Monday, February 2, 2009

Chapter 40

The next morning Jon set out to Newark airport right from dropping Steph off at school. After sitting nearly an hour and a half in traffic, he arrived about a half hour before his parents were scheduled to land. They were on one of the first flights of the day from Miami so their plane was on time, and he found a parking spot close to the terminal and headed in side. He found a little cafĂ© near baggage claim and ordered two cups of coffee for his parents before having a seat. He checked his phone and saw that his parent’s flight should be landing within a few minutes and opted to text Melissa rather than calling her. After a few minutes of trivial texts back and forth his phone rang.

“Hello,” he answered.

“Hi Johnny, its mom, we just landed. Are you here yet,” she asked.

“Yes mom, I’m waiting by baggage claim for you. I’m just moving to the bottom of the escalator now,” Jon said taking the coffees with him.

“Ok, we’ll be there in a minute. I swear each time I come through this airport it gets bigger,” she said. “I think I see you, are you wearing a hat again, it makes it so hard for me to see that face of yours.”

“Yeah mom, I’m in a hat, that’s kinda the point of it. I can see you, bye,” Jon said as his parents came into full view down the escalator.

His mom wasted no time, giving him a big hug and a kiss right in the middle of baggage claim. To her, it didn’t matter that he was a 46-year-old man; he was still her son first and foremost. “How are you doing, baby? You look skinnier than when we saw you in New Orleans, are you eating enough?”

“Yes mom, I’m eating enough,” Jon answered handing her one of the cups of coffee.

“Well I can’t help but worry, you know. I know if you were left to fend for yourself you would probably just eat cereal,” his mom answered.

“Carol, he says he eats, you have to believe him,” his dad said giving Jon a hug.

“Thanks dad,” he whispered. “Coffee?”

“Always, none for yourself,” his dad asked as Carol led them to the appropriate baggage carousel.

“Nah, I had a couple cups this morning before I left, but I figured you could use some,” Jon answered.

“Such a good son,” his dad answered smiling.

“So mom, how was the flight,” Jon asked turning back to his mother.

“It was a good, quiet flight. It was pretty empty, I guess because it was so early,” she answered.

“That’s the best kind of flights,” Jon said.

“You know I only worry about you because I love you. I hate to think of you in that big house of yours all by yourself,” she said quietly.

“Carol, this is not the time or place for that,” his father said firmly.

“Dad, its ok. I know you worry, but I’m a big boy now mom, and I’m doing ok,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“This is our luggage here, Jon, can you grab it,” she asked as bags started to come around.

He collected their four bags and loaded them on a luggage cart before he led them out of the building and to his truck. He opted for the larger vehicle knowing that his mother had a tendency to over pack, even if she was staying less than a week. She even admitted to the entire bag that was filled with presents and goodies for all the grandkids. Once all of the luggage was properly stowed and Jon had helped his mom into the front seat of the truck he climbed into the driver seat. His dad settled into the back seat stretching out as Jon pulled back onto the turnpike.

His mom made small talk about the weather and catching up on what was going on with the kids as Jon drove. After about 10 minutes or so, Jon felt his phone vibrating in his pocket and took it out to see a new text message from Melissa. when are you telling them??? now uve got me all anxious…

Jon started to answer her before his mom interrupted. “You really shouldn’t be doing that while you’re driving Jon. I remember when I was younger and there weren’t even phones to distract you in the car,” she said warningly.

“Sorry, mom,” Jon said putting his phone back in him pocket without responding.

The sat in slightly awkward silence for a minute after his scolding before she spoke again. “You know you can’t lie to me Jon, I’m your mother,” she said simply.

“What are you talking about mom,” Jon asked.

“What’s bothering you? I could see that there was something on your mind from the minute I laid eyes on you at the airport. A mother knows these things,” she said simply.

“Well there was something that I wanted to talk to you and Dad about, and I guess now’s just as good a time as any,” Jon said.

“Go ahead son, you’ve got our attention,” his father said supportively from the back seat.

“But you can’t tell Dorothea or the boys, because they don’t know and I need to be the one to talk to them when the time’s right,” Jon said making sure to lay down the conditions carefully.

“Of course, Jon, whatever you need,” his father answered.

“Mom,” Jon asked.

“We can certainly keep a secret from your ex wife,” his mother said with a hint of bitterness towards his ex in her voice.

“Thanks. I’m dating someone and she’s an important part of my life. I really care about her and I’d like you guys to meet her while you’re in town,” Jon said not sure exactly how his parents would react.

“How long have you two been together,” John Sr. asked.

“Not too long I guess, since August. She’s an amazing woman, and she’s great with Stephanie, they really seem to get along,” Jon said.

“Does she make you happy,” his mother asked quietly.

“Very much so,” Jon said nodding again. “I didn’t think I’d be able to feel the way I do about her after Dorothea.”

“Well then, I guess that’s good enough for me,” Carol said. “As long as she’s a good woman, and she treats my son well, I can’t ask for much more.”

“We’d love to meet her son, it would be an honor for you to share her with us,” John Sr. said.

“Thanks, that means a lot to me,” Jon said smiling.

They spent the next hour or so on their way back to Jon’s house catching up on the new details of his life. Jon spent most of the time answering some basic questions about Melissa but also gave the necessary details on his new living arrangements and why he wasn’t telling Dorothea and the boys about Melissa. There was no need for him to tell them everything that Dorothea had said and done, it wouldn’t accomplish anything except maybe his mother tearing her to shreds. He would save that for a later time, this weekend, was all about the new chapter in his life with Melissa.

***

Melissa changed for the fifth time Saturday afternoon under Angela’s watchful eye. This was one time where she was determined to make a positive first impression and had enlisted Angela’s help since 10:30 that morning.

“Oh my god Angela, its already 1:15! I told him I’d be at his house at 2:45, we have to leave in like 20 minutes,” Melissa said staring at her best friend who was lounged across her bed surrounded by cats.

“You have to calm down. Your hair and make up is done and you’ve got what you need for your date tonight all you have to figure out is what to wear,” Angela said supportively.

“And I’ve been at that for over an hour,” Melissa whined. “What do you wear when you meet your boyfriend’s parent’s for the first time anyway?”

“I liked the blue dress you had on before, it really brought out your eyes. Try it on again for me,” Angela said.

Melissa complied and emerged from the closet a minute later wearing the requested dress. “So what do you think?”

“You look, gorgeous, but not slutty, which is good and important. You look like a strong, professional woman, very confident,” Angela said looking at her from head to toe.

Melissa turned to check her reflection in the mirror to check the knee length dress. “Ok, if your sure, I think this is the one.”

“I’m sure, now let’s accessorize you,” Angela said getting off of the bed and walking to Melissa’s dresser. “See if you can find your black heels with the closed toe and I’ll get your jewelry.”

Melissa hurriedly dug through her closet finding the desired pair of shoes and putting them on before reentering the bedroom. “What do you got for me?”

“Just stand there let me put this all on,” Angela said grabbing from her pile of selected jewelry. “These bracelets are simple, but we can’t leave your wrists bare,” she said handing Melissa a stack of three silver bracelets. “And this necklace is perfect with that neckline,” she said fastening the silver heart around her neck. “And this ring,” she said handing Melissa one of her favorites, “and you’re good to go.”

“What would I do without you? I don’t think I could dress myself some mornings,” Melissa said taking a look at her completed ensemble.

“I know, I like to keep you dependent,” Angela teased. “Now lets go, before you’re late.”

Melissa quickly grabbed her bag with a change of clothes, her purse and her coat, before locking her apartment door and headed for the stairs. The two woman climbed into Angela’s car and they headed back to Angela and Tommy’s apartment.

“I know you probably don’t mind at all, but thanks for driving me,” Melissa said flipping through the cds in the center console.

“It’s really no trouble at all,” Angela said beaming. “We had plans to go down the shore today anyway. Its not too often that we both get a Saturday off from work, and you were on the way.”

“Well I appreciate it, this way I don’t have to worry about my car or anything,” Melissa said. “Tommy’s the one I should probably be thanking, I don’t think I had to twist your arm to hard if it meant that you got to see his house.”

“Melissa, I’m hurt that you’d think I’d have ulterior motives, other than just dropping you off,” Angela said.

“Yeah, yeah,” Melissa said as they pulled into her driveway to find Tommy sitting on the front steps waiting. “Did you threaten him to be ready and waiting?”

“No he knew better than to keep me waiting. I’m going to Jon Bon Jovi’s house you know,” Angela teased as Tommy got in the back seat.

“Hey Melissa,” he said brightly.

“Hey Tommy, thanks for dropping me off on the way,” Melissa said as Angela headed towards the highway.

“You mean I had a choice, I was under the impression that I was just allowed along for the ride,” Tommy teased.

“Oh stop it, you could have said no,” Angela said with a fake scowl.

“I’m not a stupid man,” he replied.

Melissa suppressed a laugh as she dug through her purse, “I’ve got the directions, we can take this to the Parkway.”

“I don’t need directions,” Angela said simply.

“For fear that I would have to assume that you’re stalking my boyfriend let me read them to you,” Melissa said.

“You can read them to me, but this is a trip that I’ve made before. Not recently of course, but I’ve made it all the same,” Angela answered with a smile.

True to her word, Angela didn’t need any directions, though Melissa read them to her, and within an hour they were passing the “Welcome to Red Bank” sign. “Ok we’re taking this down about a mile through two lights-“ Melissa started.

“And then we make a left onto Navesink River Road,” Angela finished.

“I really wish you wouldn’t do that. And incase you’re looking for it, I slipped your camera to Tommy and I took your cell phone. There will be NO picture taking. You cannot embarrass me, not today,” Melissa warned.

“I think I’m offended at the lengths you took and that you thought I would embarrass you,” Angela said.

“You’re joking right,” Melissa said as Angela turned down his road.

Angela ignored the comment and continued to drive, “It’s coming up here on the right, it sneaks up on you, so keep an eye out for it.”

“It’s the next house,” Melissa said reading the notes that he had given her.

“Oh there it is,” Angela said excitedly as she pulled into the end of his driveway, stopping when she was out of the street. “It’s even bigger than I remembered it.”

“You can pull all the way in you know. He said he’d leave the gate open,” Melissa said.

“Oh, right, I can go in this time,” Angela said pulling through the open gate.

When they pulled down towards the house Melissa noticed four or five cars parked near the front door. “I thought he said it would be just his parents, this is a lot of cars,” she said nervously.

“Those three are his, I know for sure. And you can’t give me a look because you’ve been in them so you know for yourself. Your gonna be fine honey, don’t sweat it,” Angela said encouragingly. “But come on lets get out of the car before they think were just some crazy fans who went through the open gate.”

“You guys don’t have to come in, I can make it from here to the door,” Melissa said.

“Don’t be silly, I’d never hear the end of it, if she couldn’t at least walk you to the door. I promise we’ll only stay a minute,” Tommy assured her.

“Ok then, lets go,” Melissa said gathering her things and stepped out of the truck. She waited as her other friends joined her before she turned to them. “Ok last check, how do I look?”

“Stunning,” Tommy said.

“Thanks,” Melissa said and led them to the enormous front door. She took a deep breath before she rang the doorbell which she heard echo throughout the foyer.

After a minute the door opened and a very pregnant brunette held the door open smiling. “You must be Melissa, we’ve heard so much about you. I’m Desiree, come on in.”

“Nice to meet you, Desiree,” Melissa said shaking her hand. “There are my friends Angela and Tommy, they just dropped me off on their way down the shore for the day.”

“Its nice to meet all of you, come on inside. I’m sure Jon wants to say hello before you go,” Desiree said brightly. “Can I take your coats?”

“We’ll hold onto ours thanks, we’ll only be staying a minute,” Tommy answered.

“Sure thing, Melissa,” she asked.

“That would be great,” Melissa answered handing her, her jacket.

“I actually have no idea where Jon wants this, but I’ll hang it up right here in case he asks,” she said hanging it on a coat rack. “I’ll take that bag from you too, just let me direct you to where the guys are playing with Isabel.” Desiree led them down a hall to a large family room where Jon and Matt were watching a college football game and a little girl was playing on the floor. “Jon, you have company,” she called before leaving with Melissa’s bag.

Jon turned and smiled when he saw Melissa and walked over to her. “You found it ok?”

“It was actually a little concerning how easily we found it. They just gave me a ride and then I swear they’re leaving,” Melissa said as she gestured to a gawking Angela in the hall.

“Tommy, how are you doing,” Jon asked shaking his hand.

“Not bad, yourself,” Tommy replied.

“I can’t complain one bit,” Jon said putting his arm around Melissa’s waist and pulling her close.

“That’s what I like to hear. I’ve been watching her don’t worry, she hasn’t taken any souvenirs,” Tommy said about an oblivious Angela who was wondering slowly down the hallway.

“Hello, Angela,” Jon called.

Angela jumped when he spoke to her and she blushed as her reaction. “Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

“Nope, just trying to make sure you don’t leave with anything,” Jon teased.

“You all have such little faith in me,” Angela said making her way down the hall to them.

“Well now that we’ve seen you inside, much to Angela’s dismay, we do have a date,” Tommy said to Melissa.

“Such a party pooper,” Angela pouted.

“If you’d like there’s a bathroom on your way outta here, on the right hand side. You can stop in before you leave, and I wont ask questions if something were to go missing,” Jon said smiling. “As long as it doesn’t end up on ebay.”

“Not ebay, just my living room mantle,” Tommy said. “Come on Ang lets go.”

“Ok, have fun. And thanks for the tip, I did have a big cup of coffee this morning around eight,” Angela said with a smile. “Call me later when you get home,” she said setting out for the bathroom.

“Bye, Mel,” Tommy said giving her a kiss on the head.

“Bye, have a great time,” Melissa said. “Oh and I almost forgot, here’s her phone back.” Tommy shook his head as he took it and set out to find his wife.

“Why did you have her phone,” Jon asked.

“So she wouldn’t take any pictures. I hid her camera too,” Melissa said smiling. “Your parents aren’t here yet? There were a bunch of cars outside.”

“Well Matt came over to watch the game and the Desiree came over about an hour ago with Isabel, so they came separate. I think one of my cars is out because Cara was running come errands earlier before she left,” Jon said as his toddler niece came wondering over and stopped in front of Jon to be picked up. He picked her up in a fluid swoop and held her on his hip. “Bella can you say hi,” he asked as she hid her face in his shoulder. “She’s a little shy.”

“Hi Bella,” Melissa said and she got a quick smile from the little girl.

“Are they all staying for lunch, I thought it was just your parents, and us” Melissa asked.

“It’s just you and them, we’re getting out of here,” Desiree said from the door behind them.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Melissa said.

“I didn’t take it any way. Besides I wouldn’t want to be meeting Carol and John for the first time and throw in one of Matt’s brothers and little one running around. Did he even get up off the couch to say hi,” she asked gesturing to her husband.

“Not exactly,” Melissa answered.

“I swear sometimes when he gets in front of that TV. All I’ve got to say is god forbid I go into labor in the middle of a football game, I’ll have to drive myself to the hospital,” she said shaking her head. “Matthew David Bongiovi, get your butt off of that couch and come say hello.”

Matt quickly rose from the couch and looked at her sheepishly as he saw he was scolded in front of company. “Hi, I’m Matt, nice to meet you,” he said extending his hand to Melissa.

“Melissa, nice to meet you,” she said shaking his hand.

“Come on Matt we’re leaving,” Desiree said firmly.

“But there’s only three minutes left in the fourth,” Matt whined.

“But that’s an actual half hour later, so we’re leaving now,” she said as Matt dragged his feet a little. “Take you daughter from your brother and go get her shoes and coat on, they’re by the front door.”

“Ok,” he said taking Bella from Jon and making his way down the hallway.

“I swear he’s worse than the two-year-old sometimes,” she said shaking her head. “We’re as good as gone, so don’t you worry about us. I left your bag in the kitchen, if you’re looking for it and have a wonderful time. They’re nothing to worry about, I remember the first time I met them, I was a nervous wreck. But they really are wonderfully sweet people, enjoy yourself. But watch out for John he likes to joke around, I was so nervous I didn’t catch onto that and I took everything he said seriously.”

“Thanks for the warning,” Melissa said.

“Don’t mention it. Let me know if there’s anything you need, or need to know about this bunch,” she said and offered Melissa her cell phone number. “Enjoy your afternoon,” she said with a smile before heading out to find her husband. After a minute or so, the house alarm chimed when the front door opened as they left.

“So that’s my brother and his wife,” Jon said leading her to one of the couches and turned off the volume on the monstrous TV.

“So I see, she’s great,” Melissa said.

“I know, she’s a riot. She keeps Matt in check, he’s so easy going and she definitely balances that out. He’s been getting into a lot of trouble since she’s been pregnant with the raging hormones, but she really is an angel,” Jon said.

“And your brother’s such a talkative guy. I’ve met him a couple of times before and I think I talked to him more then,” Melissa teased.

“You’ve met him before,” Jon asked.

“At Elements a couple times,” Melissa said. “He’s much more social when there’s not a football game on.”

“Yeah, well Desiree hasn’t let it on in the house since she’s been pregnant unless it was the Giants or the Soul, so he kinda just takes it all in when he runs away here,” Jon said. “Don’t worry he’ll be thoroughly chewed out for it I’m sure.”

“I don’t mind at all. So where is Steph today,” Melissa asked.

“She is at her mom’s, and that’s where my parents are too. They stopped by about an hour ago on their way over to see the kids again,” Jon said. “They should be here any minute.”

“Perfect,” Melissa said calming her nerves.

“I’m being a horrible host, can I get you something to drink,” Jon asked.

“Sure that’d be great,” she answered and followed him out of the room.

“I can give you a tour too, on the way to the kitchen,” Jon said as he pointed out various things to her on their way.

When they entered the kitchen Melissa was hit with a wall of various smells from a nearby oven. “That smells wonderful, what is it,” she asked.

“I’m not quite sure,” Jon said. “Amalia,” he called, and his housekeeper appeared from around a corner in the kitchen.

“Yes, Mr. Jon,” she answered.

“Amalia, this is Melissa. Mel this is Amalia the woman who keeps this place running,” Jon said smiling.

“You are too kind, Mr. Jon, but thank you. It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Melissa,” Amalia said extending her hand.

“Oh, no just Melissa is fine,” she answered shaking the older woman’s hand. “I was just telling Jon how wonderful it smells in here, but I guess it’s you I should be complimenting, not him.”

“Thank you very much,” Amalia said smiling. “An old family recipe, chicken, fresh vegetables, rice and a nice sauce to go with it.”

“If it tastes as good as it smells, I think I’ll be back for dinner more often,” Melissa said.

“I do hope you enjoy it. Can I get either of you something to drink before your parents arrive? I have a bottle of red wine breathing on the counter for lunch,” Amalia offered.

“Two glasses, please,” Jon said as Amalia went to work and returned with the two glasses.

“Here you go, please Melissa let me know if there is anything else I can help you with while you’re here. Miss Desiree left your things in here, your purse is over on the counter and I put your other bag in Mr. Jon’s study,” Amalia said.

“Thank you very much,” Melissa said.

“My pleasure,” Amalia said and turned back to the meal she was creating as the doorbell rang. “I’ll get that for you two, if you’d like to have a seat in the family room I’ll show your parents in,” she offered.

“Thanks, Amalia,” Jon said as he led Melissa back to the family room. She sat next to him on the couch and quietly sipped her wine. “They’re gonna love you,” Jon said with a smile as Melissa heard three pairs of feet approaching down the hall.

“Jon,” his mother said from the door with his father right behind her.

Melissa stood with Jon and walked over to the doorway to greet them properly. “Hi, mom. You had fun with the kids?”

“Don’t I always? But you must be Melissa,” Carol said extending her hand to Melissa.

Just breathe, Melissa thought to herself as she shook the older woman’s hand. “It’s very nice to meet you, Mrs. Bongiovi.”

1 comment:

Bayaderra said...

Oh Rachel...another chapter! You're spoiling me!
Poor Mel, so nervous meeting his parents LOL! And LMAO at Angela again! Wach out Jon, next issue of Stat or Enquier will have an expose on rock stars bathroom! Shoul I go and check ebay for personal items??? LOL!