Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chapter 41

“Carol, please,” she said smiling. “Mrs. Bongiovi always makes me think of my mother in law, even after all these years.”

Melissa nodded nervously before turning to his father. “John,” he said smiling. “It’s so nice to meet you. Jon’s told us a bit about you, only the good things I promise.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” she said nervously.

They stood in a bit of awkwardness for a minute, not really knowing what to do when Amelia reentered the room. “If you are ready for it, lunch is ready in the dining room,” she said.

“I think we’re ready, shall we,” Jon asked.

The all nodded and his parents led the way to dining room, as Jon and Melissa were a few steps behind them. Jon put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close, “Relax, you’re doing fine,” he said with a smile.

Melissa nodded with a nervous smile and followed his parents into a large dining room. The mahogany table looked like it could seat close to 12 without any leaves in it, and there were four places set in the middle of the table. A chandelier hung from the high ceiling in the center illuminating the room, and a china cabinet stretched across one of the far walls. His parents sat first, next to each other and Jon and Melissa joined them on the other side of the table. Amalia had a family style meal prepared and there were four bowls of food in the center of the table with large serving spoons. John Sr. was the first to take food, loading his plate up high and the rest followed suit, though in smaller portions. The food was just as good as it smelled, and they enjoyed minimal conversation as they enjoyed the meal.

Once they had finished the food that was on that table, which meant seconds and thirds for Jon and John Sr., his parents took a genuine interest in Melissa as they all enjoyed coffee and a variety of desserts.

“Jon told us that you work at a hospital that he’s been volunteering at, what is it that you do there,” his mother asked.

“I run the children’s program at the hospital. I’m in charge of entertainment and any special activities in my department. I deal mostly with patients that are in the hospital for extended periods of time. I like it this way, because we can really get to know the patients and their families so we are in tune with what they need. I also have my license in child development, so I do work throughout the hospital when they need me. I work with patients and explain procedures to them and try to relieve any fear or worries that they have,” Melissa explained.

“And she’s wonderful at her job. They kids really love her,” Jon said smiling.

“And I’m sure this sudden interest in volunteerism has nothing to do with you, right,” John Sr. said.

“Well, I mean, maybe. But Jon does a great job with the kids and they really love it when he comes,” Melissa stammered as the older man’s face broke into a smile. “Wait, Desiree warned me about you,” she said as she realized the sarcasm that was intended.

“You picked up on it much quicker than she did. That poor girl probably thought the worst of us,” Carol said.

“I’d be in that same boat if she didn’t just give me a heads up,” Melissa said feeling herself relax.

“You met Desiree,” Carol asked.

“Yes, she was here with Matt and Isabel when I got here,” Melissa answered not knowing if she said something she shouldn’t have.

“That poor son of mine, she’s been driving him crazy since she’s been pregnant. She even cut off football, hormones or not that’s just too much for one man to handle. Don’t ever do that to him,” his father told Melissa pointing at Jon. “It may kill him.”

“John, she’s pregnant, she’s allowed to not want to have football on every second of the day,” Carol replied rolling her eyes at her husband. “Did you meet Matt while he was here or was he too enthralled with the TV,” she asked turning her focus back to Melissa.

“Kinda, he was involved with the game so I didn’t want to bother him. Besides I understand the whole football obsession, personally I consider the Super bowl a national holiday. There’s never any mailed delivered, so the government agrees with me,” Melissa said smiling.

“Don’t let her get away son, its not very often you can find a woman who understands the religion that is football. Giants,” John Sr. asked.

“Oh no, its all about Pennington and now Favre for me,” Melissa said sarcastically.

“I hope she’s joking,” John Sr. said to his son.

“She is,” Jon said giving her a look. “She gives it as good as she takes it, but that isn’t something to joke about.”

“It’s not like I said the ‘D-word’ or professed my love for Tony Romo,” Melissa teased winning over John Sr. with each word.

Not liking being left out of the conversation, Carol changed the subject. “I do apologize for Matt’s behavior. Football is no reason to be rude.”

“I understand, I didn’t take it personally. I’ve met him a couple times before and he was always very nice. I think he even bought me and my friend drinks,” Melissa told her.

Carol raised a suspicious eyebrow at her, “You’ve met Matt before?”

“At Elements. My best friend had one of those year passes that comps the cover charge. It’s a great restaurant,” Melissa said quickly.

Satisfied with her explanation Carol continued. “It seems you’ve met everyone except for Tony.”

“Tony and the boys,” Melissa said.

“Yes those boys have certainly been through a lot,” Carol started to two pairs of warning glares. “They have, nothing against you of course.”

Melissa smiled, giving a little nod. John Sr. came in to relieve what could have become an awkward silence. “Stephanie Rose speaks very highly of you,” he said.

“She is a wonderful young woman, and the feeling is mutual I assure you. I haven’t spent a lot of time with her, but we get along quite well. It’s quite evident how much she loves her father,” Melissa said giving Jon’s hand a squeeze.

“Don’t be modest, the two of you became quick friends. They even talk during the week, Melissa has even been able to convince her not to give me such a hard time,” Jon said squeezing her hand back.

“Well, it could be said that one of the hardest people to impress is a teenage girl, and it seems like you’ve done that just fine,” Carol said. “It seems you’ve met just about all of Johnny’s family, has he met your family as well?”

Melissa sat not being able to speak. She couldn’t bring herself to say the word no. She opened her mouth and tried to will words out, but none would come. Out of her sight Jon shot his mother a fierce look, as Melissa looked for one parent to the other. Her hand found her necklace and her brain finally allowed her to speak. “I’m sorry will you excuse me a minute,” she said in an embarrassed daze. John Sr. stood when she stood, as she left the room no longer able to look them in the eye.

She left the dining room and looked desperately for a door to the outside. She got turned around more than once and finally found herself back in the kitchen where she nearly ran to the slider and out the door. She breathed in the fresh, crisp air and tried to will the tears in her eyes away. She nearly jumped out of her skin when Jon touched her elbow as he walked around her and stopped in front of her. He looked at her a minute, not seeing her this upset since their first date. He pulled her close to him and held her in a firm hug as he stroked her hair. Unknown to them, John Sr. and Carol couldn’t resist the urge to take a peak through the window and watched their encounter.

“I’m so sorry. Your parents probably think I’m crazy just to burst outta there like that,” Melissa said wiping away a loose tear.

“Don’t be silly, my dad loves you and my mom likes you too. But what’s the matter, talk to me,” Jon said.

“It’s just I didn’t think of it until your mom said it,” Melissa said pulling back from him so she could look him in the eye.

“About your family,” he asked, already knowing the answer.

She nodded quietly. “I mean my brain knows that my mom is gone, but being with your family. It just hit me that you’re never gonna meet my mom.”

“I’m sorry, baby,” Jon said giving her a kiss on her temple.

“Don’t be sorry, this is something that I knew. This necklace was my mom’s; I don’t know if Ang knew that when she put it on. My grandma gave it to my mom on her 16th birthday and then my mom gave it to me on mine. I feel close to her when I wear it, but it’s not the same,” she said.

“I wish there was something I could do,” he said genuinely at a loss.

“Its ok. She would’ve loved you. I mean she did love you, the rock star you. But I know she would’ve loved the man too,” she said. Jon stared into her eyes not knowing how to respond. “But we should get back to your parents before they think I ran away.”

“Do you want me to go back and explain,” Jon asked.

“Absolutely not,” she said. “It just caught me off guard, and a bunch of emotions. I’m fine. Promise,” she said turning back to the house. “I think you should lead the way, I didn’t think I could get that turned around so quick. I think I might need you to make me a map if I go anywhere alone.”

He laughed as he opened the kitchen slider and led her back to the dining room to see his parents in their seats talking. He pulled out her chair for her as she sat and looked at the curious faces across the table.

“I apologize for my behavior, that wasn’t very mature of me,” Melissa said.

“Don’t worry about it,” John Sr. said with a comforting smile.

“That is very kind of you to say, but I do owe you an explanation. To answer your question Carol, no Jon hasn’t met my family technically. My father left when I was really little and my mother passed away seven years ago. She was one of my best friends, which is why I was a little emotional. Meeting both of you and knowing that Jon wont be able to meet my mom. But I do have an older sister who’s out in Seattle that I guess is my last ‘family.’ Jon has met my two best friends who are more like family to me than my sister and her family. They seem like old friends now, it’s a little scary,” Melissa said trying to push out a smile.

“I am so sorry dear,” Carol said. “I had no idea, it seems like you have been through a great ordeal.”

“Oh, please don’t do that. I didn’t tell you that, so you would feel sorry for me. That was furthest from my mind. I just wanted you to know the truth,” Melissa said her smile becoming more believable.

“Well that you for sharing that with us. It takes a strong woman to be able to speak so confidently and eloquently about such a heavy subject,” John Sr. said.

Jon looked at his watch and noticed the time. “Mom, Dad, I don’t mean to pull the plug here, but its almost 5 o’clock and we do have plans for the night.”

“Of course,” Carol said. “Anything exciting?”

“It’s a big surprise to me,” Jon said smiling. “But we should get going.”

“Sit and talk to your parents for a couple minutes, I have to change before we leave anyway. If you will excuse me,” Melissa said looking at his parents.

“Of course dear,” John Sr. said.

Melissa stood and walked over to the door as Jon followed behind. “If you go right down there and make a left at the end you’ll end up in the kitchen. Amalia should be in there, she can show you what she did with your things.”

“Thanks, but this doesn’t replace a map,” she said and gave him a quick kiss before searching for the kitchen.

Jon lingered a minute to watch her walk away, to make sure that she headed in the right direction of course. Grinning like a fool he turned back to the table. “Should we go back to the living room where it’s a bit more comfortable,” Jon asked grabbing his mug of coffee.

His parents agreed and they headed towards the formal living room when Jon anxiously waited to hear their opinions. Once they were settled on the couches he took a large sip of coffee before asking, “No sugar coating, what do you think?”

“I think she’s fantastic. Smart, funny, knows her football, and she really cares about you,” John Sr. said.

“Thanks Dad. Mom,” Jon asked.

“I have to agree with your father. I’d like to think of myself as a pretty good judge of character and I see how happy she makes you. Any woman who is willing to tell us what she did though she only knew us a few hours, is a strong and confident woman. But God help her if she hurts you,” Carol said.

“But we barely know her son, so our opinions cant count for that much. What do you think,” John Sr. asked.

“Honestly? I think I love her,” Jon said. He had told Richie when they got home Sunday night and he warned him to be careful and to take things slow, but it seemed that every day he was with her his feelings grew more and more.

“Jon, you’re a grown man so you’re going to make your own decisions. Just be careful, I don’t want to see my baby hurt again,” Carol said firmly.

“But she passed the ‘parent test’ with flying colors,” John Sr. said brightly.

Jon heard a knock at the door and turned to see Melissa standing there looking a bit frazzled. “A map, I’m definitely gonna need a map. Or Angela,” she said. “I took everything with me just incase I never find my way back to the kitchen.” She gestured to her duffle in the hall and purse over her shoulder. She had changed into a pair of Soul sweat pants and an Asbury Jukes tee shirt and looked much more relaxed.

“That’s a scary thought letting her loose in the house,” Jon said chuckling.

Jon’s parents came up behind them, “I think we should be going, let you two get on with your night,” John Sr. said.

“It was so nice meeting you both,” Melissa said brightly.

“The pleasure was all mine,” John Sr. said.

“It was nice to meet you,” Carol said.

“I probably wont see you before you leave, so have a safe trip home,” Melissa said and extended her hand to them.

“Oh no, that’s not how us Bongiovi’s do things,” he said pulling her in for a quick hug and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Carol gave a similar showing of warmth with a hug of her own. “Have a great time tonight kids,” John said as he shook Jon’s hand.

“We will thanks Dad,” Jon said.

“Have a safe time, and no more texting and driving. You make me nervous,” Carol said giving him a hug and an exaggerated kiss goodbye.

“I’ll try mom,” Jon said.

“We can show ourselves out,” John Sr. said as he led his wife to the foyer and out the front door.

“So, those are my parents. Not to scary, right,” Jon asked.

“Not to bad at all,” Melissa said smiling. “They are wonderful people.”

“And they liked you, the really did,” Jon said.

“Good, because I’m not planning on going anywhere,” Melissa said giving him a quick kiss.

“Just what I was hoping for. Let’s get outta here though. Do I get any hints,” Jon asked showing her the way to the foyer.

“No sir, what would be the fun in that,” Melissa asked.

“Fine, I’ll just wait,” Jon said holding the front door open for her. He unlocked one of the remaining cars and Melissa headed over. He stowed her bag in the back seat and opened her car door, before getting in the driver’s seat. “Am I just getting directions?”

“Absolutely. You can head back towards the hospital and I’ll direct you when we get closer. It’s like 10 minutes from work,” she said not giving him any hints.

Jon drove up the driveway and stopped at the edge of the gate to check for cars before turning out on the road. Melissa took the opportunity to take a quick look back at the castle she had been in for the past 3 hours, still in disbelief.

“I see you looking. You could’ve taken a picture you know,” Jon teased.

“Be nice, it just feels so surreal. But enough about that, I wanna hear all about parent teacher conferences with the boys,” she said as he turned out.

“I swear I don’t know if I did the stuff that Jesse’s doing in 8th grade all by the time I graduated high school. The stuff they’re learning now, is incredible, but don’t even get me started on his behavior,” Jon said feeling completely at ease sharing this part of his life with her. Oh yeah, I think I love her, he thought as made the familiar drive continuing his story.

2 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Glad Melissa passed the "parent test" LOL! Now I'm all curious where is she taking him???
More Rachel, please!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet chapter. You can feel the bond growing!

Linda