Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chapter 43

Melissa could feel herself coming to, not knowing what was going on around her. She felt a severe pain her left shoulder that started in her chest and ended in her fingers. In the distance she could hear Jon fighting with someone, and she opened her eyes to try to see him. When she did she saw him talking to one of the janitors and on his cell phone a few feet from her. What the hell happened? “Jon,” she called to no response. “Jon,” she called louder and this time he came to her.

“Melissa,” he asked as he knelt next to her. “It’s gonna be ok.”

“Who are you one the phone with,” she asked.

“911.”

“Jon, no. No ambulance. If they come I wont go,” she said trying to sound assertive and coherent.

“Melissa, you passed out,” he said.

“I just stood up too quickly, I’m fine. Tell them not to come, just take me to the hospital. It’s right down the street,” she pleaded.

“Fine but if you look like you’re gonna pass out again I’m calling an ambulance,” he said and walked out of ear shot of her as he finished the phone call and hung up.

She tried to move her shoulder and gave out a yelp as she did so. Damn thing’s probably dislocated, what the hell did I fall off of?

Jon came back over to her and removed the box from underneath her legs. “You scared me half to death you know,” he said quietly.

“Trust me this wasn’t in my plan,” she said smiling.

“It better not have been. Can you sit up,” he asked.

“Yeah, I think so just don’t touch my shoulder,” she said as he helped her up.

“Do you want your shirt,” he asked holding it.

“There’s no way I’m gonna get it on,” she said. “When did Mark get here?”

“Who? Oh the janitor, he said he heard me on the phone and came to see if everything was ok,” Jon said and was relieved when he saw some color return to her face.

“He’s been here forever, I’m surprised he didn’t pop in to say hi,” she said with a grimace as she repositioned herself.

“Ready to try to stand again,” he asked.

“Yeah.”

“Nice and slow this time,” he said helping her to her feet. “You ok?”

“Yeah,” she said and allowed him to help her over to a chair.

“Sit right here, and I’ll get your stuff,” Jon said before he collected her stuff and Mark walked over to see her.

“How are you Melissa? You took a nasty spill off of the beam. I was watching for a little bit when I heard the music, I hope you don’t mind,” Mark said.

So that’s what happened, she thought. “Of course I don’t mind. I’ve been worse, I think it’s just dislocated, but it hurts like hell.”

“You must really like him, it’s been years since you’ve missed that move. He must be clouding your judgment just a little,” Mark said as Jon came back to the pair of them.

“Ok, I got everything I think. Can you make it out to the car,” Jon asked.

“Yeah I’m fine to walk,” she said.

“Feel better, Melissa, and have someone call here tomorrow and let us know how you’re doing,” Mark said.

“I will thanks. Can you do me a favor and make sure everything gets locked up,” she asked.

“Of course, I’ve got my own keys,” Mark said smiling. “Do you know where the hospital is from here?”

“Not exactly,” Jon answered.

“Take this street down a couple blocks and then make and left onto Prospect and you’ll see signs for the ER,” Mark said before leaving them.

“You ready to go,” Jon asked.

“Absolutely,” she said standing slowly and Jon watched her every step making sure that she wasn’t gonna pass out again.

They walked slowly out of the building and to his car where Jon carefully put her seatbelt on her and shut her door. Jon drove as carefully as he could, not wanting any bumps in the road or sudden stops to cause her more pain. He tried to talk to her to ensure that she was indeed conscious as he pulled into the main entrance of the hospital. In all his trips there, he never realized how many signs and buildings there were and after his third wrong turn he pulled up in front of a sign saying Emergency Department. He parked the car in the fire lane and was greeted by a valet who took his keys.

“I need a wheel chair,” Jon told the valet and he called inside.

“Jon, I am perfectly capable of walking,” she said.

“Then humor me. Do you want your purse,” he asked.

“Yeah and can you throw my shirt in there quick,” she asked.

He did as she asked and was holding her purse when an orderly came out with a wheelchair. “Ready,” he asked offering her his hand.

She nodded as he helped her out of the car and into the wheelchair, secretly thankful. Jon took a slip from the valet as the orderly wheeled her inside and parked her chair right by the doors so she could wait for Jon who appeared a minute later.

“You got everything,” she asked when arrived.

“Yeah, lets get you checked in,” he said as he wheeled her to the crowded waiting room. “I’m just gonna leave you here, and I’ll get the paperwork,” he said leaving her next to an empty chair.

“If you do that we’ll be here for hours,” she said trying to wheel herself to the triage desk.

“Take one of these and one of these, and hand them to that nurse over here,” a nurse said without looking up when Melissa stopped in front of the desk.

“Jennifer,” Melissa said and the nurse looked up.

“Oh my god, Melissa what happened to you,” the nurse asked.

“I slipped off a balance beam and I think I dislocated my shoulder,” she said.

“Ok, hold on let me make sure all your info is in here,” she said typing in her computer.

“Thanks,” Melissa said giving Jon an “I told you so” look.

After confirming her address, telephone number and insurance information, Jennifer took Melissa back to one of the smaller waiting rooms with Jon in tow. “I’m gonna leave you here for a couple of minutes while they finish cleaning out exam 6. I’ll let them know you’re in here,” she said before leaving.

“Can I get you anything,” Jon asked.

“Nothing you can get me, but some pain medication would be nice,” she said. “Can you sit please, your making me nervous?”

“Sorry,” he said taking a seat next to her.

“Thank you for staying with me,” she said softly not wanting to be overheard by the other patients.

“Did you think I would just leave you,” he asked.

“Not really, but thank you all the same,” she said.

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else,” he said smiling as his phone rang.

“If its one of the kids go ahead and take it,” she said.

“Steph,” he said answering the phone as her answer came back garbled. “Steph, can you hear me,” he asked before his phone lost the call.

“It’s the ER, some phones work, some don’t,” she said. “Is it a 201, number?”

“No,” he said.

“Use the phone over there,” she said pointing to the staff phone on the wall. “Dial 3 to dial out, then 226# and then her number.”

“But what if you get called or something,” he asked.

“Your right across the room, I don’t think I’m about to be sneaking out. I’ll wait for you, go ahead its probably important,” she said.

“Ok, I’ll be right back,” he said walking to the phone following the directions she gave him. He turned and watched her sitting with her eyes closed as the phone rang.

“Hello,” she asked.

“Steph, its Dad, what’s up,” he asked.

“Where are you,” she asked curiously.

“It’s a long story, is everything ok,” he asked.

“Everything’s fine, but I told Mom that you said that I could stay with you tonight,” she said.

“Steph, I thought you were staying at your mom’s tonight I wont be home for a couple hours,” he said.

“No it’s ok, I was just calling to ask if I could stay at Michelle’s tonight,” she said.

“Steph I don’t like you lying to your mom,” he said.

“I know but she wouldn’t have let me go,” she pleaded.

“Fine, just this once, but don’t make a habit out of it,” he said firmly.

“Thanks, Dad,” she said excitedly.

Jon saw a nurse talking to Melissa, “We’re gonna talk about this, but Steph I gotta go unless there was something else.”

“Nope that was it. Tell Melissa I said hi, and I’ll talk to you in the morning,” she said.

“Ok, I love you Stephie,” Jon said.

“I love you too,” she said as she hung up the phone.

Jon walked back over to Melissa and she stopped talking to the nurse. “Is everything ok,” she asked.

“Yeah she just need to ask me something quick, she says hi,” Jon answered.

“Now can I take you to your room,” the nurse asked.

“That would be great thanks, Liz,” Melissa said.

Liz pushed Melissa to a near by room and helped her into the bed as Jon followed behind feeling useless. “Can I ask you to step outside so I can start a chart on her,” Liz asked Jon.

“No he can stay, if you don’t mind,” Melissa said turning to him.

“If you want me here, then that’s where I’m gonna be,” Jon said smiling.

“Here you might want this then,” Liz said sliding over a chair. “Now lets see, tell me if this all sounds right. Height 5’3, weight 100, no allergies?”

“That’s all right,” Melissa said.

“Ok, can you tell me what happened,” Liz asked.

“I was down the street at the gym and I missed the beam on an aerial and I hit my shoulder on the beam and then I landed on it,” Melissa said.

“Did you hit your head at all,” Liz asked writing down everything that she was saying.

“No just my shoulder,” Melissa said.

“Anything else,” Liz asked.

Jon gave Melissa a look and she knew if she left it out he would tell anyway. “I stood up too quick and I passed out, but I’m fine now,” she said quickly.

“How long was she unconscious,” Liz asked Jon.

“I’m not sure,” he said.

“Under or over five minutes?”

“Under,” Jon said.

“That’s understandable given the situation, I’m sure its nothing to worry about, Melissa,” Liz said continuing to scribble.

“That’s what I already told him,” Melissa said giving him a look.

“Is there any chance that you could be pregnant,” Liz asked.

“No,” Melissa answered.

“Date of last complete cycle,” Liz asked.

“Last Thursday,” Melissa answered.

“Are you currently on any medications,” Liz asked.

“None,” Melissa answered.

“Ok, I just need to check some things, but I need to get you into a gown first. Should I kick him out for you,” Liz asked.

“Jon, if you could give me a minute,” Melissa asked.

“Of course,” Jon said kissing her on the forehead.

“There’s a nurses station down the hall, I’m sure you could charm your way into a cup of the good coffee,” Melissa said.

“And I’ll come and get you as soon as she’s changed,” Liz said as Jon left the room.

He found the nurses station without a problem and put on his best smile to get a cup of coffee that didn’t come from a vending machine. He walked back towards her room and stopped outside waiting to be summoned, leaning against the wall.

What the hell is going on? She’s gonna be ok, right? What if she needs surgery? Should I call someone for her? No, she would’ve asked me to. She was happy that I stayed with her, how could she think that I would’ve left her? I love her. Oh my god, I really love her. Look at me freaking out over this, I can’t lose her. I mean I know she’s gonna be ok, but I can’t lost her at all. I need her with me, in my life, part of my family.

Jon’s thoughts were interrupted as the door opened and Liz stepped into the hall. “You didn’t seem to get very far, did you,” she asked.

“I made quick work out of the coffee run,” he said showing her his cup. “How’s she doing?”

“You can come back in and see her,” Liz said holding open the door.

“Thanks,” Jon said walking right over to her bed and sitting on the side. “How are you?”

“I’ll be better once I see the doctor,” she said.

“But everything’s normal,” Jon asked looking from Melissa to the nurse.

“You can tell him,” Melissa said.

“Her bp is a little high, and so is her pulse, but that’s all to be expected. I’ll go see if I can steal Alex for you,” Liz said leaving the room.

“Alex,” Jon asked.

“He’s a doctor. Dr. Hunter,” Melissa said.

“And you’re really ok. I mean as ok considering,” he asked.

“Yeah I’ll be a lot better as soon as I can get some medication,” she said.

“Is there anything I can get you? Are you cold since you changed,” he asked looking at her wrapped in a blanket.

“No I’m fine, I kept my sweats on I just needed to take off the leotard so they can get to my shoulder,” she said. “But I would love a sip of that coffee, if you could spare a sip.”

“Absolutely,” Jon said handing her the cup as she took a sip.

As she continued to nurse the coffee the door opened and a young looking doctor entered with Liz. Jon quickly stood and moved out of their way to the other side of the bed. “Melissa what did you do to yourself,” the doctor asked.

“Hi, Alex,” Melissa said.

“You know I’d say it’s good to see you, but that may sound a little mean. You should just come see us more often down here,” the doctor said. “You must be the boyfriend that we’ve heard all about down here. Alex Hunter,” he said offering his hand to Jon.

“Jon,” he said shaking his hand.

“Now Melissa, I heard you fell off a beam and landed on your shoulder. Is there pain anywhere else,” Alex asked.

“No,” she answered. “Just my shoulder.”

“Ok, I see you also lost consciousness, so I’d like to do a full exam as well. Let me start with that shoulder and get you sent up to x-ray before I do the rest, since you appear to be fine,” Alex said reading the chart. “Would you like some privacy?”

“No, he can stay,” Melissa said taking Jon’s hand.

“Ok, let me see,” Alex said handing Liz the chart and pulling Melissa’s gown down exposing her shoulder. He felt the area that had already become discolored. Melissa squeezed Jon’s hand tight as the pain worsened with his touch. “Can you describe the pain?”

“It was a shooting pain at first, but it started to go numb in my fingers and hand a little while ago,” she said still squeezing Jon’s hand.

“And can you try to move your arm at all,” Alex asked.

“No,” she answered.

“Ok, all that along with how it’s looking right now, I’d say your diagnosis was correct. You said you’ve done this before?”

“It’s a common gymnast’s injury. Same shoulder twice,” Melissa said. “I know the drill by now.”

“Well, we’re gonna try to get you outta pain and good as new. Start her on 5 mgs of morphine; see if we can get you feeling better. Then I want a full series on that shoulder, and give me a head x-ray while she’s up there to make sure there’s no concussion. If it is dislocated, well pop it back in and then we’ll take it from there,” Alex said signing the orders on his chart. “Let me know if you need anything else I can do,” he said before he left.

“I already put you in line for radiology and they know its you so it shouldn’t be too bad. Lemme start that iv for you,” she said grabbing the necessary items. “You’re gonna feel a little prick, and it’s in.”

“You really are the best aren’t you,” Melissa asked.

“Your words not mine,” Liz said smiling. “Let me go get you the good stuff while I let this bag hang for a minute.”

When she left the room Melissa realized the tight grip that she still had on Jon’s hand, and quickly let go. “Sorry, I must’ve crushed that million dollar hand of yours,” she said.

“Don’t worry about it. I was there for all my kid’s births, I’ve learned to have a high pain tolerance. It sounds like your gonna be ok though,” Jon said brightly.

“Yeah, the pain should go away in a few days. And I’ll be in a sling for a while, it’ll all be good as long as I didn’t tear anything,” she said.

“What if you did,” he asked.

“Then they’ll probably try to talk me in to surgery. Not right away, but eventually,” she said.

“I’m sure you’ll be fine,” he said.

“It sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself of that not me,” Melissa said as Liz returned to the room with the coveted medication.

“Give this a couple of minutes, and you’ll be feeling much better,” Liz said inserting the medication in the iv.

“Thanks so much Liz. I really appreciate everything you guys have done. I know on a Saturday night I’d probably still be in the waiting room,” Melissa said.

“Don’t worry about it. One of the perks of working here, and now you owe us. That just means that you’ll have to come down and see us,” Liz said smiling.

“You got it,” Melissa said as she felt the medication starting to take effect.

“I’m just waiting on transport to take you up,” Liz said.

“Can I go with her,” Jon asked.

“No, you’ll have to wait down here,” Liz said.

“It gets overcrowded up there really easily, so the only people that are allowed up are parents of really little kids,” Melissa explained.

“But you’re more than welcome to wait in here, the room’s all hers,” Liz said as the transport team entered.

“Melissa I was hoping it was a bad joke that you were down here,” the one orderly said.

“Unfortunately not,” Melissa said. “I’ll be back in a little bit, you can call the kids if you wanted to check on them. Just dial 3226# and you can call anywhere.”

“Thanks,” Jon said giving her one last kiss as they took her from the room.

“She’ll be about 20 minutes,” Liz said before leaving Jon alone with his thoughts.

He anxiously paced the room for what seemed like hours before Melissa was brought back in. Jon was relieved to see that she was in much higher spirits as the medication was reaching the full effect and she was joking with the orderly that she left with.

“Glad to see you’re feeling better,” Jon said when she was back in the same place and all of her ivs were checked.

“I am,” she said with a smile. “Thank you for being here.”

“Mel, I already told you this is where I wanna be,” Jon said.

“I know, but no one ever really cared enough about me to stay here. You’re a good man Jon Bon Jovi,” she said, the medication making her speak more freely than she ordinarily would have.

“Well, I think anyone who wouldn’t want to stay with you is a fool. And I may be many things, but a fool isn’t one of them,” Jon said. “Do you want me to call anyone for you?”

“Nope, you’re all that I need right now,” she said as the door opened and Alex and Liz reentered.

“Have you ever thought of a career in medicine,” Alex asked.

“Why,” Melissa asked.

“Your diagnosis was right on the mark. No concussion, but unfortunately a dislocated shoulder. And I know you know what comes next,” he said.

“No, not tonight. I just wanna go home once it’s back in place,” Melissa said.

“You’ll have to sign an ama form you know,” Alex said.

“Wait, what does she need,” Jon asked.

“They want me to go for a CT to check for any muscle damage,” she said.

“Sweetie, while you’re here don’t you think you should,” Jon asked.

“No, I just wanna go home. I work here it’s not like I’m never gonna be back. If it’s still bothering me I’ll get a CT then. I’ve never torn anything before,” she said.

“I’m not about to talk you into anything, I know better than that. Let me go get Dr. Archer and we’ll be back to fix you right up,” Alex said leaving the room.

“You’re gonna have to leave while they reduce her shoulder,” Liz said.

“Ok, I’ll be right outside,” Jon said giving her a kiss on the forehead.

“I’ll be right here,” Melissa said as he left.

Jon took his time as he went back to the nurse’s station to try to get another cup of coffee. He then tried to push his luck and asked to use the phone, and a young nurse who recognized him let him use it. He used Melissa’s numbers to check in on Steph, and make sure she got to her friend’s house. Not realizing it was almost 10:30 he got Steph in full sleepover mode fully equipped with the giggles. He reminded her that she wasn’t off the hook, and she was expected at her mom’s on Monday for her birthday. She agreed quickly, wanting to get back to the fun around her. Jon said goodbye and headed back to Melissa’s room and caught Liz as she was leaving.

“Can I go back in,” he asked.

“You actually just missed her. They took her back to x-ray to check the placement,” Liz said. “She should be back soon, but you can go back in.”

“Thanks,” Jon said entering the quiet room. He continued his pacing until she was brought back in and given the all clear by the doctor.

“It looks good, and if you’re refusing the CT here’s the form you need to sign,” Alex said.

“Do you have a pen,” Melissa asked taking the form.

“Right here,” Liz said.

“Perfect, now can I go,” Melissa said handing the signed form back to the doctor.

“If you insist,” Alex said.

“I just wanna get home in my own bed,” Melissa said.

“I have to draw the line there,” Alex said.

“What, why,” Melissa asked.

“Given the amount of medication you’ve had, and even though you don’t have a concussion, you shouldn’t be alone. Unless Jon was staying with you that would be fine, but as a friend I’m not signing your papers unless I know you’ll be with someone,” Alex said firmly.

“I’ll call Angela,” Melissa said. “You can start the paperwork.”

“I’m gonna check your story before I sign anything, I’m warning you,” Alex said before leaving.

“Can you hand me the phone,” Melissa asked Jon.

“Sure, what’s the number,” he asked.

She gave him Angela’s cell number but it went right to voicemail. Tommy’s cell rang until it too went to voicemail, twice. “Where are they,” she asked. “Can you try the home number,” she said giving it to him. When that too just rang, Jon felt himself wondering why she didn’t ask to stay with him, or have him stay with her at the very least. “Can you try again,” she asked and Jon redialed the number. After letting it ring for close to two minutes, she handed the phone back to him frustrated.

“This is stupid, I’m fine. They live two minutes down the street from me if I need anything,” Melissa said angrily.

“Mel, why don’t you stay with me tonight and I’ll drive you to Angela and Tommy’s in the morning when you get a hold of them,” Jon asked.

“No, don’t be silly. I’m a grown woman I should be able to go home. I couldn’t put you out like that anyway,” Melissa said searching for a reason to say no.

“Melissa, do you trust me,” Jon asked looking into her eyes.

“Well, yes but-“

“Do you trust me if I tell you that you wouldn’t be putting me out at all?”

“I guess, but-“

“Then please, just let me take care of you.”

She searched her brain for a reason to say no, but in her medicated state she couldn’t. “Ok,” she said softly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for getting the chapter up so quickly and thank for letting me know you posted it. Love it keep them coming.

Bayaderra said...

Melissa, trust him hon! If you refuse to stay with him Angela will kick your ass! LOL!
Next chapter please!