you,” she said as he left the room.

She quickly dialed Angela’s number, which again went to voicemail, and the house number, which rang until Melissa gave up after a few minutes of ringing. He knocked on the door before he came back in to see her putting the phone back in its cradle.

“Angela still isn’t answering,” he asked.

“How did you-“

“I think I know you well enough to know that’s who you’d be calling at four in the morning. We’ll hunt her down in the morning, you need to get some sleep,” he said giving her a kiss on the forehead.

“Ok, night,” she said before lying back down and closing her eyes.

Jon sat on the bed next to her watching her before until she fell asleep. Once he was sure she was asleep he headed back down to the kitchen for something to snack on or maybe just something to drink. He made his way down the stairs and through the hallways to the kitchen and began looking through the refrigerator.

“Shit man what are you doing up? You’re not just getting home are you,” said a voice from behind him.

Jon grabbed the half empty bottle of wine from lunch, shut the refrigerator door and looked at Richie who had an evil grin on his face. “Fuck man you scared the shit outta me.”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to sneak up on you, but answer the question,” Richie said.

“What are you doing up,” Jon asked.

I couldn’t sleep and I was up late writing so I came down for something to eat. But don’t deflect the question,” Richie said.

“No I didn’t just get home. We got home around midnight,” Jon started.

“We? You mean both of you? Came back here,” Richie asked excitedly.

“Yeah, but its not what you think,” Jon started.

“Oh yes it is. She met the parents, she took you out for a surprise date, then you came back here and ya know,” Richie said wiggling his eyebrows.

“No, god do you have a one track mind.”

“Um, what the hell am I supposed to think when you bring your girlfriend back to your house and you’ve had her in your room all night. I mean I’d be a little surprised, but come on it was the natural conclusion,” Richie said sitting on a barstool at the counter. “What happened then?”

Jon took a seat next to him taking the bottle with him. “Well she’s a gymnast did you know that?”

“No, they seemed to have left that out. I bet she’s smokin’,” Richie said with a grin.

“You know that’s my girlfriend right,” Jon asked.

“I’m not touching, I’m just looking. Admiring, if you will,” Richie said.

“Well admire a little quieter, will ya,” Jon said.

“Since you didn’t answer she must look really great,” Richie said smiling.

“Fuck you. Anyway she had a little accident at the gym and we ended up in the hospital,” Jon said through a yawn.

“Oh my god, is she ok,” Richie asked.

“She’ll be fine, she just dislocated her shoulder. Evidentially she’s done it before. But the doctor is a friend of hers and he wouldn’t let her go home alone. She must’ve tried Angela a half dozen times before I finally asked her to come home with me,” Jon said.

“What did she say?”

“She said no at first, but then I asked her to let me take care of her and then she gave in,” Jon said.

“She did,” Richie asked surprised.

“Yeah she did. Why did you say it like that,” Jon asked.

“Nothing, go on,” Richie said.

“Well I got her home and upstairs, which was a challenge lemme tell you. And I got her in the bathroom and helped get washed up and everything. But she’s so damn stubborn, she really wouldn’t let me help her,” Jon said looking as his friend. “What, if you’ve got something to say, just say it.”

“I’m not saying a damn thing. What else happened?”

“Nothing, I put her in bed and made sure she was ok and she fell asleep in a few minutes. But I told her I loved her,” Jon said as Richie’s jaw dropped.

“You did what? What did she say?”

“Calm down, she didn’t say anything she was asleep. But I do. I know you told me to take it slow but after everything that happened today it just made me believe it even more. She was great with my parents, they loved her. It was so right seeing her with them, with my family. And then when she got hurt, I swear my heart stopped when I thought something happened to her. It felt so right when I took her home and took care of her,” Jon said letting his voice trail off a little.

“Why,” Richie asked.

“Why what?”

“Why do you love her?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“Look, you say that you love her, and I believe that you do, but why,” Richie asked.

“Because of the way I feel when I’m with her, and how much I miss her when I’m not with her, and how perfectly she meshed with my family, and how she’s the first person that I think to call when something happens, and how she makes me feel so alive for the first time in years.”

“And this has nothing to do with Dot?”

“Why would it,” Jon asked looking genuinely confused.

“I cant help but think that you love the idea of you and Melissa and you love the void that she fills that Dot left in your life. Because if that’s true, it’s not fair to either one of you,” Richie said taking the bottle from Jon taking a long drink.

“I know you worry about me and I appreciate that. I know things have been quick, but love has no timetable, right? And never once did I question the train wrecks that you’ve claimed to love over the years,” Jon said defensively taking the bottle back.

“Hey this isn’t about Melissa, I’m asking about you as a brother,” Richie said calmly not wanting this to escalate into a late night shouting match.

“She’s everything that I need in my life right now,” Jon said.

“And you’re sure you’re not just making her into that?”

“Positive,” Jon said.

“Then you know I support you all the way,” Richie said taking the bottle back.

“Thanks.”

“Of course, but I should probably turn in. If I don’t see her in the morning before you leave tell her I hope she feels better and I’ll call and check on her later,” Richie said standing, leaving the bottle on the counter.

“I will, night,” Jon said taking another sip as Richie left.

Jon stayed another 15 minutes until he finished the bottle before he went back upstairs. When he reached his room the thought of spending the rest of the night crouched in a chair seemed nothing less than torturous on his body and he grabbed a throw blanket from the end of the bed. He climbed on top of the bed and pulled the blanket on top of him. There was no need to get under the sheets, with the temptation of a beautiful woman there. For tonight it was more than enough that she was with him. Jon looked over at Melissa as he began to drift to sleep. God its good not to fall asleep in an empty bed. To fall asleep with a woman, my woman. The woman I love.

***

Jon woke up around 9 o’clock; the routine of the week was hard for his internal clock to ignore even though he probably could’ve used another couple of hours of sleep. When he opened his eyes he was pleased to see Melissa in bed next to him. He looked at the clock and saw that he probably had about a half hour before she would be waking up, if nothing else her medication would be wearing off soon.

Jon quietly got out of bed and after a quick stop in the bathroom he headed to the kitchen to make breakfast. He started a pot of coffee and poured some juice before he stared blankly at the carton of eggs and package of bacon in front of him. It took nearly 30 minutes for him to come up with eggs, bacon and toast that were somewhere between burnt to a crisp and raw. Satisfied, bordering on proud, of his finished product he made up a tray with an extra mug of coffee and carried it upstairs. When he entered the room he could see that she was beginning to stir.

“Morning sleepy head,” Jon said.

“Morning,” she grumbled.

“Are you hungry? I brought you breakfast,” Jon said setting the tray down.

“It smells delicious. Do you have my pills too,” she asked sitting up with a wince.

“Yup, its all right here,” he said opening the bottle and handing her two pills and a glass of juice.

“Thanks,” she said taking the pills.

“I wasn’t sure what you liked, but I thought these were pretty much the breakfast foundations,” he said sliding the tray on her lap.

“It looks wonderful, aren’t you eating,” she asked.

“I already munched on the first couple of failed attempts. Cooking isn’t something that I’ve been able to master all these years,” he said smiling. “How’s your shoulder this morning?”

“Its not as bad as last night, but it still hurts like a bitch,” she said digging into the eggs.

“Good, you gave me quite a scare last night,” he said.

“Trust me, that’s not how I planned on the night ending,” she said looking up at him. “Come, sit,” she said patting the bed next to her.

He walked around the bed and climbed on next to her sitting cross-legged.

“It feels a little silly that I’m telling you to sit on your own bed,” she said quietly.

“Stop that, I was more than happy to have you here last night,” he said.

“And I really appreciate everything you did, not to mention this is probably the most comfortable bed that I’ve ever slept in,” she said smiling.

“I’m glad you were comfy. Can I talk to you, or are you a little outta it still,” he asked.

“I’m pretty coherent with some coffee in me. Is there something on your mind,” she asked.

“Kinda,” he said.

“Something kinda good, or kinda bad,” she asked as she finished her plate sliding it to the end of the bed.

“Something good, definitely good. I was thinking about us, especially with the week we’ve had,” he said.

“It has be one hell of a week,” she said sipping the coffee.

“It’s put a lot of things in perspective for me. When you thought that I wasn’t serious about us it scared the crap outta me because I know how important you are to me but I was obviously doing a sucky job showing you how I feel and it was amazing seeing how perfectly you fit with my family,” he said rubbing her knee.

“And I really enjoyed meeting them,” she said looking into his eyes relieved to see the lust was gone from them.

“Well all that with what happened last night, well it scared the shit outta me because I don’t want to lose you.”

“Jon, I’m fine, it’s just a shoulder,” she said.

“I know that now but seeing you collapse in my arms, I’ve never felt so helpless and useless in my life. Its stupid that it took something like that to give me the kick in the ass that I needed to tell you how I feel about you.” He took her hands in his and locked his eyes with hers. “Melissa, I’ve known for a while that I was falling for you. Falling hard. But now I know I’m there, Mel. I love you.”

Melissa’s eyes grew wide with each word as a million thoughts spun through her head. “Jon-“

“Shh, don’t say anything. I don’t want you to saw a word just stay here and think about what I said. I’m gonna go take a shower and I’ll be back in a couple minutes,” he said giving her a kiss before he walked to the bathroom.

Melissa sat on the bed a minute in disbelief as she focused her thoughts into damage control mode. He doesn’t mean that. Does he? He doesn’t love me, he cant. I can’t be what he needs or give him what he needs. I have to get outta here before he comes back out, she thought.

She threw her sling on and slipped her arm in it. Looking around for her bag she assumed it was in the bathroom and left it behind. She found a pad and a pen on his dresser and scribbled a quick note leaving it on the bed where he would be sure to see it. It was simple, three short words. I’m so sorry. ~Melissa

She stood near the bathroom door where she could hear the shower still running and faint singing before she headed to the hall. Her heart raced as she nearly ran down the stairs to the foyer where she saw her purse. She grabbed it and desperately looked around for a set of keys.

“Melissa darlin’ how are you,” Richie asked from behind her.

Melissa nearly jumped out of her skin as he put his hand on her back. “Jesus, Richie, are you trying to give me a friggin’ heart attack? What the hell are you doing here?”

“I’ve been splitting my time between here and Philly working on some solo stuff. What are you doing,” he asked turning her around to face him.

“Will you do me a favor? No questions asked?”

“Ok,” he said a little leery.

“Drive me home,” she said keeping an eye on the stairs.

“I’m sure Jon will drive you home, where is he?”

“He’s in the shower. Please drive me home, now. Please don’t make me steal a car, I probably shouldn’t even be driving on this medication,” she said her eyes pleading with him.

“Melissa are you ok? Do you want to sit down,” he asked.

“Damn it Richie, just answer me. I’m fine, I don’t need to sit, I need to leave,” she said keeping an eye on the stairs.

“Fine, any chance I can change,” he asked.

“I need to go before he gets out of the shower, please,” she said as a silent tear slid down her cheek.

“Oh, don’t cry,” he said wiping the tear away, “Ok we’ll go.” He slipped on a pair of shoes by the door and grabbed a pair of keys from the basket on the hall table. “Ready?”

“So ready, thank you,” she said sliding on her shoes.

“Come on, let’s go,” he said holding the door open for her.

She followed him outside and waited for him to open the car to see which one she was getting into. A black truck towards the garage beeped and she walked with deliberate steps to the passenger seat. She awkwardly buckled herself before Richie was in the car all the way and waited for him to start the car.

“Calm down, I’ve only had one cup of coffee, I’m not movin’ much faster then this,” he said starting the car.

“Sorry,” she said keeping an eye on the front door.

“Don’t worry about it, just relax a little. You’re starting to stress me out and that’s no easy feat,” he said pulling out of the driveway.

They drove in silence for a few miles until Richie’s phone rang. “It’s Jon,” he said quietly looking at Melissa.

“Go ahead answer it,” she said.

Richie answered the phone with a quick hi, before Melissa could hear Jon yelling through the phone. She couldn’t make out the words, but she knew he was mad.

If nothing else the half of the conversation she could hear didn’t sound too pleasant, “Jon, she asked me to drive her home and I did…No you can’t do that…Just trust me ok…no stay home Steph called a little before we left she’ll be home soon…I’ll be home in a couple hours…I dunno hold on lemme ask.” Richie turned to look at Melissa, “He wants to talk to you.”

“I can’t,” she said as a fresh stream of tears started.

“This isn’t the best time, but lemme drive before you get me a ticket,” Richie said before hanging up.

They drove for another 20 minutes or so before Richie pulled over on the highway. “You’ve gotta give me something here. I risked my ass driving you home, what happened?”

“Rich, I cant,” she said quietly trying to avoid his eyes.

“Melissa, please. He didn’t try anything did he,” he asked quietly.

“Well, I think he wanted to, but,” her voice trailed off not knowing what to say.

“I could kill him,” Richie said.

“No, it wasn’t like that, really. Nothing happened.”

“What happened this morning?”

“He told me he loved me,” she said softly.

“I told him to be careful,” Richie said.

“Did you tell him,” she said her eyes grew wide.

“I told you I wouldn’t, but I warned him all the same. He does love you if it makes you feel better,” Richie said.

“It doesn’t, because I can’t be what he needs. Or give him what he needs,” she said finally looking him in the eye.

“He wants you everything else will come, if you’re honest with him. He’s not like the rest of us he can go without sex. When he was married he was very faithful when we were on the road. You just need to talk with him,” Richie said.

“I can’t, not now. Please just keep driving,” she asked and Richie complied pulling off of the shoulder.

After a few more minutes of silence Melissa’s phone rang and she was relieved to see it was finally Angela.

“Hello,” she said quietly.

“OH MY GOD! I have to find out from the hospital when I get to work that you were brought in last night! So I freak out and start yelling at you because you didn’t call me but then I remember we turned the ringer off the house phone and I left my phone in the car and Tommy’s had a dead battery and I saw that you call like a zillion times and I’m the worst best friend ever. Are you ok,” she asked in one long shouted breath.

“I’ll be fine, it’s just my shoulder,” Melissa answered quietly.

“Well in that case, I heard a rumor that you went home with Jon Bon Jovi,” she said singing his name.

“Ang, can we do this later,” Melissa asked.

“Mel, what’s the matter? What’s wrong,” she asked worriedly.

“He told me he loved me Ang. He said the words,” she said tears flowing freely now.

“Where are you?”

“I had Richie drive me home when he was in the shower. We’re about halfway home,” Melissa said.

“Have him take you to my house, I’ll call Tommy and make sure he’s still home. I’m gonna switch shifts with someone, I’ll be home as soon as I can,” Angela said.

“Thank you,” Melissa said.

“Hun, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I love you,” Angela said before hanging up.

Richie stayed quiet the rest of their trip and was happy to see that Angela was home and he could leave Melissa in capable hands after getting another cup of coffee for the drive home.

***

Nearly three hours after she had left Jon was pacing around his living room waiting for Richie to get back. He had already made his bed, put all her stuff back in her bag and put her clothes in the laundry room waiting for the next load. Steph got home a couple hours ago and had been in her room studying for a test in the morning. Jon nearly ran to the front door when he heard it open and almost bit off Richie’s head when he found him there.

“What the fuck are you doing,” Jon yelled in the foyer.

“Chill, I just drove her home. What’s your problem,” Richie said trying to keep his voice low.

“All I know is I left her in my bed and when I got outta the shower she was gone and you took her home,” Jon said in a growl.

“Look, she was scared. I told you to take it slow didn’t I? Just give her some time and some space she’ll come around. I left her in good hands, they’ll get her through it,” Richie said.

“What are you talking about,” Jon said.

“Just trust me here, please,” Richie said.

“You know something don’t you,” Jon asked.

“Just drop it, and trust me,” Richie said firmly.

“You do. Tell me,” Jon yelled.

“Look you know I love you like a brother, but I can’t tell you this. Please just take my word for it,” Richie said.

“Just fucking tell me,” Jon yelled even louder.

“I can’t I promised, let it go,” Richie said his own voice rising.

“I never thought I’d see the day where you kept something this big from me. You’ve gotta be fucking kidding me,” Jon yelled.

“If you care about her as much as you say you do, trust me and give her some space,” Richie said lowering his voice not to be overheard by anyone else in the house.

“Are you gonna tell me or not,” Jon asked.

“No,” Richie said quietly.

“Then get out of my house,” Jon said.

“What? You’re kidding right,” Richie asked in disbelief.

“If you wont tell me, then get out of my fucking house,” Jon yelled, emphasizing each word.

“You’re actually kicking me out,” Richie asked.

“Maybe Dave will take you in, I don’t fucking care at this point. Just get out, and don’t come back unless you have an explanation,” Jon scowled ripping open the door.

Richie left still in his pajamas, even though it was well after noon, and Jon slammed the door behind him, for extra emphasis. He leaned against the door resting his forehead on the cool glass panes. He didn’t turn around until he heard footsteps on the stairs.

“Dad,” Steph said quietly.

“Yeah, sweetie,” Jon said turning around, controlling his anger.

“Is everything ok,” she asked.

“What are you talking about,” he asked.

“I’ve never heard you yell at Uncle Richie like that. Was that about Melissa,” she asked.

“No he just drove her home for me because I knew you were coming home, and she was itching to go. I told you that. That was something between me and Richie,” he said half lying

“Oh, ok Dad,” she said.

“You’ve got like 10 minutes before one of your aunts will be here to take you to your mom’s,” Jon said checking his watch.

“I really have to go,” she asked hopefully.

“Yes you have to go. Your present is in my office on the desk, make sure you get it before you leave,” he said.

“I didn’t get her anything,” she said.

“I know, don’t forget to take the present with you,” he said.

“What is it,” she asked.

“Maybe next year you should buy something yourself, and you would know,” Jon said forcing out a smile.

“Fine,” she said leaving to retrieve the mystery present.

Jon didn’t move from the foyer. He held his cell phone in his hand not knowing what to do. That ass does usually have my best interest in mind and he said not to do anything, but I can’t do nothing. I have to call her. But what if she does need space, and I screw things up worse. How did I screw up things at all? Why the fuck wont he tell me? Jon went through a list of all his options and weighed them all before finally dialing the phone and praying that someone would pick up.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Rachel! Ya killing me!
What is wrong with Melissa??????
What kind of abuse or trauma had she had to be like that? She needs help! Hope Jon is a patient man!

Anonymous said...

AHHHH!!!! The "Secret" again!! I agree.. you're killing me here!